• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

11 minutes of what true NFL ownership looks like…. BY A WOMAN!

TheBigKat

7 hours ago, Tbe said:

https://www.mlive.com/lions/2021/02/lions-owner-sheila-ford-hamp-sitting-in-on-offensive-defensive-meetings-heading-into-free-agency.html?outputType=amp

LLEN PARK -- William Clay Ford wasn’t very involved with the Detroit Lions during his final years as owner of the team. Martha Firestone Ford adopted a more hands-on approach when she took over in 2014, and it seems their daughter has been even more involved with team operations.

Sheila Ford Hamp is even sitting in on offensive and defensive meetings heading into the start of free agency on March 17.

People always ask me how much Sheila is involved,” special assistant Chris Spielman said on Tuesday morning during an appearance on 97.1 The Ticket. “Well, Sheila has been involved by being in all these personnel meetings. She’s sat in two days of offensive free agency meetings and defensive free agency meetings.”

Owners have different styles across the league. Some, like Dallas’ Jerry Jones and Jacksonville’s Shad Khan, have given themselves control of roster building. Others, like the late William Clay Ford in Detroit, are never around at all. Martha Firestone Ford was much more active in her years of ownership with the Lions, including dropping in on training camp, attending almost every game, sitting in the draft room, talking to draft picks and potential free agents and so on.

Sheila Ford Hamp has been even more active since taking over for her mother last summer, including firing the general manager and head coach she inherited just five months after taking over the team. She heavily pursued Chris Spielman to join the franchise as her special assistant, and Spielman eventually agreed after a couple interviews with Ford Hamp.

“She’s the one that put me over the top when I was deciding whether to do this or not,” Spielman said. “She’s fabulous. Great leader. She’s a leader to me. I was like, ‘Let’s go!’ Felt like I talked to a head coach before a game. She gave me a locker-room speech, and I was ready to run through the hotel door in Cincinnati.”

Ford Hamp was involved in the subsequent searches for a new general manager (Brad Holmes) and head coach (Dan Campbell), and now she’s sitting in on those guys’ meetings as Detroit prepares for free agency and the draft, which will be critical to forming the backbone of the new approach.

That’s not unheard of around the NFL, and Spielman was very clear that football people like Holmes and Campbell have the final say on all decisions. But it’s certainly a more active ownership approach than we’ve seen in Detroit, as the new owner tries to understand all the nooks and crannies of her organization. 

She even took Chris Spielman’s office at the training facility.

“I had an office when I got here, and all of the sudden I’m on the corner next to the exit door,” Spielman told The Ticket. “So what happened? Well, Sheila wants this office because it’s right in the middle of everything, which is awesome. And it just goes to show her commitment and what she wants and how involved she is being in these meetings and giving her opinion, which is fun. It’s cool to see the commitment that she has.”

“It’s not what you say, its how you say it”

18 minutes ago, Call Me James said:

The tepper involvement is only problematic because they suck at it.

He did want Fields but our staff went with Horn and extended Darnold…  So far he sucks at hiring people but he did hire a firm to try to help with that. 

• Pie 1

10 hours ago, Wes21 said:

.  Prior to the draft Brad and Dan said they were going too prioritize getting a WR.  That's what they told Sheila.  After the first round, Brad and Dan finalized their targets they wanted at WR in the second round.  At some point both of them realized if you look at how the draft was unfolding and their draft board, they would be reaching for a WR if they took one in the second round.  They also noticed that some of the guys they liked seemed like they would be available in the third and fourth round.  They took a DT in the second round and Sheila noticed they deviated from what they told her.  I can't imagine how Tepper would have reacted.  Brad took the time to explain to her why they took the guy they took, that the new plan was to go WR in the third or fourth round and showed her the list of guys they were targeting specifically.  She quickly understood and didn't challenge them on it.  The WR they ended up with was Amon-Ra St Brown.  So to say what has already been said.  Its easier to trust as an owner when the first time you might have doubted them ended up in a home run.

Triple yikes as Tepper's decision maker took TMJ and Tommy Tremble after Detroit's 2nd and their 4th rounder they used to select Amon-Ra. Nico Collins was also on the board. 

• Pie 1

11 hours ago, Wes21 said:

Fans were skeptical about Sheila's reported "involvement," but that was because someone tried to pump her up during an interview.  But he oversold it.  Which made it sound like Sheila was making football decisions.  She wasn't.  And you are absolutely right about Sheila being smarter about how she goes about her business than Tepper.  For anyone interested, here is the breakdown of the Lions power structure.

Sheila - Owner of the team since 2019 (officially in 2020).  She received ownership from her mother, Martha Firestone-Ford.  Martha was owner after her husband, Willie Clay Ford, died.  Willie was a bad owner but he was very loyal.  When Willie died and Martha took over, she made an important move.  During the 2015 season she appointed a man named Rod Wood to be Team President.  Rod was not a football guy by any stretch.  He was a highly trusted advisor who ran some of the Ford Family's other business and charitable interests.  At Rod's intro press conference he said "I am not qualified to run any other team but this one."   Lions fans were in a panic.  It turns out he was right in the bad way we were thinking, but also a good way.

Rod Wood - As Team President since 2015 and trusted family advisor for decades, Rod worked closely with Sheila when she took over the team.  HOWEVER, they both recognized they lacked the football knowledge to properly steer the ship on their own.  Rod's personality is very humble and he is very aware of his limitations.  He also likes to play the background and let others get the glory.  They decided to hire a "football guy" as a special advisor they could lean on.  They agreed to hire Lions legend Chris Spielman to fill that role.

Chris Spielman - Appointed by Sheila and Rod as a special advisor that reports directly to them on football matters.  However, he was given no real authority to actually "do" anything.  Chris' brother is Rick Spielman, former GM of the Vikings.  Chris has said "I know football, but I am not qualified to be a general manager."  That made him perfect for the role, because he would not be angling for the GM job or trying to be GM by proxy.  So that puts (3) people at the top of the food chain where none of them want to play general manager.  Chris played a critical role in using his connections to get a list of coaching and GM candidates to interview.  He also joined the interview process with Rod and Sheila.  A man named Mike Disner also joined the interviews.  He works under Rod on the executive side of operations.

John Dorsey - He fills a role as Senior Personnel Executive.  He is an experienced NFL GM that has a dual role of helping the General Manager as well as advising Sheila, Rod and Chris.  So if the top execs are doing something that is hindering the GM's ability to do his job, Dorsey is supposed to let them know.  He was also put in place to assist first time GM Brad Holmes get the program up and running.

Sheila has created a situation, by her own choice, that she is insulated by 2.5 people from making rash decisions as owner.  Her decisions are discussed with Rod and Chris at a minimum.  And for some discussions, Dorsey might be brought into the room.  One "incident" that was brought up earlier in the thread is when Sheila asked why the Lions were not taking a wide receiver.  Its important to understand the context.  Prior to the draft Brad and Dan said they were going too prioritize getting a WR.  That's what they told Sheila.  After the first round, Brad and Dan finalized their targets they wanted at WR in the second round.  At some point both of them realized if you look at how the draft was unfolding and their draft board, they would be reaching for a WR if they took one in the second round.  They also noticed that some of the guys they liked seemed like they would be available in the third and fourth round.  They took a DT in the second round and Sheila noticed they deviated from what they told her.  I can't imagine how Tepper would have reacted.  Brad took the time to explain to her why they took the guy they took, that the new plan was to go WR in the third or fourth round and showed her the list of guys they were targeting specifically.  She quickly understood and didn't challenge them on it.  The WR they ended up with was Amon-Ra St Brown.  So to say what has already been said.  Its easier to trust as an owner when the first time you might have doubted them ended up in a home run.

So are you seriously saying you think Tepper would not have listened when the competent front office people told him why they changed the plan to take a DT? You think he would have protested when they showed him why it was a better value? You think he would have forced them to take a WR in the second round? 

19 hours ago, TheBigKat said:

Tepper could learn a lot from Mrs. Ford-Hamp, she’s done more for that franchise in 3 years then her predecessors have in 50. 

Examples like her or Steve Bisciotti are what you’d look for in an owner

vision

resolve

hiring the right people

providing resources

then stepping aside and letting the people you hired do their job, not send in plays you’d like to see on a fortune cookie slip or having your wife watch the O-line drills or having the coaches meet with you on Mondays to review what happened

Listen to what she says and more importantly what she doesn’t say, buzz words like ‘analytics’

Yes Brad Holmes and Dan Campbell are amazing but the Lions and Ravens are where they are because of leaders like Mrs. Hamp and Steve Bisciotti

I used to appreciate your posts.. now your just miserable all the time. 

• Pie 2

16 hours ago, Wes21 said:

Not really.  Sheila is around the team and up to speed on everything Dan and Brad are doing.  But she doesn't make decisions or lead them down a particular road.  One benefit of having her around is it keeps Dan and Brad on track when the live bullets are flying.  They explain their draft plan ahead of time.  If they deviate, she doesn't pull rank.  She just mentions that they are doing something different than they said they would do.  Then they will explain why they are deviating from the original plan.

Another thing that happens alot is the coaches and staff give Sheila credit for things that had nothing to do with her.  So it makes it seem like she is "doing" more than she actually is.  BUT, one HUGE difference between Tepper and Sheila is that Sheila is willing to be patient and stay the course.  Frank Reich started 1-10 and got fired.  Dan Campbell started 0-10-1 and Sheila came out and publicly addressed the fans.  She told them she was as frustrated as anybody, but there is a plan in place and the team will reward their patience.  After winning only 3 games the first season, Dan started out 1-6 the following season.  Tepper fired Matt Rhule after a 1-4 start.  At 1-6 Sheila once again addressed the fans, preaching patience and allowing Dan and the staff time to show the fruits of their labor.  The team caught fire and finished the season 8-2.  The rest is history.

You're conveniently leaving out the fact that Rhule was in his 3rd season and Campbell was in his 2nd.  It's a lot easier to sell the fanbase on "patience" and "staying the course" halfway into the second season rather than the third, while there had been a clear downward trajectory.  "There is a plan in place"..."preaching patience"...I mean, come on that's just a very minor repackaging of the same exact pitch we were fed on Rhule's whole "7-year process" lol.  It's ironic because even your attempt at drawing distinctions between Tepper and Sheila, only further blurs the line between them IMO.  You can bring Reich's tenure into question, but it's not an apples-to-apples comparison since he came after the whole Rhule fiasco so Tepper appears to clearly be adjusting his approach and willing to cut ties early on rather than letting things play out in the spirit of "patience".  If Campbell didn't turn things around in Season 2 and the Lions looked dysfunctional throughout, I'd have a hard time believing Campbell would have been given a third season or at the very least, he would've been on a very tight leash in Season 3 (similar to Rhule).

Their approach seems almost identical...but again, the difference (and the only thing that ultimately matters) is that Sheila got the hire(s) right the first time.  Even her approach of hiring her close family business advisor Rod Wood as Team President very much echoes complaints people have explicitly levied against Tepper (unqualified nepotism hires...running the team like one of his businesses...etc.).

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

You're conveniently leaving out the fact that Rhule was in his 3rd season and Campbell was in his 2nd.  It's a lot easier to sell the fanbase on "patience" and "staying the course" halfway into the second season rather than the third, while there had been a clear downward trajectory.  "There is a plan in place"..."preaching patience"...I mean, come on that's just a very minor repackaging of the same exact pitch we were fed on Rhule's whole "7-year process" lol.  It's ironic because even your attempt at drawing distinctions between Tepper and Sheila, only further blurs the line between them IMO.  You can bring Reich's tenure into question, but it's not an apples-to-apples comparison since he came after the whole Rhule fiasco so Tepper appears to clearly be adjusting his approach and willing to cut ties early on rather than letting things play out in the spirit of "patience".  If Campbell didn't turn things around in Season 2 and the Lions looked dysfunctional throughout, I'd have a hard time believing Campbell would have been given a third season or at the very least, he would've been on a very tight leash in Season 3 (similar to Rhule).

Their approach seems almost identical...but again, the difference (and the only thing that ultimately matters) is that Sheila got the hire(s) right the first time.  Even her approach of hiring her close family business advisor Rod Wood as Team President very much echoes complaints people have explicitly levied against Tepper (unqualified nepotism hires...running the team like one of his businesses...etc.).

Sheila seems far more humble and far less pushy than Tepper.

Thats probably the key difference.

She can sit in on all FA scouting meetings, give her opinion, and be fine if they do something different. 

Tepper seems like he really pushes his preferences and opinions.

9 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Sheila seems far more humble and far less pushy than Tepper.

Thats probably the key difference.

She can sit in on all FA scouting meetings, give her opinion, and be fine if they do something different. 

Tepper seems like he really pushes his preferences and opinions.

This is my impression, and I could obviously be totally wrong. Tepper asks a lot of questions, asks people to justify their decisions, “have you thought of this?”, etc. IF his people can answer and show they know what they are doing, that they considered other solutions etc. then he’s ok.

37 minutes ago, Martin said:

This is my impression, and I could obviously be totally wrong. Tepper asks a lot of questions, asks people to justify their decisions, “have you thought of this?”, etc. IF his people can answer and show they know what they are doing, that they considered other solutions etc. then he’s ok.

I think you nailed the difference in how Sheila handles things.  She is not there to tell you that you need to draft X position and she's not there to tell you which exact player for X position she wants to draft.  She is there for you to tell her your plan.  She can then "be informed."  And if there is something blatantly "off" about the plan, Chris Spielman and John Dorsey would handle the football side of it that Tepper tries to handle himself.  When Brad Holmes was fired up and ready to make a big move up the draft board to get Penei Sewell, that wasn't something Sheila gave her opinion on.  John Dorsey was the voice of reason that told him to be calm and let the draft come to him.  And if Brad would have still wanted to trade up despite a disagreement with Dorsey, Sheila's attitude would have been something like "ultimately you are the one we put in charge to make these decisions.  So its your call.  I will support whatever you think is the best path forward."  That's how she talks.  Her dad didn't "meddle" when he owned the team, he just made bad decisions on who he put in charge.  Her mom didn't meddle either. 

I'm still wondering why the title of the thread has the phrasing "BY A WOMAN!"

What kind of sexist bullshit is this? There's no reason in the world that a woman can't be an effective NFL team owner, steady-handed executive and lead the turn around of a struggling organization.

And she has certainly been that. 

SMH at what came across as someone trumpeting their 1947 values in an attempt to belittle our current ownership. Yeah, our team owner sucks, and the Lions have gotten a great one. It's not gender. It's competence, something that is never gender-based.

This is some bullshit stuff.

And it's probably part of the atmosphere that ran off pretty every long-time female contributor on this site. Some of our best, smartest, most knowledgeable and funniest posters on the site were women. And they are missed greatly.

Frikkin' sausagefest. 

• Pie 2
  • The D 1
  • Flames 1

59 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

I'm still wondering why the title of the thread has the phrasing "BY A WOMAN!"

What kind of sexist bullshit is this? There's no reason in the world that a woman can't be an effective NFL team owner, steady-handed executive and lead the turn around of a struggling organization.

And she has certainly been that. 

SMH at what came across as someone trumpeting their 1947 values in an attempt to belittle our current ownership. Yeah, our team owner sucks, and the Lions have gotten a great one. It's not gender. It's competence, something that is never gender-based.

This is some bullshit stuff.

And it's probably part of the atmosphere that ran off pretty every long-time female contributor on this site. Some of our best, smartest, most knowledgeable and funniest posters on the site were women. And they are missed greatly.

Frikkin' sausagefest. 

Agree 100%. Unfortunately it is the mo for the person starting this thread.

• Pie 1