• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales Hire Temperature Gauge

How do you feel about the Canales Hire?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Canales Hire?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!
    • Indifferent

Joebucsfan is calling it a done deal..

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2024/01/dave-canales-is-the-new-panthers-head-coach/

Also, they speculate that it means Evans will be departing as well, not necessarily here

https://www.joebucsfan.com/2024/01/chances-that-baker-mayfield-mike-evans-return-just-dropped/

Edited by UnluckyforSome

3 minutes ago, Jay Roosevelt said:

You can tell he's a progressive offensive mind in terms of scheme but is also flexible enough to mold his scheme to the players he has.

some progressive minds border on complicated and really isn't a good fit for a lot of real situations. it's a lot of theory and academic, but in reality it doesn't really fit. you have to get the situation to fit the idea (square peg in round hole). 

Canales seems to be someone who looks at the situation as is and then thinks outside the box  and tries to see what he can do to improve it.

him coming from a personal trainer background i think can also play a role in his ability to motivate players. the biggest part of a trainers job is to get people motivated to push themselves to achieve great results. 

people may balk at the lack of play calling experience, but being a play caller isn't necessarily a requirement for being a good coach. but even at that, what he did for a first time play caller was pretty damn good considering who had throwing the ball.

and again, his ability to help out the QB...the most important position on the team...i think has been incredible, especially considering where QBs he's worked with before, during, and after he's worked with them. With him they saw great improvements. both Wilson and Geno saw a drop in performance after working with him and we'll likely see a drop in Baker's production next year.

interviews you hear from him and comments made about him, you realize that he looks closely at what players can and can't do and he'll scheme around it and develop them and get them to excel where ever they are.

it's a gamble to be sure, but every coaching hire and draft pick is a gamble too. odds aren't exactly in our favor, but i'm hoping that we did something right for once. 

• Pie 2

The more I looked the less I like it. At first it was all the work he did with QBs which is impressive but his offense with the weapons he had last year was not really that good. Seattle not even brining him in for an interview is a red flag.

DC with Peters and I asume Ben Johnson is an A. This is looking like a C- and it could end up being worse. So about as expected in the end.

• Pie 3

Helped turn around Geno Smith in Seattle, helped baker turn around his career in dramatic fashion. Young, very personable, high energy, coach. Will most likely have a lot to learn being a newer coach. But, as a person seems like a great dude and at the very least will help create a more positive culture.

^ good watch to get to know him

• Pie 2

20 minutes ago, Nate Dogg said:

What do y’all think about this? Idk much about him at all. Why is he considered a good offensive mind? 

IMG_3925.jpeg

He is good at getting more out of his QBs. He doesn't really run a good offense tho. It's a bet that Young will once again be the difference maker so...

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 1

20 minutes ago, frankw said:

If you gave him the benefit of the doubt and tons of rope there's no reason to not at least give Canales a season to show us something.

I don't follow the logic. It is an entirely different situation. We're like three seasons deeper into the toilet, with a decidedly worse roster, and still not necessarily a franchise QB.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

And I hope he will.

We'll see 

Dan had success at Buffalo and Seattle.  At the end of the day if we start winning Tepper will start backing off.  It's a pattern of several owners in the league.  

• Pie 1

22 minutes ago, UnluckyforSome said:

Numbers don't tell the whole story. They also had position changes and new faces on OL, a QB we jettisoned mid-season, no running game to speak of, a head coach on the hot seat, and yet they won the division for 3rd straight time, and got a playoff victory. Most folks had them picked to finish last in the NFC South.

Bingo. Its all about how he performed compared to expectations.  He worked with a QB on his fourth team in three years.  Expected to be last in the worst division in football. Instead they won a playoff game and Baker had the best year of his career.