• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Canales Hire Temperature Gauge

How do you feel about the Canales Hire?  

370 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the Canales Hire?

• Love it!
    • Hate it!
    • Indifferent

18 hours ago, frankw said:

Well we know we weren’t getting Harbaugh. And Tomlin stayed put. Bill Belichick is meh. So who was your pick?

I didn’t have a “pick”. I wanted them to conduct a legitimate search with qualified candidates. The guy we hired honestly hasn’t even earned an interview. He’s getting way too much credit for Geno who honestly just needed a chance to play again and Baker who actually had a pretty good start to his career and was dumped by the Browns (who might still be playing if they had him). 

Instead we get a guy who’s only been in charge of an offense for 1 year and in that year they weren’t really any good. Maybe the guy will eventually be a head coach and I don’t blame him for taking a job he’s unqualified for, but chances are it’s a few years too early on him. 

Tepper comes from an environment where a lot of people get hired based on how they look and sound and not the work and he’s brought that mentality here. That’s why he’ll be firing him in 2 years also. This was a hire they had to get right and they failed miserably…again. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, AceBoogie said:

I didn’t have a “pick”. I wanted them to conduct a legitimate search with qualified candidates. The guy we hired honestly hasn’t even earned an interview. He’s getting way too much credit for Geno who honestly just needed a chance to play again and Baker who actually had a pretty good start to his career and was dumped by the Browns (who might still be playing if they had him). 

Instead we get a guy who’s only been in charge of an offense for 1 year and in that year they weren’t really any good. Maybe the guy will eventually be a head coach and I don’t blame him for taking a job he’s unqualified for, but chances are it’s a few years too early on him. 

Tepper comes from an environment where a lot of people get hired based on how they look and sound and not the work and he’s brought that mentality here. That’s why he’ll be firing him in 2 years also. This was a hire they had to get right and they failed miserably…again. 

When you say qualified are you referring to head coaching experience or overall more years coaching in general?

I get what you're saying and why you're skeptical as it pertains to Tepper. I'm in the same boat. This move could ultimately prove fruitless you could be right. It could work out too who knows. But I think you're putting too much emphasis on experience in this instance. Canales success or failure will boil down to if we are able to turnaround our ability to assess and identify talent. If we keep drafting like poo and signing mediocre FA's it won't matter who the coach is. We'll see if that changes for the better.

Edited by frankw
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 2

He was the OC for 1 year but has over a decade of experience under Carroll. We wanted BJ last year who was the OC for one year, Mike McDaniel has less of a resume, McVay was an OC for 2 years with way less overall experience, John Harbaugh worked in special teams and then a DB coach for a year. Morgan clearly liked what he saw from Canales working with him in Seattle and brought him in to interview in front of the firm who it seems walked away impressed to. People get too caught up in how long someone called plays. 

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, AceBoogie said:

They hired an outside firm with a great reputation, has a small team including said firm, the new GM, the owners, the president of football and (I think) Jim Caldwell. They interviewed essentially everyone outside of Bill and Jim. How is that not a legitimate search with qualified candidates?

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, frankw said:

When you say qualified are you referring to head coaching experience or overall more years coaching in general?

I get what you're saying and why you're skeptical as it pertains to Tepper. I'm in the same boat. This move could ultimately prove fruitless you could be right. It could work out too who knows. But I think you're putting too much emphasis on experience in this instance. Canales success or failure will boil down to if we are able to turnaround our ability to assess and identify talent. If we keep drafting like poo and signing mediocre FA's it won't matter who the coach is. We'll see if that changes for the better.

Fair enough 

1 hour ago, PanthersGTI said:

His influences are interesting. Leadership from years with Pete Carroll. Learned offense from the McVay tree ( Waldron being the connection ). It's a good mix.

Carroll passed him over twice for a promotion to OC. Interesting.

• Pie 1

I wish we'd conducted more second interviews with other candidates. It felt like this was a bit of an abbreviated search in that regard but maybe I'm wrong.  And meh, I just have a bad feeling about the emphasis put so much on fixing BY.

1 hour ago, PanthersGTI said:

His influences are interesting. Leadership from years with Pete Carroll. Learned offense from the McVay tree ( Waldron being the connection ). It's a good mix.

He only worked with waldron for 2 years.  I am curious if DC is going to stay with the zone blocking concept

44 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He only worked with waldron for 2 years.  I am curious if DC is going to stay with the zone blocking concept

I wonder this as well, he had some interesting bits on making the offense "OL-Friendly". I know everyone raves over SF's QB Friendly offensive schemes... Interested in seeing  how this translates.

On 1/26/2024 at 6:13 AM, electro's horse said:

What the hell is innovative about him? 

Do you people just make up what you want to be true?

you can use whatever word you want, but he is obviously doing something to QB's, WR's and offenses that has caused an undersized QB to win a super bowl (Russ), a WR room consisting of Doug Baldwin, rookie Tyler Lockett and David Moore to be a super bowl winning trio, the career resurrection of Geno Smith and Baker Mayfield, and offense that was a drive away from being in the NFCCG tomorrow when people thought they would be bottom feeders.

37 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Evero 2nd interview with the Seahawks.

If we lose him it's really going to hurt.

I'm baffled by their process.

They strong armed a great coach out the door (admittedly he's 72) and didn't have someone immediately lined up to take over. I was sure they'd tampered with someone. 

11 minutes ago, OldhamA said:

I'm baffled by their process.

They strong armed a great coach out the door (admittedly he's 72) and didn't have someone immediately lined up to take over. I was sure they'd tampered with someone. 

Probably something happened behind the scenes. You're right they fired a good HC for no apparent reason.