• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

David, hi, some questions about this hire

1 minute ago, electro's horse said:

no other interview requests. 

Oh I have no doubt we're the only ones that wanted Canales.

I just don't believe he's the only dude we could get.  Ultimately, Tepper likes to outsmart the league (lol), and I think that's again what he is trying to do here.

3 hours ago, electro's horse said:

did you read this?

I know you weren't the one who actually posted the article, but it has virtually zero relevance to the outlook of a sports fan.  The article draws a distinction between cautious optimists and cockeyed optimists: the primary difference between the two, being the amount of effort each puts into achieving their desired positive outcome.  Whether the Panthers will be good or bad is entirely outside the control of us fans and our outlook.  You or I as an individual choosing to have a positive vs. negative mindset about the team each offseason has no correlation to how well the team will actually perform.

I don't know if the study dove into this, but I think the above concept plays into the excerpt that you quoted, highlighting the association between pessimistic outlooks and higher exam grades.  I would imagine intuitively that a pessimist is generally more likely to overprepare for an exam than an optimist, particularly a cockeyed optimist who assumes everything will work out and therefore will opt not to put the work in to study.  But then again this study investigates such a niche application of pessimism vs. optimism, i.e. with regards to exam performance of one psychology class at one university, comprising of a sample size of 67 participants.

16 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

I know you weren't the one who actually posted the article, but it has virtually zero relevance to the outlook of a sports fan.  The article draws a distinction between cautious optimists and cockeyed optimists: the primary difference between the two, being the amount of effort each puts into achieving their desired positive outcome.  Whether the Panthers will be good or bad is entirely outside the control of us fans and our outlook.  You or I as an individual choosing to have a positive vs. negative mindset about the team each offseason has no correlation to how well the team will actually perform.

I don't know if the study dove into this, but I think the above concept plays into the excerpt that you quoted, highlighting the association between pessimistic outlooks and higher exam grades.  I would imagine intuitively that a pessimist is generally more likely to overprepare for an exam than an optimist, particularly a cockeyed optimist who assumes everything will work out and therefore will opt not to put the work in to study.  But then again this study investigates such a niche application of pessimism vs. optimism, i.e. with regards to exam performance of one psychology class at one university, comprising of a sample size of 67 participants.

I think there is a decent portion of the "pessimistic" fans that do it in hopes to be proven wrong.  They either get to crow "I told you so" if we continue to struggle or their team is playing well and they get proven wrong.  It's kind of a win/win for them.  

It's just an odd approach to me because it's just sports.  Get intrigued, get excited, and if they struggle let's watch them try to figure it out again.  It's a fun hobby and should never be taken too seriously.  I swear some people are having nightmares about our QB and waking up in cold sweats.  He will either develop into a good QB or not.  If not we will just try again to acquire a new one.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

3 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I think there is a decent portion of the "pessimistic" fans that do it in hopes to be proven wrong.  They either get to crow "I told you so" if we continue to struggle or their team is playing well and they get proven wrong.  It's kind of a win/win for them.  

It's just an odd approach to me because it's just sports.  Get intrigued, get excited, and if they struggle let's watch them try to figure it out again.  It's a fun hobby and should never be taken too seriously.  I swear some people are having nightmares about our QB and waking up in cold sweats.  He will either develop into a good QB or not.  If not we will just try again to acquire a new one.  

Yeah this pretty much exactly sums it up and why I think it's frankly incredibly silly to try and extrapolate optimism for your favorite sports team into some broader diagnosis of delusion, weakness, etc. lol like bro, it's entertainment.  You can walk away at any point.  I would argue "weakness" is being beholden to a stupid trivial sports franchise that causes you distress at every waking moment, and then complaining about them online day after day.  I've never gotten to that level, but I'll damn sure immediately walk away from it all if I do.  Lowest I've gotten is apathetic this past season, at which point I'll either just have it on in the background while I'm doing something else or skip watching altogether.  Cause, ya know, I'm a big boy in control of my life and choose to prioritize things that make me happy instead of dwelling on things that cause me misery.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 3

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Preach.  If he doesnt work out we dont even have to argue about tanking.

Kentucky Fried Chicken GIF by KFC

• Pie 1

Ah yes… let the in-fighting begin. Dwell in the past ups and for now, past/current downs. 

don’t have lick of positive sense in any posts. And don’t let anyone know you might actually not give a crap about the team anymore. But still wanna post how horrid things WILL be. And how they WON’T change. 

Even though not one practice, Team meeting, FA signing/rumor or full coaching staff has been assembled in the past 48 hours. 

Wow… just wow. 

• Pie 2

19 hours ago, mav1234 said:

Oh I have no doubt we're the only ones that wanted Canales.

I just don't believe he's the only dude we could get.  Ultimately, Tepper likes to outsmart the league (lol), and I think that's again what he is trying to do here.

Sure, we could've hired "that bear," for example, so you're kinda stating the obvious. Neither Morgan or Canales got any interview requests anywhere else. Of course they weren't the only ones that we could get, but they were likely the best we were going to get considering the situation. 

Tepper's desire to fix Bryce, ergo Morgan's desire to fix Bryce, ergo Canales's desire to fix Bryce, is arguably the best thing that could happen to the Panthers moving forward...if Bryce can be fixed, which some people don't believe, or at least are highly skeptical of. That, along with the other obvious parts of this train wreck were never going to be attractive to the most attractive candidates. It was already reported that the Panthers were concerned with the optics of the situation and didn't want to look like abject idiots whom everyone was turning down. I don't necessarily believe that Morgan and Canales were our first choices at their respective positions, but I believe that both may have been the only higher profile guys with real and/or perceived talent that still makes Tepper look good, or at least look like he knows what the hell he's doing. So it was a win-win...at least for now. Realistically and optically, Tepper made lemonade out of lemons regarding these hires.

Now, media and fans can't necessarily say that Tepper is doubling down on bad decisions. My thing is, we'll really find out if it was all a farce the day that we have to move on from Bryce (if that day comes of course). That's the day that we'll really learn if Tepper has learned his lesson.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

56 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Well in just a few days OP was already proven wrong about Tepper keeping “his guy” in Tabor… 

This was huge. Tabor is a good special teams coach but was always going to be Teppers coach, not Canales'...

• Pie 1

He's Pete Carroll's protégé. Molded to master the book Bill Walsh wrote & apply it to the Seahawks while being the offensive genius whispering in Carroll's ear. Carroll wanted a young Bill Walsh like Paul Brown had & now he's the Panthers HC.

Let's hope it plays out the same as the 70s 49ers rolled through 4 coaches in a few years. They went after a failed 3rd pick in the draft in Steve Spurrier. Tossed him for a failed #1 overall in Jim Plunkett. Tossed him for a rookie QB in Steve DeBerg while Plunkett went on to win 2 SBs over the next 6 seasons. Ownership made Walsh try to correct DeBerg. 49ers were stuck with Deberg for 2 and a half seasons until ownership gave the green light to Joe Montana during his second season. Walsh was allowed to bring in his QB (Montana) to backup the young QB (DeBerg) that ownership wanted Walsh to fix. The 49ers couldn't attract any of the sought after coaching hires because of their ownership & they went with a GM in McVay who offered them a genius offensive assistant with only 1 season as an OC.

We can only hope that happens in Charlotte.