• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Doubling down on Young. I don't like it. We NEED Young insurance.

top dawg

This roster is too thin on talent to waste any picks on another QB right now.

I don't think Bryce is the guy, but trying to draft his replacement in the middle rounds, the season after we drafted him, isn't the solution.

Need to use those picks to fill in gaps and hopefully hit on a player or two, only way we are going to be able to replace Bryce is through a 1st round pick in the next year or two, or through FA when we give up on him.

• Pie 2

41 minutes ago, tukafan21 said:

This roster is too thin on talent to waste any picks on another QB right now.

I don't think Bryce is the guy, but trying to draft his replacement in the middle rounds, the season after we drafted him, isn't the solution.

Need to use those picks to fill in gaps and hopefully hit on a player or two, only way we are going to be able to replace Bryce is through a 1st round pick in the next year or two, or through FA when we give up on him.

I disagree. Some of you act like a first round pick is the only pick in the draft the produces a franchise QB. Not true. Secondly, it's going to take patience and swings to fill holes regardless, and the lack of a franchise QB is the largest hole that you can have, so you should hardly put all your eggs in one basket.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 1

20 minutes ago, Aussie Tank said:

Should be drafting a QB late every other draft. There’s always the chance they become trade bait by showing out in Preseason or become your Brock Purdy

I was just fixing to post that if the 49ers thought like some of these guys, they likely wouldn't have been where they were last year or this year. 

The NIners DID NOT put all of their eggs in one basket, and they're one game away from the Super Bowl AGAIN.

Edited by top dawg

5 hours ago, OldhamA said:

It wasn't a bad Oline in 2022 and they weren't bad receivers until they got here.

It wasn't exactly the same offensive line, with BC out.  But I agree with some others who said that the oline we had wasn't good at the offense we were running.  The oline was at its best when it was pushing ahead, with a power rushing attack.  They just weren't good at zone blocking.

As far as the receivers, outside of Thielen (who had a great year) and Chark, (and hurst if you are including te's) they haven't been anywhere but here.  

The best question to ask is this one:

Name an NFL QB who would have thrived here as a rookie?

Remember:

• 1.  No real TE help.  Tremble led the team in reception yardage with 194. 
  • Aside from a 33 year old WR, no real WR help.  Marshall?  Shenault?  Chark?  Pathetic production for whatever reason.
  • 3.  40% of the OL (both guards) were injured just about the entire season.
    • Note: Imagine you are a defensive coordinator playing us.  What are you going to do, considering 1-3 above?  Blitz up "A" gap and run stunts to confuse Guards like Mays, Zavala, Jensen--it was ugly.  Meanwhile, Bryce is asked to stand in the pocket and deliver vs. 7-man rushes.
  • 4. The offensive system was not catered to the talent we had on the field.
  • 5.  The play calling was horribly predictable.
  • 6. The pace was too slow--prevented a rhythm.
  • 7. Ninth most penalized team in the NFL.

This does not defend Bryce, but a smallish player like Bryce is the opposite of Cam Newton.  He needs weapons and he needs protection.  He needs OL who do not make mental mistakes to put him in long situations.  

Edited by MHS831
  • Beer 1

23 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

The best question to ask is this one:

Name an NFL QB who would have thrived here as a rookie?

Remember:

• 1.  No real TE help.  Tremble led the team in reception yardage with 194. 
  • Aside from a 33 year old WR, no real WR help.  Marshall?  Shenault?  Chark?  Pathetic production for whatever reason.
  • 3.  40% of the OL (both guards) were injured just about the entire season.
    • Note: Imagine you are a defensive coordinator playing us.  What are you going to do, considering 1-3 above?  Blitz up "A" gap and run stunts to confuse Guards like Mays, Zavala, Jensen--it was ugly.  Meanwhile, Bryce is asked to stand in the pocket and deliver vs. 7-man rushes.
  • 4. The offensive system was not catered to the talent we had on the field.
  • 5.  The play calling was horribly predictable.
  • 6. The pace was too slow--prevented a rhythm.
  • 7. Ninth most penalized team in the NFL.

This does not defend Bryce, but a smallish player like Bryce is the opposite of Cam Newton.  He needs weapons and he needs protection.  He needs OL who do not make mental mistakes to put him in long situations.  

No rookie would have thrived here, but some rookie would've showed something enough not to have damned-near the worst rookie year in NFL history. Reich and others were babying the prized overall first pick for a reason. Bryce showed basically nothing. Even when he had clean pockets, he overthrew many passes but short ones which have skewed his stats to look better than they are at first glance. 

I asked my son who is highly critical of the Panthers---to the point of labelling me and other fans as apologists over the years--whether he thought Bryce was a bust. To my surprise, he said, "Not yet." But, he also said that Bryce's ceiling is limited and limiting to the team overall (meaning that we'll probably never win a ring with Young at the helm). He said that all the talk of Mini Mahomes, Drew Brees or Russell Wilson is crazy and that he never wants to hear it again. LOL

But back to your point, I'm not even arguing that Bryce doesn't deserve an opportunity to retain his status as the starter behind an improved O-line and with better weapons at his disposal.; what I am saying is that he needs some young legitimate competition to play behind that same O-line with better weapons.

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

No rookie would have thrived here, but some rookie would've showed something enough not to have damned-near the worst rookie year in NFL history. Reich and others were babying the prized overall first pick for a reason. Bryce showed basically nothing. Even when he had clean pockets, he overthrew many passes but short ones which have skewed his stats to look better than they are at first glance. 

I asked my son who is highly critical of the Panthers---to the point of labelling me and other fans as apologists over the years--whether he thought Bryce was a bust. To my surprise, he said, "Not yet." But, he also said that Bryce's ceiling is limited and limiting to the team overall (meaning that we'll probably never win a ring with Young at the helm). He said that all the talk of Mini Mahomes, Drew Brees or Russell Wilson is crazy and that he never wants to hear it again. LOL

But back to your point, I'm not even arguing that Bryce doesn't deserve an opportunity to retain his status as the starter behind an improved O-line and with better weapons at his disposal.; what I am saying is that he needs some young legitimate competition to play behind that same O-line with better weapons.

But there is a lot we don't know.  Was he coached up?  Was he confused? Bryce has never been in the underdog role before.  Remember in that first game? He threw 2 picks?  I think that should have shown the coaches that he needs time--instead, they start him the entire season.  Dumb.  I think Bryce is a different animal, and I am trying to prepare for year 2 with a positive attitude.  I got very frustrated with him, and I doubt he is the answer--I just want to see what he can do.  We may have put him in the worst possible situation--a situation totally foreign to him--and told him to throw to covered receivers and step around the blitzes, etc.  I do not know what he was supposed to do, to be honest.  

Some

9 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

We have replaced our QB every year Tepper has been here without much success. Now we have a young QB we invested a ton of assets into that struggled in our offense. Before throwing more assets at that position we need to do everything in our power to create a decent offense to better evaluate these QBs. If we had a better offense like the Bucs when Baker was here we would probably be rolling with him right now and have all of those Young picks to use plus DJ. OL needs fixed, WR needs a WR1 and probably WR2, we need a TE, could use a RB that can catch the ball, LBs, another pass rusher, NT, CB2 and hope Horn can stay healthy.  I can’t comprehend using yet another asset in a QB and hoping it works for the what??? Teddy, Sam, Baker, Corral, Young 6th time in 4 years? 

This was the argument for not pulling the trigger on a QB to begin with and when tvey did, they drafted an outlier 

Young must  improve or he will be gone

62 sacks…id say 20 of those were on Young 

Too, im glad campen is gone as well…that oline was a little too comfy with status quo and there is something wrong  with Ickey. He needs to get his head out of his ass or be moved  on 

I didn't want Young but he is here  one year is what he gets 

im very leery of needing the  perfect situation for him to succeed  thats never going to happen 

its a performance based business  produce or someone will 

Im sure he is good to his Momma, puppies, and is a charming dinner partner but that's not what this job description is 

there are 51 other players whose livelihood depends in this kid and i think there should be competition brought in   Not big on being given without earning  

/end rant