• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bryce Young’s Arm Strength

0kBoomer

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

College highlights are as relevant as saying he won a Heisman.

None of it matters.

All that matters is what Bryce Young is going to do to improve physically and mechanically this offseason.

I'm not disagreeing that it makes a difference now.

He hasn't proven that he can succeed in the NFL but he has proven that he has arm strength to make any NFL throw.

His size is really only a detriment when it comes to being able to see over the pocket in short routes and then the durability.  Not arm velocity.

2 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

I'm not disagreeing that it makes a difference now.

He hasn't proven that he can succeed in the NFL but he has proven that he has arm strength to make any NFL throw.

His size is really only a detriment when it comes to being able to see over the pocket in short routes and then the durability.  Not arm velocity.

But he hasn't.

If he had he wouldn't have finished with the lowest yards per attempt of the last 20 years.

• Pie 2

Just now, frankw said:

But he hasn't.

If he had he wouldn't have finished with the lowest yards per attempt of the last 20 years.

That's a result of the offense.  

There are literally film of him completing every type of throw.  Quick out, deep out, deep in, deep post, 9 route, deep curl, slant, etc, etc.  

It may not have the same pop that are used to with Cam but he can throw the ball fine, even if it appears to float a little.

The picks that he threw this year weren't the result of arm strength. They were bad decisions.

• Pie 2

Just now, jamos14 said:

That's a result of the offense.  

There are literally film of him completing every type of throw.  Quick out, deep out, deep in, deep post, 9 route, deep curl, slant, etc, etc.  

It may not have the same pop that are used to with Cam but he can throw the ball fine, even if it appears to float a little.

The picks that he threw this year weren't the result of arm strength. They were bad decisions.

I'm going to have to disagree. He's made some nice throws along the way but by the end of the season it was clear all the defenses we faced knew his limitations. Now we have a coach that does too. What we are left with is salvaging this situation as best we can so we can get back to competing. I'm hoping Bryce will be highly motivated and ready to prove something this year. But I'm not going to engage in self deception and convince myself that as of right now he can make some of the same throws we've seen from the other rookie QB's. We picked the least phsyically gifted of the QB class at 1. Can't unring that bell now. But I'm still hoping something works out for us. We'll see.

• Pie 1

I will say this--the world we live in is so polarized people want to make instant decisions and then they fix in on their beliefs to such a degree, they would rather Bryce suck than be proven wrong.  I am not optimistic, but I have seen players come around after 1 year at QB.  This coach could be the difference.  Bryce has an adequate arm that is accurate when he has time to step into throws.  He is known to be smart.  He had a lot of voices in his ear, his OL sucked with 40% on IR most of the season, his WR room changed and had issues getting open, the play calling was predictable and vanilla,  and his starting TE underperformed and went to IR.  What support system did he have going for him? 

Baker Mayfield was a short first round pick who struggled and, if you ask me, was a bust when he got here.  Canales, using the resources around him (better than Bryce's right now) devised a system where he would be successful, and he was.  John Elway completed 47.5% of his passes during his rookie season, and threw twice as many picks as he did TDs (7).   Wonder what Denver fans were saying?  Tua in Miami in year 1 completed 64% of his passes and had more than twice as many TDs than Picks.  They wanted him gone.  In 2022, however, he threw 25 TDs and only 8 interceptions.  They thought first overall pick Terry Bradshaw was a bust in Pittsburgh after his rookie season behind a bad offense.  He completed 38.1% of his passes and threw 6 TDs against 24 interceptions.  11% of his passing attempts were picked off---1 out of every 9.  What a bum. 

A bum that wears a yellow jacket and has a few rings. 

Just give the kid a chance.  The rookie campaign was not good, but every aspect of his supporting cast LET HIM DOWN.  He is 22 years old.  When terrorists flew planes in the twin towers, he was being conceived.  When I was 22 I was laughing at fart jokes and still trying to decide on a major.  Nobody here has ever had to perform under that kind of pressure.  Give Bryce a year under Canales.  If he is no better, he will be benched and we will go back into the QB market. 

• Beer 1

6 minutes ago, frankw said:

right now he can't make some of the same throws we've seen from the other rookie QB's. 

I don't disagree with that.  We have some common ground. 

But that doesn't mean he can't make your standard NFL throws.  He's just not going to have the HOLY poo, LOOK AT THAT THROW type arm.  Levis, Richardson, and kind of Stroud have that.   

The problem with football fans is that there is no middle ground, you are either Josh Allen or Brock Purdy in terms of arm strength. While Bryce is never going to prime Cam but he can make all the throws. you can see it with those opposite hash outs routes, you don't even throw that unless you can sling it because those are interceptions.

The most important thing this off season is fixing the middle of the line so Bryce as a place to step in to

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

2 hours ago, 0kBoomer said:

He has all the arm strength needed to be successful. What he needs is a pocket he can actually step up in and receivers who can get separation. 

I think there are some clear issues his size is going to cause in terms of his ability to sit in the pocket and make the throws at this level.   It's not college.  I really think his vision gets obstructed on certain plays/routes.....which is going to cause him to not sit/stand where ideally a NFL QB would be on certain plays.  Which is why he often would miss a wide open check down.  Couldn't see it. 

he doesn't have the arm strength to make all the throws you want to see at this level.  That's no really debatable.  Windows are much smaller and tougher at this level.  Ball has to get there quicker than college and often you aren't going to be able to setup for every throw (which he needs to).  Technically he can make the throw, certain throws are going to be invitations for picks though.  We saw that often last season with some of the tougher throws on an arm. 

I mean, if we are going to compare him to his peers and ideal NFL play....he doesn't have the arm to make the plays others can.  He just doesn't.   Can you still win with it? Sure.  We have seen QBs still play at a high level when their arms strength goes away.  But that ideally should not be where you start off. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, countryboi said:

The problem with football fans is that there is no middle ground, you are either Josh Allen or Brock Purdy in terms of arm strength. While Bryce is never going to prime Cam but he can make all the throws. you can see it with those opposite hash outs routes, you don't even throw that unless you can sling it because those are interceptions.

The most important thing this off season is fixing the middle of the line so Bryce as a place to step in to

I would love it if Young had Purdy's arm strength. 

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

When he has the time to fully step in to his throws and conditions are ideal, he can probably make most standard short to intermediate throws. But he has never had a good deep ball, not even in College. He will struggle to go beyond intermediate throws and that gives the defense somewhat of an advantage as they don’t really need to account for it.

We will do everything we can to build on what he does well, but unfortunately that puts a ceiling to what we can achieve as a team.

Btw, I would love to be wrong as I’m all about us having success. Team success is number one, and if Bryce is not that guy we need to move on to someone else the following year.

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, 0kBoomer said:

There is a lot of trash about Bryce’s arm here. Let’s not forget CAN sling it. 

He doesn’t have a Josh Allen rocket arm. He doesn’t need it. 

He has all the arm strength needed to be successful. What he needs is a pocket he can actually step up in and receivers who can get separation. 

Lol

@poundaway

36 minutes ago, jamos14 said:

I think some of this is word play.

Technically, Bryce Young can get the ball to any location that a QB would throw to.  Yes.  

Can he get the ball there quick enough so the play would be successful? Not on a variety of the throws.  Takes too much time to get the ball there. 

• Pie 3
  • Flames 1