• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Go back to power running scheme..

Jmac

10 minutes ago, CRA said:

I got no issue w/ running the ball.   But I don't see the point in hiding Bryce Young at this point.  And I don't want to invest resources or acquire players going forward and building toward a run blocking centric OL. 

Biggest problem the Panthers have had is bad marriages.  If you want to "fix" Bryce Young.....you got to put him in a scheme that caters to him.  Not hides him.  No real end game to hiding him.  

I think we should focus on building a functional pass attack.  If Bryce can't do it you move on from him after or during this upcoming season.  Bryce needs speed at RB, slot, etc in the pass game.  You want to call him a PG and distributor.....have a scheme and talent that sets it up.  We didn't do that last year. 

So the disagreement here is I think Bryce can't be fixed as of now and you need it proven one more season.  I can't bare to endure another year of misery, at least this season's level, so yes, I want to prop Bryce up.

Also, you saw his passing charts correct? All he did was dink and dunk, which is epitome a PG QB. We had no vertical passing attack, but that's not what PG QB is known for and frankly, not what suits Bryce best at this level.

1 minute ago, 45catfan said:

So the disagreement here is I think Bryce can't be fixed as of now and you need it proven one more season.  I can't bare to endure another year of misery, at least this season's level, so yes, I want to prop Bryce up.

Also, you saw his passing charts correct? All he did was dink and dunk, which is epitome a PG QB. We had no vertical passing attack, but that's not what PG QB is known for and frankly, not what suits Bryce best at this level.

I mean, I don't think Bryce Young is a NFL QB.  He doesn't have the tools.  I think we are just playing a waiting game.  I think his ceiling is serviceable starter w/ great talent/scheme.   

I just don't want to invest resources (picks/money) into run centric players and scheme in the name of hiding/protecting Bryce for a season.  No big picture point in that. 

Bryce did dink and dunk....but not with dink and dunk skill talent or in a dink and dunk scheme.  It's was all stupid.  Everything about what we did.  

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

stuff he said heading into tampa pointed in the direction of being pretty adaptive and opportunistic...run if it's working, pass if it's working. 

with his emphasis on protecting the ball, i'd count on a lot of running and a lot of shorter high percentage passes.

but i think he's also going to be pushing the run a good bit. the goal, i think, is to be able to be balanced and proficient in passing game and run game so you can switch to or lean on either one as needed. if it goes the way it did in tampa, he's going to keep pushing some elements of it when it isn't working all that well until it is working. 

Got that impression too...

My biggest deal is that I want him to be smart. I don't necessarily care what his particular emphasis might be as long as he knows what he's doing.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

Got that impression too...

My biggest deal is that I want him to be smart. I don't necessarily care what his particular emphasis might be as long as he knows what he's doing.

it could be that it takes a half season or so for us to get stuff worked out. bucs got off to a relatively slow start with their offense before it started clicking. 

i expect a positive transformation. i don't expect it to be quick, though. 

• Pie 2

Just now, rayzor said:

it could be that it takes a half season or so for us to get stuff worked out. bucs got off to a relatively slow start with their offense before it started clicking. 

i expect a positive transformation. i don't expect it to be quick, though. 

That's apparently what Canales said about Tampa's line, that it took them until about midseason to really catch on

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Brooklyn 3.0 said:

Yeah, let's get a stud❌ RB then overpay him! Soon as we do he gets hurt or wears down.

A day 3 rookie isn't getting overpaid, not on his rookie deal anyway.  That's what I, and a few others, were advocating for.  We've already got Sanders to fit the bill you described, except the stud part.

3 hours ago, CRA said:

I mean, I don't think Bryce Young is a NFL QB.  He doesn't have the tools.  I think we are just playing a waiting game.  I think his ceiling is serviceable starter w/ great talent/scheme.   

I just don't want to invest resources (picks/money) into run centric players and scheme in the name of hiding/protecting Bryce for a season.  No big picture point in that. 

Bryce did dink and dunk....but not with dink and dunk skill talent or in a dink and dunk scheme.  It's was all stupid.  Everything about what we did.  

This right here sums it up perfectly. It's like the installed an offense that they didn't have they players to run it. On top of that it was so bad that even if they did it would have sucked anyway.  For the life of me I cannot figure out what the hell they were trying to do with the offense. One would think they were trying sabotage it on purpose. 

• Pie 1

9 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This right here sums it up perfectly. It's like the installed an offense that they didn't have they players to run it. On top of that it was so bad that even if they did it would have sucked anyway.  For the life of me I cannot figure out what the hell they were trying to do with the offense. One would think they were trying sabotage it on purpose. 

yep, the worst part about it....we actually went out and made a lot of moves in FA for the offense.  Which was the most mindboggling part of it all.  I mean, maybe Hurst made the most sense in reality from an on paper standpoint and he was used the least.  Sanders, Theilen and Chark made no sense for a Bryce O. 

we over invested in a small ball QB dink and dunk QB.....then went out and signed a bunch players who didn't fit what he would be doing and had a scheme that didn't cater toward it. 

I mean, we got dudes at BOA making millions that literally fail at basics. 

• Pie 1