• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rhule: "I wanted to draft Brock Purdy"

Mr. Scot

If memory serves, every qb that played for Rhule played better after he got away from Rhule.  

Mayfield played better in LA and Tampa

Darnold played better once Rhule was fired. 

PJ Walker played better after Rhule was fired.  

Even Bridgewater played a little better in Denver.  More TD's, fewer interceptions anyway.  

Had Purdy played for Rhule, no one would be calling him a game manager, because no one other than us would know who he was.  

• Pie 2

decent odds Purdy's name got brought up tons of places once every team was looking at 6-7th rounders and UDFA.    I mean, Rhule probably was more familiar with Purdy than any NFL HC.  He faced him multiple times in college. Rhule most likely is taking a grain of truth of running with it at Super Bowl time. I'm sure there were probably people in just about every NFL org that mentioned nearly everyone drafted at some point to some extent.  That's how UDFA get picked up in seconds once the greenlight happens. 

but all this is sort of refresher of why I wanted a clean slate.  Everyone found it convenient to pretend Matt Rhule was dictating the complete roster with an iron fist and Fitterer wasn't doing any of the bad stuff.  Fitterer was doing a lot of the bad during the Rhule era.  Rhule has pretty consistently called out that bologna narrative that the people who remained when he left weren't part of it (and there was never any leaked pushback to it.....and we know now we also employed a poo GM with our poo HC).  But this time it's different.  We are keeping just the good parts.....again. 

• Pie 2

9 hours ago, onmyown said:

I actually believe Rhule. There are much better lies to tell. But what’s it matter? poo coach and Purdy would’ve failed here anyways.

Bill Voth basically called bullsh-t on him with his statement.

12 hours ago, Panthercougar68 said:

You’re looking in a vacuum on 1 year. You have to look at the whole picture. There were plenty of bad decisions made in 2020 that we’ve forgotten.

I agree with @Mage and it wasn’t just 1 year. It was absolutely clear and reported in here multiple times (by Rhule’s biggest critics) that Fitterer had more control in 2022’s offseason. Rhule was on the hot seat and was forced to hire NFL experienced coordinators and trade ups like Corral in 2022 were literally identical to 2023 with DJ Johnson.

Purdy was drafted in 2022 and based on the hot seat (Rhule fired 5 games in)/assertions about more Fitterer control, it’s not surprising to me that Rhule would be overruled. In 2020/2021, it would surprise me but not in 2022.

Fitterer’s decision making was atrocious and pretty consistently bad where we got crushed on trades/no-trades in both 2022 and 2023.

Also, who cares about Rhule anyway? He’s gone. The guy really got to some people but it’s pretty easy to say that Rhule and Marty had a better draft together than Fitterer and Rhule/Wilks were far more competitive than our disaster of 2023. Doesn’t mean we want them back but given the choice, I’d go Rhule/Hurney over Reich/Fitterer or heck anyone/Fitterer all day long.

14 hours ago, Mr. Scot said:

How exactly does someone with final say on the roster get vetoed? 🤔

Correct me if I’m wrong, but didn’t you say that in 2022’s offseason that Fitterer was in control? Purdy got drafted in 2022 and Rhule was forced to hire experienced coordinators before the 2022 draft and he got fired 5 games into 2022 so he was clearly on the hot seat and not in control.

Do you really think it’s impossible for Rhule to have been vetoed in the 2022 draft? Heck, he didn’t even say that he would have drafted him just that he wanted to put him on the board.

I wasn’t in the room (neither was Voth), so who knows and frankly I don’t care, dude’s in the corn fields now and I really DGAF about Nebraska. Personally, I don’t think Rhule was in charge of the draft in 2022 so I can’t say he’s lying.

2 hours ago, CRA said:

decent odds Purdy's name got brought up tons of places once every team was looking at 6-7th rounders and UDFA.    I mean, Rhule probably was more familiar with Purdy than any NFL HC.  He faced him multiple times in college. Rhule most likely is taking a grain of truth of running with it at Super Bowl time. I'm sure there were probably people in just about every NFL org that mentioned nearly everyone drafted at some point to some extent.  That's how UDFA get picked up in seconds once the greenlight happens. 

but all this is sort of refresher of why I wanted a clean slate.  Everyone found it convenient to pretend Matt Rhule was dictating the complete roster with an iron fist and Fitterer wasn't doing any of the bad stuff.  Fitterer was doing a lot of the bad during the Rhule era.  Rhule has pretty consistently called out that bologna narrative that the people who remained when he left weren't part of it (and there was never any leaked pushback to it.....and we know now we also employed a poo GM with our poo HC).  But this time it's different.  We are keeping just the good parts.....again. 

It is funny how this thread got started by Rhule’s top fan and yeah, there’s still posts in here trying to blame Rhule instead of Fitterer as if Fitterer wasn’t truly horrible by himself in 2022/2023.

Rhule’s 2018 Baylor team was beat 28-14 by a freshman Purdy who had 2 TDs and was even the leading rusher and Rhule’s 2019 Baylor team squeaked out a 23-21 win against Iowa St with a last minute FG after 2 4th quarter passing TDs by Purdy. Yes, Rhule was absolutely a lot more qualified to know about Purdy’s abilities and yes, it’s not out of the question that he would put him on his draft board but that was 2022 when Rhule was clearly relegated to trying to keep his job.

I really didn’t like Rhule as a coach and I wanted him gone but it’s laughable how much space he takes up in the mind of some posters in here.