• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tim Donnelly on Trent Brown, Evans, Burns & Motown

top dawg

Donnelly says we should be attempting to address two needs with one move, and...that makes sense. I would like to think that we're beyond the point where something "makes so much sense that it will never happen," but we are the Panthers. Maybe, just maybe, under Dan Morgan and Dave Canales things have changed. All that being said, Trent Brown as the LT and Ickey as Guard, presumably with T-Mo and BC on the other side would make a lot of sense. The acquisition of Brown would be a relatively grand stroke for us in the grand scheme of things.

Mike Evans is a nice thought, but would he really want to come here? I really don't think so, but Canales is our wild card in what appears to be a relatively weak hand.

Lastly, remember when I started that thread before the trade deadline about how a radio host on the Lions official station threw out the idea of trading for Burns, well apparently there are still some traces of smoke out there in the Motor City about that possibility. As Donnelly says, just like in October, Jameson Williams should be required by us to be a part of that compensation. Of course their 29th should be mandatory as well (if not an additional day three pick). 

I've seen some here suggest that we take a first for Burns. That's obviously not enough, as Donnelly says, because Burns is worth more than that.

We will never get the deal that Scott Fitterer turned down, but their first and Jamo along with a 4th/5th would be excellent considering what they want and what we need. It would be a win-win in my book, and if it's ever going to happen it seems like this March/April is the time to make it so. Make it so, Dan!

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 3
  • Beer 1

4 minutes ago, csx said:

I'd be happy getting 1 first for Burns

If all we can get is a first, we may as well keep him. 

I don't get why you guys are thinking that Burns is worth so little. It must be a Huddle thing. He still wins at a good rate according to the tweet linked in the other thread. With someone like Detroit, he would probably kill it with an A+ rusher on the other end. Burns would probably put Detroit over the top, even with their need to upgrade their defensive backfield. 

• Pie 5
  • Flames 1

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I don't get why you guys are thinking that Burns is worth so little. It must be a Huddle thing. He still wins at a good rate according to the tweet linked in the other thread. With someone like Detroit, he would probably kill it with an A+ rusher on the other end. Burns would probably put Detroit over the top, even with their need to upgrade their defensive backfield. 

Because trading more than a 1st and paying premier player salary for a one dimensional pass rusher who isn't premier isn't smart for any team.

He's been here long enough to see he doesn't really move the needle 

Edited by csx
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 1

3 hours ago, csx said:

Because trading more than a 1st and paying premier player salary for a one dimensional pass rusher who isn't premier isn't smart for any team.

He's been here long enough to see he doesn't really move the needle 

Well, the proof will be in the pudding. I believe that you're underrating Burns. Like I intimated before, people don't really talk about Burns with such disdain unless they're on the Carolina Huddle. He's not Nick Bosa, but he's not exactly dog sh¡t either.

The problem for us is we're a sh¡t team for the immediate future, and we have no business really overpaying for anyone. Other teams are in a different circumstance and may actually put Burns and their team in a better situation to succeed.

Edited by top dawg
  • Pie 4
  • Flames 1

6 hours ago, top dawg said:

He's got lots of worth, but his price tag doesn't work for where we are as a program, particularly if hes set on 30 mil if he stays here. Need too much help at too many spots, imo. 

• Pie 3

I'd take a 1st for Burns on a heartbeat. I don't want to pay him huge money but letting him walk for a 3rdbround comp pick would suck too and we'd have to handicap ourselves in pursuing other free agents to protect that pick. Double whammy of suck. With that said, I'd rather let him walk than cripple ourselves with handing him a massive deal. So I'm basically down to tag and trade him for anything more than a late round comp pick.

• Pie 2

10 hours ago, top dawg said:

I think the question should be.  Is he going to produce enough to warrant such a huge salary?  I do believe some Huddlers are underestimating him. Especially if you consider that teams were running on us more than passing. Teams not having to fight in the 4th quarter makes it pretty easy for them to just run the ball. 

How I feel about it is this.  We traded two of our most gifted athletes in CMC and Moore without much in return.  That's on Fitterer.  We are in a rebuild mode and young talent could help Morgan and Canales build the team in their image.  Not to say Burns wouldn't be a good piece but if we received assets for him.  I would jump at them as long as a first and a couple other assets came with it. 

I would not trade him unless the deal was in our favor.  As you said many teams value him more than what we (Huddlers) do. We screwed the pooch on CMC and Moore.  We basically gave CMC away and Moore is looking very much the same. 

Trade him for what he's truly worth or keep him.  I see both sides. 

• Pie 1

Jameson Williams is, IMO the fourth option in that offense (ARSB, LaPorta, Gibbs being ahead of him in the pecking order). Detroit needs a compliment opposite Hutchinson too on a team with a small window. 

29 + Jamo -> Burns + Thielen would make me happy. 

That being said, doubt it happens but would be an ideal win-win if the Burns situation can't be resolved long-term here in Carolina. 

Brown as a FA and kicking Icky inside would be outstanding. BC to LG and draft a C to replace Boze would be nasty. Allows us a year or two to find a long-term LT of the future. 

12 hours ago, top dawg said:

Donnelly says we should be attempting to address two needs with one move, and...that makes sense. I would like to think that we're beyond the point where something "makes so much sense that it will never happen," but we are the Panthers. Maybe, just maybe, under Dan Morgan and Dave Canales things have changed. All that being said, Trent Brown as the LT and Ickey as Guard, presumably with T-Mo and BC on the other side would make a lot of sense. The acquisition of Brown would be a relatively grand stroke for us in the grand scheme of things.

Mike Evans is a nice thought, but would he really want to come here? I really don't think so, but Canales is our wild card in what appears to be a relatively weak hand.

Lastly, remember when I started that thread before the trade deadline about how a radio host on the Lions official station threw out the idea of trading for Burns, well apparently there are still some traces of smoke out there in the Motor City about that possibility. As Donnelly says, just like in October, Jameson Williams should be required by us to be a part of that compensation. Of course their 29th should be mandatory as well (if not an additional day three pick). 

I've seen some here suggest that we take a first for Burns. That's obviously not enough, as Donnelly says, because Burns is worth more than that.

We will never get the deal that Scott Fitterer turned down, but their first and Jamo along with a 4th/5th would be excellent considering what they want and what we need. It would be a win-win in my book, and if it's ever going to happen it seems like this March/April is the time to make it so. Make it so, Dan!

Make It So Patrick Stewart GIF

There is no way in hell the Lions are giving up a 1st, day 3 pick, and Williams for Burns. Can't imagine there is a team stupid enough to offer anything similar to that trade also.

I honestly don't think any team would offer us a 1st round pick now for Burns. If Sweat, who is a significantly better DE/OLB, was gotten for a 2nd, I think a 2nd is probably the best we will get for Burns now.

• Pie 1