• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rizzuti & USA Today on prospects we've talked with

22 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

No offense but I just don't see much NFL ability in Shipley, personally. I have him as a 7th-UDFA guy. I am sure he will get drafted but I just don't like him as an NFL guy.

he's tempting, but more because i'm a little bit of a clemson homer myself. honestly there's a few i'd rather have above him at any point in the draft who can do more of what i'm thinking we need. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

This is arguably one of the best free agent RB classes of all time. Unfortunately we made our play last year with Sanders. It's unlikely we will be buyers in that market because of the cap implications. 

First of all, my rule is (and I have never broken this rule--you have my word) is never give a RB a second contract.  If you look at the data, they peak at age 26 and most never earn the second contract.   But here comes Fitterer and he says, "Hey, let's pay top dollar for a RB off a team that had a great OL and a dual threat QB who had AJ Brown and Devonta Smith at WR and Dallas Goedert at TE and see what he can do here--" 

Edited by MHS831
  • Pie 3
  • Flames 1

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

First of all, my rule is (and I have never broken this rule--you have my word) is never give a RB a second contract.  If you look at the data, they peak at age 26 and most never earn the second contract.   But here comes Fitterer and he says, "Hey, let's pay top dollar for a RB off a team that had a great OL and a dual threat QB who had AJ Brown and Devonta Smith at WR and Dallas Goedert at TE and see what he can do here--" 

By that token, we need to be looking for Chuba's replacement.  He's in his final year.  I wouldn't mind extending him for a couple of seasons now rather than giving him a brand new 3 or 4 year deal next spring.  Unfortunately, we are stuck with Sanders this year before we can cut bait.

• Beer 1

3 hours ago, CRA said:

that's why i think he can fall to 4-5.  He was CMC lite in college.  He doesn't project that same lite status to me in the NFL.  I see him as a pure 3rd down RB in the NFL.   Which is the current big void in our backfield.   You be drafting a niche/roleplayer.   But I think he could fill it....and most 4-5 rounders have low odds of even sticking to the roster.  That's why I like those rounds for your RB committee. 

even if they don't get him, I want them to draft that type RB.  I don't need them to be able to play early downs.  You got 2 guys on the roster for those downs.  Bryce needs a natural pass catcher. 

We do need someone more dynamic in that aspect. But there are a lot of options in FA and the draft. Not a major need.

12 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

We do need someone more dynamic in that aspect. But there are a lot of options in FA and the draft. Not a major need.

Bryce used his RB a lot in the pass game at Bama.  Our new HC did it a lot at Tampa.   Not having a natural rec RB was a hole going into last season, and remains one.   And I am 100% against FA RBs.  Draft is the best place to build a good committee IMO.  Especially rounds 4-5.   

I'm just pounding the same drum I pounded last offseason.  Just louder now I guess.  Bryce needs quick targets in the pass game.  

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, Tr3ach said:

Today it was said that they officially ended talks with Burns getting a long term deal.   This is just a fairly weak class at edge, especially at 33.

Probably was a no brainer, we are looking to pay him probably 20-25m and he is looking for 30+

Go suck an egg Burns. 

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, bandu said:

the center from Wisconsin Tanor Bortoloni looks like he is going to be a latter round gem

so yeah of course the Panthers not talking to him is not surprising 

If he's still on the board in the sixth round when we pick, that would be a nice selection to wrap up our draft.  He had a solid combine, so his stock will rise.

• Pie 1

That TE is 6'7 260 lbs... that's WILD. 

Huge security blanket. As is Coleman and Thomas. Just throw it up. 

I think Coleman has the best hands but Thomas reminds me Harrison Jr a lil minus the route running.

They haven't even grown into their frames yet. 

Malik Washington is going to be a good one.

Worthy was my fav b4 the 40... he priced himself out of our range but Mitchell is good as well. 

Side note: That TCU TE is going to a nightmare to tackle as he gets stronger.

• Pie 1

16 hours ago, CRA said:

Bryce used his RB a lot in the pass game at Bama.  Our new HC did it a lot at Tampa.   Not having a natural rec RB was a hole going into last season, and remains one.   And I am 100% against FA RBs.  Draft is the best place to build a good committee IMO.  Especially rounds 4-5.   

I'm just pounding the same drum I pounded last offseason.  Just louder now I guess.  Bryce needs quick targets in the pass game.  

Chubba has gotten better in every phase of his game every season. I think they can ride with him. 

• Pie 1