• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brian Burns Franchise Tagged

shaq

1 minute ago, Jon Snow said:

It's not GM speak. They truly think he's something special. This team is FUBAR.

I hope that you're wrong, but keep a spot behind the podium for me to join you when I come to reality.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

6 minutes ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Probably aren't trading him.

Unless we give him permission to talk to other teams about a contract extension (like Lamar Jackson last year), we are keeping him.

The time to trade him is either before the draft, during is unlikely, after is pointless.

I believe the non-exclusive tag allows him to seek out offers. We can match or get two firsts. 

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

8 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This tells me that nothing has changed with this team. I do not want to hear Dan Morgan mention the word Dawg again. He's full of poo.

Yeah, that Tarzan chest pounding and Tool Time grunting may have worked at MLB, but not GM.  Burns is 25, so there is that--but I am not sure I would seek a long term deal.  Keep him for a season and see if you can find some others. I am also aware that we had some good edge rushers in Charles Johnson, Greg hardy, etc. that came of age in year 3.  MAYBE there is hope for Barno behind Burns--we shall see.  Leota was not that bad last season as an undrafted free agent, but he is more of a backup for YGM.  Johnson?  What the hell was that?  (BTW, he and Burns are the same age).

Edited by MHS831

Just now, top dawg said:

I hope that you're wrong, but keep a spot behind the podium for me to join you when I come to reality.

I hope I am too. But everything I'm hearing coming out in the press seems to indicate that the team seriously wants to keep him. 

2 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I believe the non-exclusive tag allows him to seek out offers. We can match or get two firsts. 

It does, but I still think it's unlikely we move him. Also we don't HAVE to get 2 firsts if we agree to another level of compensation.

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Soul Rebel said:

July 15th....clock is ticking, Tilis. Let's get this done. First hurdle is the NFL Draft, so if 0 is still a Panther after the draft, I think a LT deal gets done between then and July. No way they let a $24M hit remain in a very important offseason where adding talent is needed.

Why is this an important season? We barely got 2 wins last year. We aren’t fixing this team in one draft and FA. If we try to do that in one season we are basically repeating the last 6 years of futility. This is an evaluation year to see what pieces we have that are worth long term (Iky, Horn, Mingo and Young and the 2024 draft). Anybody not long term should be marketed if we can get something for them.

Also, FA is not where you add talent to a rebuilding team so the cap space shouldn’t be a concern. FA is where you should be adding the last pieces to the puzzle. We haven’t even unboxed the puzzle yet. If we are doing tons of restructuring so we can spend money now, we’ll be on a new coach and GM in a couple seasons. We need two successful drafts, before we worry about cap space and we are already missing 2 of our 4 top picks so we have to nail the drafts like the Rams did last year with no 1st.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

This tells me that nothing has changed with this team. I do not want to hear Dan Morgan mention the word Dawg again. He's full of poo.

You want him to walk for nothing? That is on Fitterer for turning down those trade offers. Morgan is in a no win situation here.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Personally, I think pressures are a more important stat than sacks because sometimes, the first to arrive and move the QB off the mark sends him into the arms of the last to arrive, who gets the sack.  I also would like a stat on how well an OLB holds the edge on a running play.  So maybe there is more to this than we see, but I get it--we live in the age now where college players do not attend bowl games in order to workout and not get injured.  Same basic concept?