• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why keep Evero for this?

The truth that very few people want to accept is that the defense wasn't good last year.  It just wasn't more obvious because teams had no incentive to go all out and score against us.  We were the least-thrown against defense in the NFL, and it ain't because we have lockdown corners.

There is a reason why in the 4 games we scored 20+ points in, we gave up 37, 42, 42, and 33 points respectively.  When teams wanted to score, they did.  

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, electro's horse said:

This is about refusing to let your DC leave for other opportunities before gutting his unit. 

How long do we need to wait before pointing that out?

Maybe longer than the first day of free agency 😆 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

2 hours ago, electro's horse said:

Surely Tepper, Morgan and co had to have an idea where this free agency was going to go. 

Why in the world would Tepper bring back Evero knowing the defense was going to be gutted? Why not tell him the situation and let him and his staff walk to a better situation?

Strikes me as almost sadism from Tepper. 

Maybe after last season, Evero realized that this defense needed gutting and has a plan in place.

The loss of Luvu for a relatively moderate price tag has me scratching my head.

Burns, he wasn't performing and wanted out of here so no one should have been wanting to keep him. Jackson? Way over appreciated by commentators, but fans know he was a liability.

I'm hoping we go back to a 4-3 defense and quit playing this hybrid BS that we've been saddled with since Tepper wrote the big, big check for the franchise.

Maybe Evero can rebuild it. It will take time, though.

• Pie 1

Because Evero is the fall guy. They will try to stack the offense and make it a strength and ask Evero to make the best out of the defense.

Evero will be fired if we suck. Corales gets another year. This is the Tepper way.

26 minutes ago, CamWhoaaCam said:

Because Evero is the fall guy. They will try to stack the offense and make it a strength and ask Evero to make the best out of the defense.

Evero will be fired if we suck. Corales gets another year. This is the Tepper way.

Is Corales the love baby of Matt Corral and Dave Canales?

• Flames 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

. . . when Evero agreed to stay . . . 

This is where your thinking goes off the rails.  Evero didn't have a choice.  He was under contract.  Each coach has a contract with the team.  Unless the team releases him from that contract, he can't go anywhere except to a higher job.  For Evero, that meant getting a head coaching gig.

The Panthers were the ones who made the choice to keep Evero.  Not the other way around.

1 hour ago, Mage said:

The truth that very few people want to accept is that the defense wasn't good last year.  It just wasn't more obvious because teams had no incentive to go all out and score against us.  We were the least-thrown against defense in the NFL, and it ain't because we have lockdown corners.

There is a reason why in the 4 games we scored 20+ points in, we gave up 37, 42, 42, and 33 points respectively.  When teams wanted to score, they did.  

Been trying to say this for months now.  Our defense was among the worst in the league last year in the one stat that actually matters:  scoring.  Know what we were dead last at?  Taking the ball away.  We had 11 all year.

Sure, we had big injuries on that side.  Yes, it was Evero's first year here.  I accept all that and am willing to watch and see how we do this year.

But bottom line, our defense was not good last year.  We are simply the victims of a narrative people want to run with that it was good.

I have to imagine Evero has been in the loop through all of this.

Ultimately this is probably good for him in the fact this will be a scenario where if he fields a decent defense through all this adversity he's pretty much all but guaranteed a head coaching job next year.

• Pie 1

56 minutes ago, BrianS said:

This is where your thinking goes off the rails.  Evero didn't have a choice.  He was under contract.  Each coach has a contract with the team.  Unless the team releases him from that contract, he can't go anywhere except to a higher job.  For Evero, that meant getting a head coaching gig.

The Panthers were the ones who made the choice to keep Evero.  Not the other way around.

I mean, that's a technicality IMO.  No new HC or team is going to retain an inherited coordinator into a new era who doesn't want to be there.    I mean, even look at how Canales talked about having Evero stay.  That was a W for him/the Panthers. 

I'm just not buynig a coordinator on the cusp of a HC gig.....was like yeah, losing all the defensive talent on the roster paired w/ bad O is a great idea for me and my future stock/goals.  Sometimes, I just look at it from a the most common sense stand point and go from there. 

and again, I largely make my assumptions around what the Panthers have proven to be.  A very very very poorly run sports organization.   I think too many tend to give them the benefit of the doubt across the board.  This place stinks.  And when odd things go down....I don't give them the benefit of assuming they are well run and have good plans in place.