• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Luke Combs shots fired

28 minutes ago, CRA said:

Again, you’re mad because someone said they don’t understand what the plan is.   That seems like a fine statement given it’s the Carolina Panthers.  

you could say the same thing last year.   Plan was to fix the O.   I didn’t understand what and why they were doing what they did then though

We got a brand new OC.  A one year OC first time HC who is calling plays and only called them one year for a meh offense built on vets.  Tepper is Tepper.  Lot of old faces from Morgan to Caldwell in house.   What’s the plan for Bryce? Put him under C and run the ball like Wilks? A Miles/Hubbard O?  Play action to Johnson? I don’t know what the plan is.  That sounds like a bad one given Bryce is Bryce and what he supposed to be for us.  

I got no issue with someone not getting it.  I’m glad you get it.  Hopefully you are right.   But I think not getting what we are doing is a fine take. 

You're being sensitive if you interpreted my tone as angry.  If you can't handle being challenged without getting defensive then tbh this is a strange place for you to spend so much of your time.

In general I think of a plan in pretty broad terms, as in I want a general sense of what the team is trying to accomplish during their offseason rather than just a bunch of seemingly random moves with no rhyme or reason.  If your personal bar for accepting that there's a plan is that you need to know how many plays in our playbook involve a playaction pass specifically to Diontae Johnson, then IMO that's a really weird impractical standard but at least your disagreement makes more sense to me.  But I don't think listening to Luke Combs speaking on the Panthers, (which many have pointed out, sounds like the take of a very casual fan) that when he says he "doesn't know what the plan is", that he means he's not sure whether we're going to run 35% 5-step drops or 38% 5-step drops and exactly what percentage of hitch routes vs. slants vs. drag routes Smith-Marsette is going to run, etc.

• Pie 1

36 minutes ago, CRA said:

I guess I use and view the language different. Take last year.  Easier example. 

I understood the company line/plan

I didn’t understand what they were actually doing though in reality.  It didn’t seem like a plan that was well thought out and would  work.  So I didn’t get the plan. 

I largely feel the same.  I get the official vague plan. I don’t see or know the actual vision/plans.  They have not stated a plan where I then go….yeah, that should work and is a good vision/direction.  

all I have heard is run the ball and make Bryce 1 of 11.  Just generic stuff. Nothing they have done makes me “get it” and understand an actual vision. 

either we are all on Bryce or we aren’t.  And I’m not sure I get what we are doing on that.   Straddling the fence? I don’t know.  So I got no problem with a local celebrity not getting it. 

I‘m just going by the actual actions of free agency not the coach speak as some call it. Not overspending on Burns, paying up for interior OL, trading a defensive piece for an offensive weapon, cutting older higher paid players etc…

I’m not concerned with Combs getting it. I’m sure he is just a casual fan and probably too busy to follow us as closely as people on a message board do. He probably just reads headlines. Burns was probably a name he knew and now he is gone, your average fan had no clue who Canales was and so on. 

Edited by ForJimmy

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I do think it's cute how people talk about evaluating Bryce Young as if we didn't see 16 games of him looking like a guy that's flat out not NFL caliber.

The implication is that the offense as a whole was so awful that it was hard to properly evaluate him.  It's not like this is some homer Huddle take...we've seen this same sentiment echoed by actual analysts, commentators, and multiple NFL executives/coaches/scouts.  Although the latter was apparently some coordinated psy-op by the rest of the league to try and trick us into keeping Bryce so that we don't rise to power.

And yes Bryce was undoubtedly part of the problem last year and his performance also negatively impacted those around him.  But if you have a poor performing QB, o-line, receiving corps, and coaching staff, then how the hell do you properly evaluate each of them individually when they all so directly impact one another?  Well, just keep one of them the same (Bryce in our case) and bolster the rest and if we still suck and have the same issues as last year, then chances are Bryce is the problem.  Or a major contributor to the problem.  We should have a better idea this year and I guarantee most of Bryce's supporters will slink away if he has the type of season he had last year.

• Pie 2

We just have to ignore inconveniences like atrocious footwork and an obviously subpar (I'm being kind) NFL arm. It would be a different story if he flashed talent and looked like he was doing as well as could possibly be hoped for given the situation. Instead he actually just showed constant limitations and very much looked like he was a huge part of the overall bad offensive situation. I came away from last year thinking there's no way this guy develops into a QB that can lift a team up. The best case scenario is that we build a San Francisco or Miami type of surrounding cast and he gets carried by them. That's a disaster considering what we gave up to get him.

29 minutes ago, MasterAwesome said:

You're being sensitive if you interpreted my tone as angry.  If you can't handle being challenged without getting defensive then tbh this is a strange place for you to spend so much of your time.

In general I think of a plan in pretty broad terms, as in I want a general sense of what the team is trying to accomplish during their offseason rather than just a bunch of seemingly random moves with no rhyme or reason.  If your personal bar for accepting that there's a plan is that you need to know how many plays in our playbook involve a playaction pass specifically to Diontae Johnson, then IMO that's a really weird impractical standard but at least your disagreement makes more sense to me.  But I don't think listening to Luke Combs speaking on the Panthers, (which many have pointed out, sounds like the take of a very casual fan) that when he says he "doesn't know what the plan is", that he means he's not sure whether we're going to run 35% 5-step drops or 38% 5-step drops and exactly what percentage of hitch routes vs. slants vs. drag routes Smith-Marsette is going to run, etc.

lol.  I give zero poos.  Mad is just a word because I’m lazy. 

you challenging my stance or Luke Combs? 

I got zero issue with Luke not getting it.  Nothing more or less.  Take all the issue with him not getting it you please.  And I’ll just defend his stance as reasonable.  

Do I get what the Tepper Panthers have been doing and are doing?  The answer is no.  Feel free to challenge that if you want.  I feel very comfortable with my position on that.   I don’t think they have much of plan outside of trying to not be a joke at this point.  

most things IMO on the board often are just people using words and have different meanings to them.  I don’t get what the Panthers are doing.  As I said, I technically get the official plan.  

But overall? Yeah, I got no clue what the Panthers are doing at this point.  I’m not sure they have really known either for some time.  Which is why they basically have operated from a no man’s land the past several years in this ambiguous rebuild/win now position…while firing yet keeping when no man’s land does nothing for them. 

30 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I do think it's cute how people talk about evaluating Bryce Young as if we didn't see 16 games of him looking like a guy that's flat out not NFL caliber.

Imagine if we had not done the trade, and we instead decided to start Matt Corral last season.  And let's say he hypothetically has the same supporting cast, and performed exactly the same as Bryce.

In that scenario, there is no way we aren't taking a QB with the #1 overall pick.  The only reason that Bryce is getting year 2 is because that's the only real option.  He isn't replaceable until at least the next draft.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We just have to ignore inconveniences like atrocious footwork and an obviously subpar (I'm being kind) NFL arm. It would be a different story if he flashed talent and looked like he was doing as well as could possibly be hoped for given the situation. Instead he actually just showed constant limitations and very much looked like he was a huge part of the overall bad offensive situation. I came away from last year thinking there's no way this guy develops into a QB that can lift a team up. The best case scenario is that we build a San Francisco or Miami type of surrounding cast and he gets carried by them. That's a disaster considering what we gave up to get him.

It’s hard to ignore. 

so when I say I have I no idea what we are doing?  It’s Bryce centric.  And there is no way to really escape that reality.  How are we going to win with that.  I haven’t heard  or seen anything that makes me understand. 

From the jump last year I didn’t get how the coaching and talent coming together made sense.  I’m still largely there.  Bryce is such an anomaly…..the only way I see him working out as drafted is a very unique Bryce O from coach to talent around him

6 minutes ago, CRA said:

lol.  I give zero poos.  Mad is just a word because I’m lazy. 

you challenging my stance or Luke Combs? 

I got zero issue with Luke not getting it.  Nothing more or less.  Take all the issue with him not getting it you please.  And I’ll just defend his stance as reasonable.  

Do I get what the Tepper Panthers have been doing and are doing?  The answer is no.  Feel free to challenge that if you want.  I feel very comfortable with my position on that.   I don’t think they have much of plan outside of trying to not be a joke at this point.  

most things IMO on the board often are just people using words and have different meanings to them.  I don’t get what the Panthers are doing.  As I said, I technically get the official plan.  

But overall? Yeah, I got no clue what the Panthers are doing at this point.  I’m not sure they have really known either for some time.  Which is why they basically have operated from a no man’s land the past several years in this ambiguous rebuild/win now position…while firing yet keeping when no man’s land does nothing for them. 

I think it's how you personally define "plan." There's a fairly clear team direction right now. Get stronger in the middle, get younger and get rid of bad contracts, build through the draft. 

Once we get past the draft and get our 90 plus pieces, then we'll start building a plan. Can't create an offensive game plan built on speed if you're WR core is running 4.8 40's.

No different really than saying you want to take a road trip to the west coast. West is the direction, but until you decide on the city, there really is no plan. 

• Pie 2

I'll judge the rebuild in a year. The roster will take several years but we if we see a team that can show fire and punch above their weight and draft some actual players it will be a sucessful year to me.