• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is the OL Set with 8 Players?

MHS831

11 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Thanks to BC's versatility and the addition of Nijman as a swing OT, the costs we have spent on the OL may save us a roster spot.  First, Brady Christensen has played OT and OG for Carolina, and he has always been a notch below average, according to PFF.  Last season, they talked about giving him looks at center, but his injury prevented that from happening.   Most of his experience here is at G, but he also has swing OT abilities.  Nijman is an excellent swing OT, an important addition that gives us Ekwonu insurance and depth at both T spots.  If you consider Cade May has been mentioned as the new backup Center behind Corbett, then he also has the ability to play 3 positions.  Here is how you have solid depth three deep and you do so with better and fewer players.  In the past, the OL has been a madhouse when a lineman goes down--we had 2.  It seems we had someone new in the game every week.  The OL needs to know the system and they need to communicate.  If I were coach, I would carry 8 total OL on the 53-man roster, saving at least one roster spot, and I would feel confident that I had depth on three levels.  Here is what it would look like:

(I would keep Zavala on the PS to begin the season--he needs it)  Green indicates a free agent addition

image.png.58dd7fe160e6e684b03fff793d14628c.png

i'd like to see brady slide in at center. i also think we draft a center. Ickey won't be starting long. Yosh has a ton of potential.

8 minutes ago, DeSim said:

9 OL.

Give me Powers with 33rd pick, no way he falls to 39th  

C or WR (if AD Mitchell is there) with 33rd

If no WR taken with 33rd, then with the 39th. 

mocks have powers going high. i'd even say if for some reason he falls into 20s we somehow move up.

Just now, RumHam said:

mocks have powers going high. i'd even say if for some reason he falls into 20s we somehow move up.

Yeah I doubt he gets to 33rd…but with centers, you never know.  Sometimes teams have them ranked completely different than everyone else. 

44 minutes ago, Newbie said:

We haven’t met with a single center prospect. I would feel better if we brought a couple in for draft evaluations. 

we might know already who we want and don't need to visit. if it's a big need that they want to address early, they might not want to tip their interest and give some other team a reason to jump ahead of us. 

• Beer 1

I'd like a center with one of our first two picks. There should be several plug in starters at the 33rd pick. Even if Bryce isn't the long term answer, an elite center is good for the long term growth of the team. We were spoiled with Ryan Kalil for all those years. We need to at least try to replace him. 

12 hours ago, MHS831 said:

Thanks to BC's versatility and the addition of Nijman as a swing OT, the costs we have spent on the OL may save us a roster spot.  First, Brady Christensen has played OT and OG for Carolina, and he has always been a notch below average, according to PFF.  Last season, they talked about giving him looks at center, but his injury prevented that from happening.   Most of his experience here is at G, but he also has swing OT abilities.  Nijman is an excellent swing OT, an important addition that gives us Ekwonu insurance and depth at both T spots.  If you consider Cade May has been mentioned as the new backup Center behind Corbett, then he also has the ability to play 3 positions.  Here is how you have solid depth three deep and you do so with better and fewer players.  In the past, the OL has been a madhouse when a lineman goes down--we had 2.  It seems we had someone new in the game every week.  The OL needs to know the system and they need to communicate.  If I were coach, I would carry 8 total OL on the 53-man roster, saving at least one roster spot, and I would feel confident that I had depth on three levels.  Here is what it would look like:

(I would keep Zavala on the PS to begin the season--he needs it)  Green indicates a free agent addition

image.png.58dd7fe160e6e684b03fff793d14628c.png

Better get a center

just because mays plays 3 positions doesn’t mean he plays them well.  

Austin has back to back season ending injuries and he isn’t getting any younger 

Brady is Brady  good guy  injuries as well and never played center to my knowledge 

it makes zero sense to spend all that money on guards and not have a solid center or take unnecessary chances with previously injured or inexperienced players

Zero

Edited by raleigh-panther

51 minutes ago, Panther'sBigD said:

I'd like a center with one of our first two picks. There should be several plug in starters at the 33rd pick. Even if Bryce isn't the long term answer, an elite center is good for the long term growth of the team. We were spoiled with Ryan Kalil for all those years. We need to at least try to replace him. 

If JPJ and Frazier are off the board there's a crater in talent.  I like SVP.. but at 33/39 might be too rich.  If Frazier is there at either pick we have to take him.  Otherwise Look at Limmer/SVP in the 3rd or after.

4 hours ago, grimesgoat said:

If you look beyond this year, Corbett is done and releasing Moton would free $17m in cap.  That's a big number.

I think the plan is for Christiansen and Nijman to compete for RT next year.

If Power-Johnson falls to 33, I suspect that will be the pick.  Otherwise I think they will wait until the top of the 4th and go with best available C to sit and learn for a year. 

That sounds like a very scary plan. I don't think I would like to downgrade from our only solid OL for years to replacement level players. That would make the money we just spent on that OL seem rather foolish.

• Beer 1

22 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

That sounds like a very scary plan. I don't think I would like to downgrade from our only solid OL for years to replacement level players. That would make the money we just spent on that OL seem rather foolish.

Our OL salary in 2024 is 69m vs. 42m league average.  It is expected to balloon to 87m in 2025, second highest in the league, and that is without Corbett.  You have to find a way to bring the average down to a reasonable level.  Team-building means looking out more than the current year.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Our OL salary in 2024 is 69m vs. 42m league average.  It is expected to balloon to 87m in 2025, second highest in the league, and that is without Corbett.  You have to find a way to bring the average down to a reasonable level.  Team-building means looking out more than the current year.

I agree with this. But I think they need a year or 2 to figure out if the QB is the right guy, so they're spending a little more to keep him upright this season. Last year's cluster fug was a complete throw away, and he'll have to learn a second offense in his second season. Good times. 

• Pie 2