• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Can ESPN Survive As Cable TV Fades?

49 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I listen to ESPN radio basically every Monday through Friday in the mornings and sometimes afternoons. Seeing as I've cut cable years ago, I can't speak for TV. 

ESPN is living on borrowed time as an industry titan. They had a window about a decade ago to adapt to the changing landscape of the viewership and they did not. 

It isn’t us that will decide our fate(those that grew up with them as a staple) it's the next generation that doesn't pay for cable and doesn’t pay for expensive streaming packages that include ESPN.

And that is why they will fail.

• Pie 1

42 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

ESPN is living on borrowed time as an industry titan. They had a window about a decade ago to adapt to the changing landscape of the viewership and they did not. 

It isn’t us that will decide our fate(those that grew up with them as a staple) it's the next generation that doesn't pay for cable and doesn’t pay for expensive streaming packages that include ESPN.

And that is why they will fail.

I think that it's all going to depend upon pricing. If customers perceive that value is there, then maybe they'll go for it. I am somewhat interested in a DTC approach, but I'm not interested in paying a lot for content (or similar content) that is free. All of the technology advances were supposed to make things more economical for the consumer, but things like YouTube TV, Direct TV and cable in general, as well as online and wireless services, seem to be providing less value to me. As long as that's the case, I'll pay the decidedly exorbitant price for Internet only and listen to free streaming via radio apps and watch free content across social media. These cable companies and apps that provide services that I have to pay for can kick rocks. They take EVERY opportunity to raise our prices when advances in technology makes things cheaper for them. I currently feel compelled to pay Spectrum for Internet, have had Netflix since they mailed DVDs because I like their catalogue and its convenience. And that's all I personally pay for. Now of course my son pays for Amazon Prime (which allows another person in the same household to share the service). I probably would pay for Prime if I had to (but they're getting annoying with ads), and my wife has been making noise about getting Walmart+ (but apparently tips are expected which has helped me stave that off). Between Netflix, Amazon, social media and a few other sources that I'm privy to, I have plenty of content, including sports content. ESPN radio is currently free (with adds) on TuneIn and Iheart Radio. I'm not interested in paying any more than $10 per month for streaming apps, and I don't believe that I should have to pay any more than $30 for cable or cable-like streaming services that include ESPN or NFLN. Seeing that none of that is happening, they can all kick rocks. Value (and really "principle") is the name of the game for me.

Oh, yeah, I also pay for PlayStation network, but with their price increases, I might kick them to the curb as well. A gaming PC and Steam seems like it may be a better value at this point.

Edited by top dawg
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I think that it's all going to depend upon pricing. If customers perceive that value is there, then maybe they'll go for it. I am somewhat interested in a DTC approach, but I'm not interested in paying a lot for content (or similar content) that is free. All of the technology advances were supposed to make things more economical for the consumer, but things like YouTube TV, Direct TV and cable in general, as well as online and wireless services, seem to be providing less value to me. As long as that's the case, I'll pay the decidedly exorbitant price for Internet only and listen to free streaming via radio apps and watch free content across social media. These cable companies and apps that provide services that I have to pay for can kick rocks. They take EVERY opportunity to raise our prices when advances in technology makes things cheaper for them. I currently feel compelled to pay Spectrum for Internet, have had Netflix since they mailed DVDs because I like their catalogue and its convenience. And that's all I personally pay for. Now of course my son pays for Amazon Prime (which allows another person in the same household to share the service). I probably would pay for Prime if I had to (but they're getting annoying with ads), and my wife has been making noise about getting Walmart+ (but apparently tips are expected which has helped me stave that off). Between Netflix, Amazon, social media and a few other sources that I'm privy to, I have plenty of content, including sports content. ESPN radio is currently free (with adds) on TuneIn and Iheart Radio. I'm not interested in paying any more than $10 per month for streaming apps, and I don't believe that I should have to pay any more than $30 for cable or cable-like streaming services that include ESPN or NFLN. Seeing that none of that is happening, they can all kick rocks. Value (and really "principle") is the name of the game for me.

Oh, yeah, I also pay for PlayStation network, but with their price increases, I might kick them to the curb as well. A gaming PC and Steam seems like it may be a better value at this point.

That's exactly what I mean, I know very few under 30's that pay for cable or the streaming equivalent. They piecemeal or share regular streaming services but not many are willing to pull the trigger on expensive options just to watch sports. They steal or avoid them.

As I said, the foundation is older Millenials to Boomers. As they age or die out, they will not be replaced. ESPN is majorly fuged.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Strange when I see this…seems to disagree:

The College Football Playoff and ESPN announced a $7.8 billion deal Tuesday that will give the network exclusive rights to the expanded postseason through the 2031 season, with the national championship game moving to ABC starting in 2026.

Edited by Shocker

2 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

That's exactly what I mean, I know very few under 30's that pay for cable or the streaming equivalent. They piecemeal or share regular streaming services but not many are willing to pull the trigger on expensive options just to watch sports. They steal or avoid them.

As I said, the foundation is older Millenials to Boomers. As they age or die out, they will not be replaced. ESPN is majorly fuged.

The only people still subscribing to cable or listening to radio are boomers/gen X.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1