• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tomlin on Diontae as a Panther gives me some anxiety

19 minutes ago, rayzor said:

lol who is amped up over the guy? i think he's a solid addition and could be exactly what we've been needing. am i crowning him an all-pro or any such nonsense? no. i just think that he's worth a shot and until he starts showing his ass and becoming a problem, i'm going to be giving him the benefit of the doubt. is that too amped up for you?

some people just need a scene change. that could be this guy. or he could just be a problem wherever he goes. until he is a problem, though, he's not. no point in getting worked up over a potential cancer until he starts doing some damage. no point in worrying about it because there's not a damn thing anyone can do about it. so why not wait and see? 

Agree with the last statement. I was just noting what others who have watched more of him had to say about him. Not writing the guy off but I’ll hold my excitement until he does anything of value for this team. 

1 hour ago, WarHeel said:

Agree with the last statement. I was just noting what others who have watched more of him had to say about him. Not writing the guy off but I’ll hold my excitement until he does anything of value for this team. 

getting excited or not is a personal choice. not getting excited makes it less fun to be a fan and if it's not fun then why do it...at least that's my personal take on it. i choose to get excited about it and not dwell on how things could fall apart. i'm just offering a different take than what had become the popular opinion that there's nothing to look forward to. 

• Pie 1

1 minute ago, NAS said:

Why?!! We practically got him for a bag of chips, we were going to cut Jackson anyway

Steelers spent a year trying to give him away for a bag of chips.   I think that's the subtle and natural anxiety on landing him.   Basically, the problem outweighs the talent.  And Tomlin is better than many at managing problems. 

Who knows.  Can never predict things really.  How personalities and people do from one play to another because of all the variables.    Just go to hope Johnson wants a really big payday and plays nice in hopes of earning it off his play this season. 

• Pie 1

Well, they did their homework on Johnson before trading for him according to Dan. That makes me feel more relaxed. They were obviously OK with what they found out. They sound excited about his ability to get open.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39820064/will-diontae-johnson-help-fix-bryce-young-panthers-offense

One thing that I found interesting is that Mingo was ranked 34th by Next Gen Stats. I don't think that too bad by a rookie in an effed up situation. 

*Per NFL Next Gen Stats, the highest-ranked Carolina receiver last season in terms of being wide open (at least five yards of separation) when targeted was rookie Jonathan Mingo, who ranked 34th at 16%. Johnson ranked 13th at 22%."

28 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Well, they did their homework on Johnson before trading for him according to Dan. That makes me feel more relaxed. They were obviously OK with what they found out. They sound excited about his ability to get open.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39820064/will-diontae-johnson-help-fix-bryce-young-panthers-offense

One thing that I found interesting is that Mingo was ranked 34th by Next Gen Stats. I don't think that too bad by a rookie in an effed up situation. 

*Per NFL Next Gen Stats, the highest-ranked Carolina receiver last season in terms of being wide open (at least five yards of separation) when targeted was rookie Jonathan Mingo, who ranked 34th at 16%. Johnson ranked 13th at 22%."

Whaaatt....no way!! You mean all those overthrown balls from bryce really werent mingos fault after all?!!

• Beer 1

My nephew and his dad are lifetime Steelers fans and I immediately asked them about the trade.  Their biggest thought was that Diontae is talented but is definitely a head case.  I think this could go either way but from what I have seen of Canales easy going style I am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling he will be able to keep this dude under wraps.  Might need the mighty Morgan to put the hammer down.

8 minutes ago, Paa Langfart said:

My nephew and his dad are lifetime Steelers fans and I immediately asked them about the trade.  Their biggest thought was that Diontae is talented but is definitely a head case.  I think this could go either way but from what I have seen of Canales easy going style I am not getting a warm and fuzzy feeling he will be able to keep this dude under wraps.  Might need the mighty Morgan to put the hammer down.

yeah, Johnson would be more of an 89 classic headcase WR than a DJ Moore get-along guy.  89 made a drowning Clausen's life probably tougher than it had to be.     

4 hours ago, Navy_football said:

That's not what that says at all. Wow. Just wow.

That's true, but it doesn't exactly reflect well on Bryce. Hopefully with presumably less pressure, Bryce and Mingo can finally hook up with regularity.

From what I've read so far it sounds like he's a baller but if he got fed up with Kenny Pickett...well...this could get ugly quick. Hopefully Bryce is ready to get all these guys together and build chemistry with them to limit the inevitable growing pains and miscues of a new offense.

• Beer 1

25 minutes ago, frankw said:

From what I've read so far it sounds like he's a baller but if he got fed up with Kenny Pickett...well...this could get ugly quick. Hopefully Bryce is ready to get all these guys together and build chemistry with them to limit the inevitable growing pains and miscues of a new offense.

Yea...it could get ugly fast with a head case......He might be dead cap money in the future...but hes worth a flyer.... Lets see what a sideline distraction he might become.

10 minutes ago, Johnstonny said:

Yea...it could get ugly fast with a head case......He might be dead cap money in the future...but hes worth a flyer.... Lets see what a sideline distraction he might become.

I mean Bryce needs someone to get on his ass, Thielen was visibly throwing his hands up in the air multiple times when he was open not getting the ball but that was about the extent of Bryces on field criticism

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1