• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Tomlin on Diontae as a Panther gives me some anxiety

Joe Person spoke with Mike Tomlin about Diontae Johnson according to Anthony Rizzuti of USA Today's Panthers Wire.

Says Tomlin:

“You’re gettin’ an awesome route runner, a guy that can create separation at the top of routes, a guy that’s tough to stay with."

He continued:

“He can win in non-vertical route-running and vertical route-running. So you get a guy with a complete skill set in that regard and I just think he’s gonna be a big asset to ’em.”

That's all great, right? I knew all that, and I, like others (e.g., listen to ehat Aaron Duncan and Damian Parsons say about him in the video in the other thread) was pumped when we signed him. I think that he's a better receiver than some Huddlers give him credit for.

The "problem" is that Tomlin obviously isn't broken hearted about DJ leaving, and I think that another comment that he made to person may portend something less desirable about DJ:

“Make no mistake, he wants the football,” Tomlin said. “But I think they all do.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/26/nfl-annual-league-meeting-panthers-steelers-diontae-johnson-mike-tomlin/

Look, I'm not saying that I definitely think that DJ is going to be a problem. He may not be any more of a "problem" than the average wide receiver diva. And he deserves to play with a decent QB which likely led to issues the last couple of seasons. But, will he ultimately be happy here? There's a potential for a fair amount of targets of course, but DJ comes to a situation where Pittsburgh was winning to one where the Panthers are consistently losing. Do you think he's the type (like Davante Adams is purported to be) that cares about his personal legacy more than that of the overall success of the team? 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all unfolds. Perhaps Canales and company with all the sunshine and positivity is actually a better fit. 

In any event, I wouldn't bet on DJ as a long term solution just yet, even if he seems like a great receiver to pair up with Bryce.

One last thing: we had another guy that wanted the ball all the time that worked out well. Perhaps I'm just reading a little too much into that last part Tomlin said, or should at least take the part about "they all do," at face value. I'm going to be watching closely though.

Edited by top dawg

1 minute ago, rayzor said:

sometimes a good thing is just a good thing. 

it's a good thing that happened. let it be just a good thing that happened. you know, until/unless it turns out to not be one. but just focus on the idea that this might just be a good thing for us and be glad it did. it's ok to enjoy things like this from time to time.

Well, you know, I'm trying. I'm old enough to know that you can be 100 percent right, and it's arguably a great outlook. But, I'm also old and cynical enough to know that the other shoe drops way more than we would like. 

I'll continue to try and summon my inner Canales.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

16 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Joe Person spoke with Mike Tomlin about Diontae Johnson according to Anthony Rizzuti of USA Today's Panthers Wire.

Says Tomlin:

“You’re gettin’ an awesome route runner, a guy that can create separation at the top of routes, a guy that’s tough to stay with."

He continued:

“He can win in non-vertical route-running and vertical route-running. So you get a guy with a complete skill set in that regard and I just think he’s gonna be a big asset to ’em.”

That's all great, right? I knew all that, and I, like others (e.g., listen to ehat Aaron Duncan and Damian Parsons say about him in the video in the other thread) was pumped when we signed him. I think that he's a better receiver than some Huddlers give him credit for.

The "problem" is that Tomlin obviously isn't broken hearted about DJ leaving, and I think that another comment that he made to person may portend something less desirable about DJ:

“Make no mistake, he wants the football,” Tomlin said. “But I think they all do.

https://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2024/03/26/nfl-annual-league-meeting-panthers-steelers-diontae-johnson-mike-tomlin/

Look, I'm not saying that I definitely think that DJ is going to be a problem. He may not be any more of a "problem" than the average wide receiver diva. And he deserves to play with a decent QB which likely led to issues the last couple of seasons. But, will he ultimately be happy here? There's a potential for a fair amount of targets of course, but DJ comes to a situation where Pittsburgh was winning to one where the Panthers are consistently losing. Do you think he's the type (like Davante Adams is purported to be) that cares about his personal legacy more than that of the overall success of the team? 

I guess we'll just have to wait and see how it all unfolds. Perhaps Canales and company with all the sunshine and positivity is actually a better fit. 

In any event, I wouldn't bet on DJ as a long term solution just yet, even if he seems like a great receiver to pair up with Bryce.

One last thing: we had another guy that wanted the ball all the time that worked out well. Perhaps I'm just reading a little too much into that last part Tomlin said, or should at least take the part about "they all do," at face value. I'm going to be watching closely though.

This is what the Steelers do. You complain and you’re gone.

He complained - he got shipped to the worst team in the league.

Picket complained about Russ, he was gone the next day.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

Not clutching my pearls just yet.

Reading between the lines we may have a talented WR upset about playing time and/or not getting receptions on his former team. 

if it works out it works out. If not it’s a really good/value stop gap at a position of need.  Canales has experience and can maybe channel some Pete Carol zen.  I also think AT and Moton can help temper some of this on the offense via veteran mentorship if something crops up.  

13 minutes ago, Tbe said:

This is what the Steelers do. You complain and you’re gone.

He complained - he got shipped to the worst team in the league.

Picket complained about Russ, he was gone the next day.

Mike Tomlin puts up with plenty of stuff. 

but Mike Tomlin's track record of getting rid of WRs.....is bad news for us.  Wallace, Brown, Holmes, Juju, Chase... Tomlin has almost an uncanny timing to date with that. 

• Pie 1

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

but Mike Tomlin's track record of getting rid of WRs.....is bad news for us.  Wallace, Brown, Holmes, Juju, Chase... Tomlin has almost an uncanny timing to date with that. 

The good news is we gave up next to nothing for him as we were going to cut DJax regardless. 

• Pie 2

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

On the flip side, we traded a guy we were going to cut in a few days for an upgrade at WR.  No one is doubting Johnson's ability to play football.  If he sucks, we tried, and we move on with zero down side.

Maybe the trade is a wake up call.  Maybe Canales' style better suits Johnson.  We'll see.  As someone who errs on the side of hopium, I'm going to hope for the best (but not be surprised at the worst!).

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

Some of y'all are worse than my gf. Just go looking for problems.

41 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You gotta chill. That's like saying you're not sure if you're wife's good for you because her ex was able to peacefully move on and isn't broken up over things.

• Pie 1

18 minutes ago, d-dave said:

On the flip side, we traded a guy we were going to cut in a few days for an upgrade at WR.  No one is doubting Johnson's ability to play football.  If he sucks, we tried, and we move on with zero down side.

Maybe the trade is a wake up call.  Maybe Canales' style better suits Johnson.  We'll see.  As someone who errs on the side of hopium, I'm going to hope for the best (but not be surprised at the worst!).

I got no issue renting him for a year.  We got no talent.  He is talent.   I don’t view it much more than that. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1