• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Receiver Archetype We're targeting...

10 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Yeah, I think that some Huddlers---football fans in general---may have still gotten the memo and judge McConkey based upon stereotypes...I think that McConkey is underappreciated by many fans, but you know who didn't under appreciate Ladd? The players that had to face him. I honestly still believe that there are many that don't realize how quick and flat out fast that he is. You add that to a high football IQ, and he's a blessing as a teammate and a problem for the opposition.

My only question about McConkey is his lack of size, and whether or not he would be some reduancy with Juice and AT. 

I agree about the stereotypes, and they are not malicious. For example, Jared Lorenzen could stand in the pocket and throw dimes, like many fit NFL QBs, but it was hard to take him seriously.  That big kid for NC State looks wrong out there, but he has his team in the sweet 16--how good did they have to be to become exceptions?   I once heard Jim Caldwell talk at a conference, and someone asked him why they don't recruit white running backs.  He replied, "There just aren't many out there who are good enough--and that is not a racial statement as it sounds.  It starts in the younger leagues--Pop Warner and high school--because those coaches take the black kids and play them at the skill positions.  The opposite is true at the QB position. By the time these players get to the college level, they have either quit or they are playing the positions their coaches assigned them even before high school.  A black QB does not look right to some people, just like a white RB does not look right."  He called it a filtering process, and it happens in all walks of life--it made some sense to me.   I thought that was interesting--it was about 20 years ago or more, so much of what he said is prophetic.

I keep trying to dismiss Ladd from my pick at 33, but I keep going back.  He is the safe pick, and he is 6 feet tall and about 190--runs a sub 4.4 and was 5th at the combine among WRs in the athleticism score area--I do not see how you pass him by if he is on the board.  No, he is not as good as Marvin Harrison, but in any other draft, he would be top 20. 

• Beer 1

2 hours ago, Crixtala said:

Jermaine Burton

Alabama WR with one year of experience with Young. Seems to have the physical requirements, but I don't think ever had a season that blew anyone away. I think he's also got some off the field flags, for those that care about it.

Suspect he'd be available around 65 (a reach, imo), but that year of experience with BY could come in handy 🤷‍♂️

Lately, I'm on the AD at 33 and Pearsall at 65 train. Grab Adisa Isaac, T'Vondre Sweat or TJ Tampa at 39

Is Pearsall really mocked that late?! 

He would be really hard to pass up that late. Almost have to take him there if you're a team in need of receivers. 

2 hours ago, Crixtala said:

Jermaine Burton

Alabama WR with one year of experience with Young. Seems to have the physical requirements, but I don't think ever had a season that blew anyone away. I think he's also got some off the field flags, for those that care about it.

Suspect he'd be available around 65 (a reach, imo), but that year of experience with BY could come in handy 🤷‍♂️

Lately, I'm on the AD at 33 and Pearsall at 65 train. Grab Adisa Isaac, T'Vondre Sweat or TJ Tampa at 39

AD at 33 and Sweat at 39 i would do backflips

9 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I agree about the stereotypes, and they are not malicious. For example, Jared Lorenzen could stand in the pocket and throw dimes, like many fit NFL QBs, but it was hard to take him seriously.  That big kid for NC State looks wrong out there, but he has his team in the sweet 16--how good did they have to be to become exceptions?   I once heard Jim Caldwell talk at a conference, and someone asked him why they don't recruit white running backs.  He replied, "There just aren't many out there who are good enough--and that is not a racial statement as it sounds.  It starts in the younger leagues--Pop Warner and high school--because those coaches take the black kids and play them at the skill positions.  The opposite is true at the QB position. By the time these players get to the college level, they have either quit or they are playing the positions their coaches assigned them even before high school.  A black QB does not look right to some people, just like a white RB does not look right."  He called it a filtering process, and it happens in all walks of life--it made some sense to me.   I thought that was interesting--it was about 20 years ago or more, so much of what he said is prophetic.

I keep trying to dismiss Ladd from my pick at 33, but I keep going back.  He is the safe pick, and he is 6 feet tall and about 190--runs a sub 4.4 and was 5th at the combine among WRs in the athleticism score area--I do not see how you pass him by if he is on the board.  No, he is not as good as Marvin Harrison, but in any other draft, he would be top 20. 

There is a lot of truth to that racial stereotype idea. But, I will say that every high school and college (that are racially diverse) has white DBs and RBs, and black QBs. They just don't always translate to the next level. Maybe it does have a lot to do with where they were lined up when they were very young and just starting out playing ball in racially diverse climates. 

But yeah. Ladd and Pearsall are actual friggin athletes in anybody's eyes. If the Panthers could get Ladd in the 2nd and Pearsall in the 3rd, they should JUMP on it! Call it whatever you like, but those dudes would change the game on the same team. Heck, if they could get CMC back, this would be a trendsetting Panthers team. Black QB. White Tailback. 3 White WRs. The media would eat that ish up!

• Pie 1

50 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Yeah, I think that some Huddlers---football fans in general---may have still gotten the memo and judge McConkey based upon stereotypes...I think that McConkey is underappreciated by many fans, but you know who didn't under appreciate Ladd? The players that had to face him. I honestly still believe that there are many that don't realize how quick and flat out fast that he is. You add that to a high football IQ, and he's a blessing as a teammate and a problem for the opposition.

My only question about McConkey is his lack of size, and whether or not he would be some reduancy with Juice and AT. 

Theilen needs someone to rotate with in the slot and to mentor as his replacement. So I would not rule it out. 

2 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I have tried to like him, but I keep seeing Benjamin and Funchess in my head.  Make me see him differently.  A smaller, faster WR who runs better routes creates cushion and that is important too, but you could argue that Canales had a big WR in Tampa that worked well with a smallish QB---I dunno.  I'd rather have McConkey at 33.  I think it is close, but I will watch some more video from your point of view.

He had two total drops last season five total drops in the last 2 years he is the most sure-handed receiver in this draft

1 hour ago, Navy_football said:

Is Pearsall really mocked that late?! 

He would be really hard to pass up that late. Almost have to take him there if you're a team in need of receivers. 

just basing it on the way-too-many mocks i've done lately. he's usually there at 65-70 on pfn. just ran a mockdraftdatabase mock, and while he's mocked 54th best, he was available at 65

who knows how real life pans out

• Pie 1

4 hours ago, top dawg said:

Honestly, I think that Legette is an X-factor. There is a reason why you've heard that the Panthers are high on him. He isn't Coleman who is slow. It has also been reported that Legette is not as simple a route runner as some make out, at least we've heard that some believe that he has potential.

Remember that an important part of scouting is projection. If they can envision a receiver fitting in within their scheme and succeeding, then he will be on their list. No doubt that McConkey is on the list.

I haven't heard anything about Burton. Who is Burton?

Burton would be wr #4 on most boards if he didnt have character issues, but because of that some teams have allegedly taken him entirely off their boards.  Hes wr from bama.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, top dawg said:

He has the uncommon skill set of being really fast with elite quickness.   Hes a good route runner.  Im totally fine taking him, my one concern is he gets knocked off his routes easily. 

5 hours ago, Lurk21 said:

If Mitchell is there, he is the no brainer. A route runner with size and speed to do anything on the field.  I love a bunch of the wrs but he has went to the front of my list so far. 

Totally agree 

6 hours ago, MHS831 said:

I have tried to like him, but I keep seeing Benjamin and Funchess in my head.  Make me see him differently.  A smaller, faster WR who runs better routes creates cushion and that is important too, but you could argue that Canales had a big WR in Tampa that worked well with a smallish QB---I dunno.  I'd rather have McConkey at 33.  I think it is close, but I will watch some more video from your point of view.

I don't know..........I'm not a fan of Keon C at first, but the more I watch his films the more I'm fine if we pick him. He looks a lot like Michael Thomas for me and their measurement are almost the same too. I know he ran 4.61 for his 40 but in fact he was the faster WR for running the gaunlet drill in the combine. He busts and hand is incredible too. And you're right, Canales likes big WR, however I know a lot of huddlers here don't appreciate for another FSU prospects.

I'm all for Ladd McConkey at 33. Dude just gets open and makes himself and easy target for the QB. He definitely fits the profile of WR's that Canales had in Seattle like Golden Tate, Tyler Lockett, and Doug Baldwin so I wouldn't be surprised if that's they guy Canales is pounding the table for.