• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers extend defensive tackle Derrick Brown

Just now, TLGPanthersFan said:

I was unimpressed with him his rookie season and even his 2nd season. I honestly thought he was a bust. Then he just turned it on and made me look foolish. Which is fine by me. 

Then you weren't paying attention. If there was anyone on the defense being game planned around it was DB. 

• Pie 1

8 minutes ago, TLGPanthersFan said:

I was unimpressed with him his rookie season and even his 2nd season. I honestly thought he was a bust. Then he just turned it on and made me look foolish. Which is fine by me. 

Same. He was not very polished his first two years. Very glad to have eaten my words and watched him become an All Pro caliber player.

38 minutes ago, beckersteen said:

OK, but when have we ever shown the desire to keep our own drafted talent? It's just a weird message to attach to this after trading away CMC, DJ Moore, Burns, Donte Jackson and letting YGM and Jeremy Chinn walk. I guess we still have Ian Thomas lol!

CMC, DJ Moore, and Donte Jackson were all extended.

But when you have to rebuild, you have to trade your higher (or potentially higher) contracts for draft assets.  Its the only chance you have to get better.

ANALYSIS: WHY BRINGING DERRICK BROWN TO PANTHERS IS SO BIG

It’s no secret that Brown is among the best run stoppers in the NFL. His league-leading tackles number substantiates that. His teammates and coaches echoed that sentiment throughout the season, too — particularly after he was “snubbed” initially from the NFC Pro Bowl roster, an honor that values pass rushing numbers over everything else.

What’s less publicized but equally important? His versatility. Brown’s breakout season in 2023 came after Evero arrived and implemented a 3-4 defense, a departure from the 4-3 scheme that Brown saw steady success in for his three prior years. His evolution was impressive. He hit career-high season totals in tackles, run stops and quarterback hits with three games remaining, and that resulted from a system that called for him to react to the block first — run or pass — before transitioning into his pass rush. But that’s not to say his presence in the 4-3 scheme was middling.

The 2020 first-round draft pick out of Auburn, in fact, told reporters at one point late in the 2023 season that he thought he impacted the game more in the 4-3 scheme. Even if there was a hint of false modesty in there, it was revealing nonetheless. “To be honest, I feel like I played better last year,” Brown told reporters before his Week 16 matchup with Jacksonville in December. “But it’s one of those things where I feel like I’ve been able to be a big part of the defense and, you know, just do my job.”

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/article286084246.html

1 hour ago, frankw said:

One of the few very real leaders on this team that sets an example for the rest of the roster. Good for Derrick.

The Man of the Year nomination was surprising to me, probably because he is so quiet about his business.  But character matters.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, PappyMay said:

after signing draft picks we will be down to about $4million. Wonder what Dan is going to do next to free up some cash. Get 1-2 more players.

Is this after the new contract details are out? 

3 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

I take that back Luvu was a bad move imo, but I guess Morgan doesn’t think Luvu will be worth it the next time the panthers are competitive. 

My take on Luvu was that he was a bit slow to read (2 gap) and liked to shoot a gap.  Not a bad player, but he was a bit overrated by Panther fans because he flew in under the radar.  However, I would have kept him, but tough choices had to be made.  to me, not re-signing him tells me that we are going after a LB in the draft--Even if we signed jewell.

• Pie 1

25 minutes ago, electro's horse said:

I take that back Luvu was a bad move imo, but I guess Morgan doesn’t think Luvu will be worth it the next time the panthers are competitive. 

Everyone just assumes Frankie wanted to come back.  I suspect that was not the case, and I do not blame him.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1