• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Darin Gantt on Stephon Gilmore signing with Panthers

"[Stephon] Gilmore's going into his 34-year-old season and was making $10 million last year. If you look at the scope of all the Panthers' moves this offseason, you'll notice that [Jadeveon] Clowney is the only player brought in from outside who is in his 30s, and he's coming off one of his best seasons and played a position of extreme need. The Panthers are not deep at corner, but they're not the same kind of shallow they were at outside linebacker. If Gilmore was 29, or even 31 again, this deal might already be done. But he's not. He doesn't have to run extremely well to play his game (when you run a receiver's route for him like he did on the 2021 interception at Atlanta, you need to be smarter than fast), but they do need someone who can move. He's a great player. This might not be as much of a fit as it was three years ago."

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

I like the idea of having him here in my head, but with Rakestraw Jr, Lassiter, Mckinstrey, and Tampa all being available in early to mid 2nd round and then possibly Cam Hart there in the 3rd imagine he's someone they circle back to if we miss out on addressing on day 2 of the draft.

• Beer 1

If you do your homework, the draft has some CBs with real potential and there are dozens of them.  No real superstars, in my view, with the exception of about 3 players expected to be drafted on day 1, but there are many who can learn for a year and play when needed until next season.  I really like Jarrion Jones of Florida State who should be around in the fourth round.  Chris Abrams-Draine, Cam Hart, and Calen Carson all are zone CBs who are fairly good to solid tacklers.  I think we need a good one and and a developmental CB, at least 1 coming in the draft.

• Beer 2

27 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

Reading Gantt’s take on this is quite encouraging. Good to see the front office taking a fiscally responsible approach to FA. It’s a refreshing change from year’s past.

Indeed. Dan and Brandt have done a very nice job this offseason. Even the Burns trade doesn't look as bad three weeks later in comparison to other big name player trades. 

This from an NFL exec in an excellent The Athletic piece: "Now look at Carolina, both teams (referring to Tennessee Titans) overpaid, but Carolina made all their moves up front, so you could see what the plan was. If you are going to overpay, overpay with intention" 

https://theathletic.com/5382676/2024/04/03/nfl-free-agency-best-worst-insiders-reactions/

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

It makes more sense to draft a CB then to pay a 34 year old $6-8 million for one year 

Even if they signed Gilmore, they'd still need to draft his replacement. Same for clowney too.

Just sooooo many holes on this roster, you can say every spot minus OG, browns spot, and young you need to use a draft pick on. 

I think they already offered gilmore some 4 million deal, but he's looking for more/last big pay. Plus I don't think he wants any of this rebuild, while clowney took the 2 year cheese after 4 teams in 5 years. 

• Beer 2

I had lost track of the fact he will be 34 this summer. I guess that shows our desperation. Also shows how older some of us are getting waiting on this shitshow franchise to finally get it's act together lol. The draft is the better course of action. Let's see if we can actually do that worth a damn now that Bobby Hill is gone.

1 minute ago, frankw said:

I had lost track of the fact he will be 34 this summer. I guess that shows our desperation. Also shows how older some of us are getting waiting on this shitshow franchise to finally get it's act together lol. The draft is the better course of action. Let's see if we can actually do that worth a damn now that Bobby Hill is gone.

They signed troy hill who's the same age, he did play better than chinn as a NB.......but given horn missed more than he's played its easy to say CB is the biggest need/want for either 2nd rounders. 

My thing is they normally carry only 4 CBs- horn, jackson, hill, _______ . That's one sad bunch when horn goes on his yearly IR visit. 

• Beer 2