• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Dave Tepper would review play call data, review with Reich

This is also not breaking news. Reich said they had weekly meetings and Tepper wanted him to use more RPO like Bryce did in college. There was something about him writing a play design on a a piece of paper and asking them to run it. 

2 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

I agree with part of this.  However, with all of his faults, I don't think Reich is the one who put his staff together.  I think they were sort of forced on him from what I've read.  Regardless Reich wasn't the guy and it looks like Canales is bringing in his guys this year.  So hopefully that's a lesson learned....

The main folks who report all this type of stuff in here had articles that said the reason why Reich impressed was that he brought a lot with him and that he had vetted the folks he wanted to bring with him. That was supposedly something that Fitterer and Tepper liked, that he did homework on a coaching staff.

Just like everything in here, the narratives seem to change all the time depending on who you support. The people who adored Reich and the staff before the season brought up all the excuses after he was clearly on the hot seat.

9 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

.. because all of the top coaching staffs in the league would be 100% cool with the owner telling them the plays he likes and the ones he doesn’t.  

Well we didn’t have a top coaching staff, we’ve had the worst coaching in the league for the past 4 years.

• Pie 1
  • Flames 1

24 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

We haven’t had a coach whose playcalling didn’t deserve to be critiqued.

So true. I hate threads like this because most people in here don’t really read stuff. I was never mad when I heard Tepper started meeting with Reich because we sucked horribly and we weren’t supposed to suck. This article doesn’t say anything about Tepper calling plays or working on game plans before games. It basically says he was taking Reich to task because we were the worst offense in the league.

• Pie 3

7 minutes ago, WUnderhill said:

Well we didn’t have a top coaching staff, we’ve had the worst coaching in the league for the past 4 years.

Ehhhh.

Tepper was more than happy to bask in the fluff from Panthers media when he hired Rhule and there was weeks of talk about our "rockstar" staff last year. I don't recall anyone in the fanbase or the media thinking we had just hired the worst staff in the entire league.

Tepper remains the common thread however. All we can do is hope despite his constant ineptitude as an owner that maybe he's finally just backed into dumb luck with Morgan and Canales.

2 minutes ago, frankw said:

Ehhhh.

Tepper was more than happy to bask in the fluff from Panthers media when he hired Rhule and there was weeks of talk about our "rockstar" staff last year. I don't recall anyone in the fanbase or the media thinking we had just hired the worst staff in the entire league.

Tepper remains the common thread however. All we can do is hope despite his constant ineptitude as an owner that maybe he's finally just backed into dumb luck with Morgan and Canales.

I’m not sure how that’s relevant unless you are suggesting he was critiquing the play calling before they started calling plays. Obviously he liked the coaching staff before the season began or that wouldn’t have been the coaching staff. Everything went to poo pretty fast and deserved to be critiqued from game 1 on. Whether Tepper is competent as an owner is a completely separate matter. Has the playcalling been poo and deserving of being critiqued? 100% yes it has.

• Pie 2

26 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

The main folks who report all this type of stuff in here had articles that said the reason why Reich impressed was that he brought a lot with him and that he had vetted the folks he wanted to bring with him. That was supposedly something that Fitterer and Tepper liked, that he did homework on a coaching staff.

Just like everything in here, the narratives seem to change all the time depending on who you support. The people who adored Reich and the staff before the season brought up all the excuses after he was clearly on the hot seat.

"That’s what made Panthers owner David Tepper and GM Scott Fitterer’s directive this past winter to new head coach Frank Reich worth discussing. They told Reich not to hire people he knew. They wanted the best coaches, not coaches who Reich could personally vouch for. That’s a massive difference."

https://www.si.com/nfl/2023/03/22/panthers-coach-frank-reich-hiring-assistants-david-tepper

He was told not to hire people he was familiar with.  The same thing the Giants did with Dabboll and looked how it turned out...

Hire the right HC and let him decide who he wants on his staff.  Then it's easier to hold him accountable IMO.  We had a group of individuals with all different philosophies that went behind each others backs.  Like I said the good news is he let DC pick his guys this time. 

Edited by ForJimmy
  • Pie 2