• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: Dave Tepper would review play call data, review with Reich

3 minutes ago, strato said:

Okay don’t overlook that Capers is Evero’s mentor, more or less. So there is a connection there and Reich would trust Dom. And that is defense anyway, wasn’t a problem like what happened with the offense. 

I believe Brown was the problem offensively. Along with Young being far less ready and capable than advertised. 

You can say what you want about play calling, but it seems like it was Brown’s offense that he designed. And it seems like that was a real problem. 

The offense was Reich’s baby. @CRAwas right in our debate. Reich designed it and called the plays until he saw how bad it was. The plays were dull and boring with little PA, or pre snap motion and the OL was playing in a scheme that they weren’t suited to run. I’m not sure you can blame an OC that wasn’t calling plays at the beginning of the year on that.

Don’t get me wrong, Brown didn’t look any better calling plays, but I think that is because he never called them before and it was Reich’s offense. 

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

I also give him credit for cutting his losses on Rhule and Reich when it was clear they weren't the answer.  That was millions of his dollars he was throwing away for a chance to get better.  

I think this is lost on most people. I like the Tepper is trying to make this thing work. I like that he takes big swings. I also like that money is not a reason to keep a bad coach. 

• Pie 2

I seriously can’t believe there are people who are actually defending Tepper in here 

good lord 

This wasn’t much of a secret about the play calling. Some of you can spin it anyway you want but as long as he owns this team we are f*cked.

And while we’re at it, Tepper was the one that didn’t let Scott trade Burns to the Rams for two 1st rounders 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I seriously can’t believe there are people who are actually defending Tepper in here 

good lord 

This wasn’t much of a secret about the play calling. Some of you can spin it anyway you want but as long as he owns this team we are f*cked.

And while we’re at it, Tepper was the one that didn’t let Scott trade Burns to the Rams for two 1st rounders 

Dude, this isn't an all or nothing conversation. Tepper can make good decisions AND bad ones. Both can be true, but I forgot this is the internet. My bad. 

• Pie 4

29 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

The offense was Reich’s baby. @CRAwas right in our debate. Reich designed it and called the plays until he saw how bad it was. The plays were dull and boring with little PA, or pre snap motion and the OL was playing in a scheme that they weren’t suited to run. I’m not sure you can blame an OC that wasn’t calling plays at the beginning of the year on that.

Don’t get me wrong, Brown didn’t look any better calling plays, but I think that is because he never called them before and it was Reich’s offense. 

and I still think Tepper forced Reich to let Brown try playcalling when it occurred. In one of their meetings.    Then Reich took it back to go down with the ship.

I don't think Frank is a bad guy.  But Frank always seemed like a dude who knew at the start of the season.....that was all a bad forced marriage.  He looked defeated really before the defeats really piled up.  Nothing fit.  Everything forced together. 

and I don't really think Tepper would be in the wrong outside I think the weekly meetings probably started too early though.   But I think that was the design from the jump.   Take these random parts and manage it all.   But Frank was going to need to be called out on stuff given what it was.  I mean, the entire league and everyone that watched was doing it.   Frank was running a bad show. 

• Pie 2

38 minutes ago, CanadianCat said:

I think this is lost on most people. I like the Tepper is trying to make this thing work. I like that he takes big swings. I also like that money is not a reason to keep a bad coach. 

His money has brought nothing positive to the team in 5 years. If anything maybe if he didn't have so much money to throw around he would have spent a little more time conducting proper coaching searches rather than impulsively throwing money at whoever tells him what he wants to hear

• Beer 1

54 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I ain’t going after receipts on this but I am pretty darned sure we read that Brown designed the offense. I don’t think it makes sense, but this is the Panthers we are talking about.  

Edited by strato

10 minutes ago, strato said:

I ain’t going after receipts on this but I am pretty darned sure we read that Brown designed the offense. I don’t think it makes sense, but this is the Panthers we are talking about.  

my argument then and now would be the same.  Some of that was just PR to benefit Thomas Brown.  The OC who wasn't really the OC thanks to Frank.  So you spin things in his favor a little to make him not look like a nothing coach to start off the year.  He designed the O by taking Frank's playbook and and then adding his own pages in addition to it.   Which probably happens to everyone's offense.   Other coaches are probably always adding to them. 

Frank wouldn't of called a true Thomas Brown creation out of the gate.  He didn't know the guy, he was never an OC, and wouldn't know the O.  Especially as a HC playcaller where his time in thin.  That never would have made sense even for Tepper.  He was going to calling the O out of the gate....but the core of what he would be going to was what he already knew and believed in. 

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, strato said:

We read that it was built by Reich and Brown as was something like a 60/40 split.  @CRA called bullshit on it and it sparked the whole debate.  The more that comes out the more it looks like he was right.  It was Reich's offense and he wanted to call the plays and do it his way.  There is nothing wrong with that, but Brown was just there to appease Fitt or Caldwell or whoever it was that wanted Reich not to hire his guys...  It would have been much better to have an OC from Reich's tree that he wanted that was on the same page as him from day 1 and relayed the same info to our rookie QB as the HC was.  

6 hours ago, CanadianCat said:

OP's title is not accurate to the report. 

SIFTS through data is verry different than CALLING plays.. SMH

And he is using the data to critique play calling. 

Are we still defending Tepper. You know damn well he meddles. Good lord.

6 hours ago, FatChad said:

I think as an owner he is allowed to critique and get explanations for play calling post-game.  If anything, I'm glad he is interested in learning more about the game.  I'm sure most if not all owners do this.  

Thats not how people like Tepper operate. Hopefully that is obvious to you seeing the past 5 years. He’s the type to learn a little or some, but not a lifetime worth and then thinks he knows more than the lifetime guy and starts ‘critiquing’. The only thing he should be doing is focused on results but then he’d have to consider firing himself so…but I would NOT want him thinking he has clue clue and instead surround himself with people who do.

see - 49ers franchise history

• Beer 2

37 minutes ago, onmyown said:

And he is using the data to critique play calling. 

Are we still defending Tepper. You know damn well he meddles. Good lord.

Thats not how people like Tepper operate. Hopefully that is obvious to you seeing the past 5 years. He’s the type to learn a little or some, but not a lifetime worth and then thinks he knows more than the lifetime guy and starts ‘critiquing’. The only thing he should be doing is focused on results but then he’d have to consider firing himself so…but I would NOT want him thinking he has clue clue and instead surround himself with people who do.

see - 49ers franchise history

Did we not critique the play calling in here? It was awful. This was the worst offense we’ve ever had. Everyone was criticizing our shitty offense. I’m glad he at least acted quickly. We needed a new coach and GM. I’m still not happy with the GM choice as there’s been nothing good in house from 2018 to 2023.

• Pie 4