• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT thread

MHS831

Just now, ForJimmy said:

Yeah he was last at FSU. The transfer portal helps widen that net now. You will have players from several different schools. 

Yeah, but a 2 year starter is a legit player at a school.  Gamecock fans saw more of Robinson on the field than some that played all 4 years there.  He is a Gamecock.   Of course, FSU can claim him too. 

I’m not making a grand point. It’s just really quirky how the Tepper era has that consistent school popping up every year. 

17 minutes ago, CRA said:

Tepper era 

2024 - Gamecock in draft 

2023 - Gamecock in draft, Gamecock in FA 

2022 - Gamecock in FA 

2021 - 2 Gamecocks in draft 

2020 - 2 Gamecocks in FA

2019 - Gamecock in draft 

that’s a quirky trend that’s not any other school.  Not claiming that means anything outside if I had to make a silly guess on something….I guess Gamecock

The real reason most Clemson people can stand the Panthers.  That and we don't draft Tigers...well, ones From Clemson anyhow.  Auburn, yes, but Clemson has some weird complex about them too stemming from their shared football origins.

10 minutes ago, 45catfan said:

The real reason most Clemson people can stand the Panthers.  That and we don't draft Tigers...well, ones From Clemson anyhow.  Auburn, yes, but Clemson has some weird complex about them too stemming from their shared football origins.

I always get amused by this Clemson fan narrative.  Most Gamecock fans don’t like the Panthers either.  

expansion team mixed with southern college football fans…it’s going to take decades.  40 year old + crowd still grew up not having a NFL team or pulling for the Skins/Falcons 

Just now, CRA said:

I always get amused by this Clemson fan narrative.  Most Gamecock fans don’t like the Panthers either.  

I live in the upstate (actually not far from Clemson) and I run into more people that are Gamecock fans that follow the Panthers than Clemson.  Right now, neither fan base of those schools openly support the Panthers, but historically speaking, that's been my experience.  It's crazy since we played our first season in Clemson.  Granted that's been over 25 years ago.  When I asked why over the years, the #1 reason is that we don't draft players from Clemson. Clemson folks follow Clemson players in the League way more so than being loyal to any one NFL team.  Bore out by the outdated Texans' Watson jersey's and Jacksonville Lawrence jersey's I see around from time to time. 

18 minutes ago, CRA said:

expansion team mixed with southern college football fans…it’s going to take decades.  40 year old + crowd still grew up not having a NFL team or pulling for the Skins/Falcons 

Literally almost no one from SC has ever cared about the Panthers. I have lived/ worked/traveled all over that state over the years. It is much more common to find people rooting against the Panthers than for them. I remember being in a Rock Hill bar for the first game of the 2016 season and everyone cheering against the Panthers. 

SC literally has next to no ties to the Panthers.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

11 hours ago, Shocker said:

Coker

I don't know why but I'm more excited about Coker than I am about most of our draft class. I just think he can step in and be successful on our team right away.

Smitty was talking in his video about him being successful if he goes to a team with the right scheme. Then talked about how with his shuttle drill speed he can step into the slot and win on timing and technique. And I was just flashing back to every JT O'Sullivan video where he was ragging on Thielen being so slow on his routes. And it occurred to me, Coker is younger, faster, twitchier Adam Thielen. 

So Coker is stepping onto a team that schemed around the WR1 having exactly his skill set. And arguably Coker can do it better at this point in Thielen's career. 

I really think he will be rostered, will suit up on game day and will contribute this year. 

Edited by Captroop
  • Pie 1

30 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Literally almost no one from SC has ever cared about the Panthers. I have lived/ worked/traveled all over that state over the years. It is much more common to find people rooting against the Panthers than for them. I remember being in a Rock Hill bar for the first game of the 2016 season and everyone cheering against the Panthers. 

SC literally has next to no ties to the Panthers.

Lots of Gamecock fans from that era hated the Panthers because of Cam. The one year they made the SEC championship in most of their fans lifetime, Auburn put up 56 points on them in a laugher and their coping mechanism was labeling Cam as a cheater because of the pay for play allegations (which of course wouldn’t matter in this day and age). Then having to see him play locally and succeed just rubbed salt in the wound.

34 minutes ago, Captroop said:

I don't know why but I'm more excited about Coker than I am about most of our draft class. I just think he can step in and be successful on our team right away.

Smitty was talking in his video about him being successful if he goes to a team with the right scheme. Then talked about how with his shuttle drill speed he can step into the slot and win on timing and technique. And I was just flashing back to every JT O'Sullivan video where he was ragging on Thielen being so slow on his routes. And it occurred to me, Coker is younger, faster, twitchier Adam Thielen. 

So Coker is stepping onto a team that schemed around the WR1 having exactly his skill set. And arguably Coker can do it better at this point in Thielen's career. 

I really think he will be rostered, will suit up on game day and will contribute this year. 

I like Coker but don't listen to anything that QB school dude has to say lol. Cherry picks everything in his videos, stopped watching a year ago one I caught on to his bs

12 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

Apparently Brady Christensen is the next guy up at C. I’m just getting off work so that’s probably old news by now

I found that to be very interesting.  I know that Mays has some degree of experience/practice there--if BC can play every position on the OL, which he obviously can, he could save us a roster spot as a reserve.  I think it would be great to carry 9 and keep one or two on the PS.

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

I found that to be very interesting.  I know that Mays has some degree of experience/practice there--if BC can play every position on the OL, which he obviously can, he could save us a roster spot as a reserve.  I think it would be great to carry 9 and keep one or two on the PS.

I'd rather have a solid guy with actual NFL game reps at the position with Bryce still shaky and a new HC/OC and new guards, TE etc. But not my job

• Pie 2