• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Down in Atlanta....

9 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Penix will not see the field unless Cousins gets injured. If something as unfortunate as that were to happen I would think they would be praying he balled out. If he doesn't then things will get interesting in Atlanta. 

Penix is going to see the field first and work with the first team probably up until preseason due to Cousins rehab.

Thats what’s even more awkward is their 1-8 investment is going to get all of this chemistry and trust gained this offseason and just handoff to a vet right before the season starts.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

15 minutes ago, Bear Hands said:

Penix is going to see the field first and work with the first team probably up until preseason due to Cousins rehab.

Thats what’s even more awkward is their 1-8 investment is going to get all of this chemistry and trust gained this offseason and just handoff to a vet right before the season starts.

I doubt he gets all the reps and snaps in preseason. But yeah, the kid better ball or things will get ugly quickly.

13 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

Meh, many Packer fans felt the same way about Jordan Love, but I think they are ok with him now.  

It's the top ten part that is so incredibly confusing. So, you are gonna have a guy on top ten money, a 24 year old guy, mind you...possibly sitting for 4 years? Well.....why?

The thing is, maybe that front office loves him. Maybe the coaching staff does. But those guys legitimately don't have great odds of being around to see him play(barring an injury to Cousins).

It just doesn't make sense to shell out a massive FA contract and then also use a top ten pick on a QB.

• Pie 1

13 hours ago, Basbear said:

Arod wasn't new to the team, nor did he sign 180milion deal with 100 million guarantees. Plus love was a 26th pick, not 8th overall. BTW cousins has a no-trade clause as well....

I think it made arod win the MVP too....which in itself worth the pick...

The main point of drafting a rookie is for them to play on that cheap contract. At min penix will play two years from now, thus washing out the good part of his contract. Only way this works if cousins gets re-injured or busts. He will be 26-27 and need another contract by then. 

No matter what the saints do, Each cap dollars do matter. It's an awful awful deal no matter the out come. Glad panthers will benefit!!

Imagine if the Packers someone who could help them win, with Aaron, instead of after. They were always drafting with the idea of life after Aaron. His individual talent showed through in MVP seasons but the Packers lack of foresight in how to win now kept them from going to Super Bowls. 

they fuged Aaron several times rather than helped him. 

11 hours ago, Davidson Deac II said:

I just meant the circumstances were similar, but certainly not identical.  In the end, the only thing that matters is how well Pennix plays one of these days.  

Yeah, I had the same thought when it happened.  I guess you were bringing light from their perspective and there is some rationale for doing what they did--

This does strongly suggest to me that they are viewing Cousins as a 2-year QB unless he balls out. $50m per season for 2 years is not totally out of alignment with the rest of the league.

• Beer 1

One of the experts on NFL network made the point that NOT taking an Edge (they were predicted to take one--Dallas Turner was the popular pick)--they are preventing themselves from getting an edge on a rookie deal for 5 years.  That (in a roundabout way) increases the cost of having Penix on the Bench.  Not only do you have about $60m (the rookie contract is about $9m per) invested in QB, you have to pay a veteran or count on rookie third rounder Bralen Trice to do the job Dallas Turner could do--and I really like that pick----Essentially, at least in the short term, you hurt the team by picking a reserve QB for at least 2 seasons.

By signing Cousins, the Falcons announced they are in "Win Now" mode.  His window is closing.  SO why use a first rounder on a pick that will not help you until 2026 at the earliest?  I just watched a video on the Falcons--they have their area scouts and coaches selling the pick to the fans--that gives the appearance that the was consensus--I think they are all pissed.

Edited by MHS831

15 hours ago, Waldo said:

At the end of it all they have a playable QB and took a swing on their next up...even if it was a dumb as hell swing.

Given the Panther's situation, that team could still take 2 wins vs the Panthers this year so some of y'all might be laughing a little too soon...

In Green Bay, it all looked stupid until Aaron Rodgers had pooped in too many people's seats and was sent of to his reward with the Jets. That whole Jordan Love thing looked stupid at the time. Then by about October we were all like, "Well, would you look at that!"

Cousins is on the later years of his career, is just coming back from a major injury. He's also an excellent QB to have a guy sit behind and study for a couple of years. If Cousins starts to slide or decides to retire or doesn't fully recover from last season's injury, they've got their next guy, studying and easing into the league without being thrown to the wolves (you know, like Bryce).

And what if Kirk Cousins has the fountain of youth, even expands his game and just cements his spot as QB1? Well, there were quite a few guys trained behind Tom Brady that got traded for draft picks along the way.

If it can keep from destroying Cousins' confidence, then this wasn't a really stupid move. As much as we'd like for it to be.

7 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

If it can keep from destroying Cousins' confidence, then this wasn't a really stupid move. As much as we'd like for it to be.

I hope it's Derrick Brown that destroys his "confidence".

• Pie 3

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

While I'm down with misery in Atlanta, who should they have drafted?

It seems everyone thought they may get Cousins some help on offense. I don't think qb was what they were expecting. I honestly no nothing about the Falcons and what they need. I had even forgotten they signed Cousins. Shows you how much I pay attention to what is going on.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, Chaos said:

While I'm down with misery in Atlanta, who should they have drafted?

Rome Odunze was sitting right there on the board.

They also probably should've gone DE and been the first team to pick defense.

Edited by travisura
  • Pie 2

To do this with an older rookie is really weird. Love needed to sit for a year or two as he was inexperienced and young. Penix is probably the most ready to start rookie in this class. To stash and sit an older top 10 pick for +2 years… when you are in a win now mode? It also eliminates some of the major benefits you get from a rookie QB, a cheap QB room. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2