• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Do You Agree With The Neglect of the Offensive Line from This Draft???

4 minutes ago, grimesgoat said:

Corbett is an above average lineman and apparently really smart.  He has the second highest cap hit on the team and cutting him would be even more expensive.  I'd rather the guy play center than sit on his ass on the bench while we trot out some 5th rounder.

We have a lot to fix and it wasn't going to happen in one season.  I believe we are markedly better than last year but very thin/raw.  If everyone stays healthy, this could be an interesting year - maybe 5-6 wins and some close competitive losses.

I'm not factoring cap hit.  or probably the very good relationship with our front office given his role here off the field. 

Ignore the team.  Ignore the players.  If a team had horrific OL play up the middle last year and the proposed solution is to insert someone at C who has never played it a snap in a NFL or college game.  I just think that's a bad sounding plan. 

I'm not expecting them to solve every problem.  I'm just asking they add an actual NFL C to the roster for if their plan doesn't work.  Just an average guy.  And not do it in season after the plan doesn't work.    

• Beer 2

I can't believe there wasn't a serious conversation between Morgan, Canales and Corbett, Christensen and Mays.  IMO, Corbett convinced them he can play the position as well as Christensen and Mays. We have OTAs and mini-camps to evaluate and address the position if they aren't doing well.

I was hoping for a C too in the draft, but am completely satisfied with the draft. Rounds 1-4 filled many needs. You can be upset that we didn't address the center position but you gotta love we got offensive talent for BY. 

Raym seems to fit the attitude Morgan is looking for. Has some issues and will probably make the PS. His deficencies are coachable. Who knows maybe he becomes Norwell 2.0.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, SetfreexX said:

Go watch the Corbett interview from voluntary OTAs.

He was the starter for LAR at Center until an injury the SB year. 

We are fine at starting center atm, and we have two guys that were starters as a Tackle, and interior depth (Yosh, and BC), Zavala in year 2 stands to improve, Cade Mays in year 3 as well, but they're both suites as depth pieces currently.

They also signing two of the better guards in the NFL (Hunt) / free agency (Lewis). 

The OL received a lot of attention, and with an offensive shift to what suits them as a run first unit, we HAD to upgrade the weapons to keep defenses honest vs the pass. 

And for those that like to root for UDFAs,we brought in Raym from Oklahoma who is a Center.

Crazy the rest of y’all can’t see this. Well said. 

• Pie 2

College coaches told him he would be a Center, our staff is confident in him being a Center, he sounds confident in it, he has been a starter at Guard for multiple years on a SB caliber team, the highest paid centers in the league average being drafted in round 4-5 so they aren't tough to grab later.  No reason for me to think I know better than all those experts and the guy doing the job.  

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

17 hours ago, falconlynx said:

Looks like we should have made you the GM. You obviously know more than Dan Morgan and everyone who observes practice and talks to the players daily. 

Not going to lie but some of the huddle here just look like genius and capable enough for the FO jobs if compare to our previous regimes............... 

• Beer 1

8 minutes ago, WestPanthers said:

Not going to lie but some of the huddle here just look like genius and capable enough for the FO jobs if compare to our previous regimes............... 

That’s fair, especially when talking about Rhule and Tepper. 

I feel we’re finally in capable hands now, especially with Morgan in charge. 

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, CRA said:

I'm not factoring cap hit.  or probably the very good relationship with our front office given his role here off the field. 

Ignore the team.  Ignore the players.  If a team had horrific OL play up the middle last year and the proposed solution is to insert someone at C who has never played it a snap in a NFL or college game.  I just think that's a bad sounding plan. 

I'm not expecting them to solve every problem.  I'm just asking they add an actual NFL C to the roster for if their plan doesn't work.  Just an average guy.  And not do it in season after the plan doesn't work.    

I hear you.  But the plan was more than insert a C that has never played in the NFL.  Their plan was to jettison the guy that was lousy (Bozeman), sign a couple of studs at guard, and slide Corbett over.  You can't look at C in a vacuum.  Look at the big picture.  The line is vastly improved and will hopefully mesh.

Corbett will get plenty of opportunities to practice his snapping skills during the offseason, training camp, and preseason.  I fully expect a couple of bad snaps at some point during the year and the Huddle experts will scream "see, i told you so!"  But we're not winning a super bowl this year.  We'll be lucky to win 6 games.  We just need to see if Bryce can play with a decent line.  We should be able to do that with Corbett at C.

• Pie 1

All this talk about Centers misses the point IMHO.  We have massively upgraded the overall quality of this unit.  That is the most important thing.

Other than Icky (who certainly has the potential), every other lineman is a proven starter in this league.

So while I understand the question about Center somewhat, to me it's a bigger deal that we are actually putting guys who have proven they can start out there over a wing-and-a-prayer type players like we've seem to have done for many years now.

I think the overall quality and depth is much better.  They still need to prove it on the field, but I'm not that concerned about moving Corbett to Center.

As we gave out over $100M guaranteed to linemen this offseason... that's not neglect.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, MHS831 said:

We have a former starter now serving as a backup for the middle three positions, and probably the third string T on both sides (BC).  We are still developing Zavala and I hope Mays shows some growth.  Zavala started at times in 2023, as did Mays.  We added two guards that flipped us from abysmal to elite at G.  We added a swing T that could start on many teams.  The idea is to work Ekwonu hard on his mechanics.  

With the two stud guards beside him, Corbett can call blocking schemes (he is smart, working beside the C for some time) to offset stunts and blitzes he sees presnap.  Your point?  Based on what we know, it makes no sense--based on what they know, it seems to make perfect sense.  I mean, you have 2 guards that started in the NFL for extended periods transitioning to center.  It is not like you are moving a rookie G to center--and the TB Bucs will do that with Barton, the T they drafted from Duke.

Maybe this is NOT the ideal situation, but they feel good enough about it not to address it in the draft.  Since OL was a priority, it makes no sense to draft a RB when you don't have a center.  It means to me that RB was a bigger need than C--because Frazier was on the board at 46 (He was picked by the Steelers at 51). 

So back to the OL--Ekwonu will improve under the new coaching--Campen sucked footballs (literally--he really kissed footballs), the guards went from terrible to elite, the C is manned by 2 former starters, and Moton anchors the right side.  Depth?  BC can play any position, but probably will be left to backup G and C.  Nijman is an average OT by NFL standards (61 PFF) and he is a swing T.  Behind them, Mays and Zavala are young and could use some development--I see why they are not adding a player, but the C they picked up in UDFA is likely to be signed to the PS and he could compete when ready.

Excellent post. Before yesterday I hadn't posted in about 2 years. I just popped in every once in a while to get updates. A couple of guys around here are excellent at that and one is funny as heck. Then there's MHS831, when I do pop in I always check out your threads. I really appreciate your takes and how you explain them and also the effort you put into it. Plus, your a class act. Grade: A

I also came here to mention the UDFA C I understand we signed. I've read that he was ranked in the 6th round for what that's worth. He had a solid career and has traits that are special. He needs to be developed but he has potential and his strength is run blocking and his athleticism fits what we want to do offensively I think.  I think he was a late draft target that they believed was safe so they drafted other players and picked him up after the draft instead. If so, that's smart and very disciplined.   

Here's a report on his strengths:

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • Raym is a work in progress with high-end physical traits. He’s extremely light on his feet for a 300-pounder, a natural knee bender who plays with balance and leverage.
  • Solid positional run blocker who flashes the nasty demeanor and killer instinct scouts covet.
  • Shows a good feel for combo blocks, and Raym displays good quickness and flexibility when moving to the second level, capable of sealing the back side on reach blocks
  • He’s a coordinated athlete who can win at the point of attack in the run game, and he can also move to consistently land blocks at the second level.
  • Has the strong leg drive to create movement at the line of scrimmage, consistently putting defenders on the ground.
  • Finishes and doesn't quit; competitor with a positive attitude and leadership traits that coaches admire.

He's a dawg. Badass. I think his skills fit what we want to do too. This kid has the potential to be a stud for us. It's true we didn't draft him but we still got him. So, if it's really a big deal, just imagine that we had an extra 6th and drafted this guy there. He was valued there so it's a good pick. In my mind, we got a good center this draft, even if we didn't draft him. We signed him just the same. 

Edited by Panthers Rhule
  • Pie 3

7 minutes ago, Panthers Rhule said:

Excellent post. Before yesterday I hadn't posted in about 2 years. I just popped in every once in a while to get updates. A couple of guys around here are excellent at that and one is funny as heck. Then there's MHS831, when I do pop in I always check out your threads. I really appreciate your takes and how you explain them and also the effort you put into it. Plus, your a class act. 

I also came here to mention the UDFA C I understand we signed. I've read that he was ranked in the 6th round for what that's worth. He had a solid career and has traits that are special. He needs to be developed but he has potential and his strength is run blocking and his athleticism fits what we want to do offensively I think.  I think he was a late draft target that they believed was safe so they drafted other players and picked him up after the draft instead. If so, that's smart and very disciplined.   

Here's a report on his strengths:

SCOUTING REPORT: STRENGTHS
  • Raym is a work in progress with high-end physical traits. He’s extremely light on his feet for a 300-pounder, a natural knee bender who plays with balance and leverage.
  • Solid positional run blocker who flashes the nasty demeanor and killer instinct scouts covet.
  • Shows a good feel for combo blocks, and Raym displays good quickness and flexibility when moving to the second level, capable of sealing the back side on reach blocks
  • He’s a coordinated athlete who can win at the point of attack in the run game, and he can also move to consistently land blocks at the second level.
  • Has the strong leg drive to create movement at the line of scrimmage, consistently putting defenders on the ground.
  • Finishes and doesn't quit; competitor with a positive attitude and leadership traits that coaches admire.

He's a dawg. Badass. I think his skills fit what we want to do too. This kid has the potential to be a stud for us. It's true we didn't draft him but we still got him. So, if it's really a big deal, just imagine that we had an extra 6th and drafted this guy there. He was valued there so it's a good pick. In my mind, we got a good center this draft, even if we didn't draft him. We signed him just the same. 

First, thanks for the kind words.  There are a lot of knowledgeable people here and the problem is when we get emotional we tend to go overboard--that is passion for the team.  However, when we take our meds and post within 48 hours of our sessions with counselors, we tend to make sense.  This center will make the PS--without a doubt, where he could push for the backup role eventually. 

I try to keep it between the ditches, but most people here respect each others' differences of opinions.  It is interesting to me to hear others' opinions because they pull me back to reality at times. 

This center was a good pick.  It will be interesting to see how Corbett does after this season and if they extend him (He is only 28, I think).  

• Pie 1