• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers ranked as NFL's 2nd-worst roster

Bleacher Report’s Gary Davenport

Carolina is better at the skill positions this season. But despite giving guards Damien Lewis and Robert Hunt big contracts, the offensive line still ranks in the bottom 10.

And the problems get that much bigger on defense after Carolina lost multiple key players from last year’s fourth-ranked defense in terms of yards allowed.

Edge-rusher Brian Burns, who led the team in sacks last year, was traded to New York. Linebacker Frankie Luvu, who led the team in tackles, left in free agency.

Replacements were procured in DJ Wonnum and Josey Jewell, but both are downgrades. A defense that was somehow top-five in yards allowed and bottom-five in points allowed didn’t improve.

Neither did the team as a whole, at least not demonstrably.

• The D 1

44 minutes ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Bleacher Report’s Gary Davenport

Carolina is better at the skill positions this season. But despite giving guards Damien Lewis and Robert Hunt big contracts, the offensive line still ranks in the bottom 10.

And the problems get that much bigger on defense after Carolina lost multiple key players from last year’s fourth-ranked defense in terms of yards allowed.

Edge-rusher Brian Burns, who led the team in sacks last year, was traded to New York. Linebacker Frankie Luvu, who led the team in tackles, left in free agency.

Replacements were procured in DJ Wonnum and Josey Jewell, but both are downgrades. A defense that was somehow top-five in yards allowed and bottom-five in points allowed didn’t improve.

Neither did the team as a whole, at least not demonstrably.

A) it’s bleacherreport 

B) jewell and wonnum are burns and luvus replacements? Not clowney and jewell or whoever? This guy doesn’t seem to have all the information

C) OL rankings? Gtfo, can’t rank something like that before the season even starts. OL is tough enough to judge after the fact, much less before. 

• Pie 2

26 minutes ago, Mage said:

I'm biased obviously but I think I would take our roster over the Commanders and Giants.

We still suck though.

I disagree with that.

I can only think of one team Id take over the Panthers; patriots 

At least on commanders, giants, and even the Panthers you can name a couple stars. 

Name one patriot star or building block without gogglefuing, just not one.

Posted (edited)

I get a lot of that but there is work that can be done and then judge it. Where did people rate it last year? Just sayin’, most did not say 2-15.

I was worried about a couple of areas on the defense last year and then they got killed with injuries. I expected a lot worse. Which gives me some confidence in Evero (and Dom) being able to keep them together.

edit: I mean keeping the performance floor up as a group, despite handicaps in whatever position groups. 

Edited by strato

OF course we are going to be ranked low AF on any of these kind of lists. Returning the worst starting QB in the league will do that to you. 

Until proven otherwise BY is still that guy that stunk up the place last season. 

• Pie 2

19 minutes ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

We're not even rebuilding , just existing at rock bottom 

The only way it could be worse if we went 0-17 without scoring a single point all season 

They were 2 last second FGs and a couple 4th down conversions away from being 0-17.

In other words they should have been 0-17 and those last two games they didn't score.....

This team is BAD, need more than one miracle to fix.