• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers ranked as NFL's 2nd-worst roster

11 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Hard to say for certain whether or not our roster is improved, but i can say for certain, our coaching staff couldn't be much worse than Rhule and Reich. 2 wins isn't a very high bar. 

For me to judge I look at it by group:

QB - Improved most likely

RB - Improved most likely (rookie upside)

WR - Greatly improved (rookie upside)

TE - Improved most likely (rookie upside)

OL - Greatly improved

DL - Slight downgrade (maybe?  Robinson + Wonnum + Clowney < Burns???  Could be equal or better)

LB - Slight downgrade (different players - rookie upside)

CB - Slight downgrade (rookie upside)

S - Push

Coaching - Greatly improved

To me I expect us to be significantly better overall - but significant over last year means 5-6 wins.  

• Pie 1

12 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Hard to say for certain whether or not our roster is improved, but i can say for certain, our coaching staff couldn't be much worse than Rhule and Reich. 2 wins isn't a very high bar. 

Maybe we can’t get worse but I don’t see a staff that is dramatically improved.

I hope it is, but it looks like a lot of inexperience.

• Beer 4

16 hours ago, Basbear said:

I disagree with that.

I can only think of one team Id take over the Panthers; patriots 

At least on commanders, giants, and even the Panthers you can name a couple stars. 

Name one patriot star or building block without gogglefuing, just not one.

Yeah, I'm really bummed about Maye going to NE. It was definitely the worst of the likely potential destinations for him. I was hoping the Vikings would pull the trigger on a leap up to #3.

I can't blame anyone in sports media for not believing we've made a big enough jump talent wise to compete. I mean let's be realistic. In the eyes of many of us here we were improved on paper under Scott Fitterer each offseason the last few years. Just because we're once again buying in doesn't mean the rest of the sports world will also.

Then you go back to preseason last year and the downplaying of how horrific we looked not just offensively but as a whole.

If we look competent in preseason  I will begin to feel some level of confidence about the direction of the team and so will those in the sports world. Until then nothing we've done matters.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

18 hours ago, TheSpecialJuan said:

Bleacher Report’s Gary Davenport

Carolina is better at the skill positions this season. But despite giving guards Damien Lewis and Robert Hunt big contracts, the offensive line still ranks in the bottom 10.

And the problems get that much bigger on defense after Carolina lost multiple key players from last year’s fourth-ranked defense in terms of yards allowed.

Edge-rusher Brian Burns, who led the team in sacks last year, was traded to New York. Linebacker Frankie Luvu, who led the team in tackles, left in free agency.

Replacements were procured in DJ Wonnum and Josey Jewell, but both are downgrades. A defense that was somehow top-five in yards allowed and bottom-five in points allowed didn’t improve.

Neither did the team as a whole, at least not demonstrably.

what you didn't mention did they get players that understood the 3-4 defense better than the players they lost. Since they were mostly 4-3 players. This we won't know until the season starts.

19 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

It's really difficult to look at our defensive line and see more than one difference maker. 

My main issue with the hunt deal was if he was truly that highly thought of, phins would have tagged him. Then traded him or ________ . I use to be super hardcore, still panther hardcore. But I never heard of this guy.

Icky could be that elite guy, but without campy giving him lots of help like his rookie year, he out right blew dog-water. People are focused on young having a bounce back year, but Ickey is right there next to him in needing that too. Lewis is or should be above average. Colbert is ????. Moton is older but rock solid average-above average in nearly all systems. SUcks Moton never wanted or have the skill to man the LT, that's my issue with him along with his insane salary made by former GMs. 

The key to this is HAROLD GOODWIN, he's got to be a wizard.