• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Seattle was a run heavy team

Posted (edited)

I mean Seattle had to, it was all they could do with Wilson.

Young doesn't have as good of a deep ball and has show more willingness to go over the middle of the field but you can probably draw a lot of parallels here.

Edited by Untouchable

Posted (edited)

Fox/Rivera/Wilks-ball yields you a .500 record. While an improvement over the current sh!tshow, I wish we would strive for better. The only time Foxball gets you to the playoffs is if your division sucks or you happen upon a worldbeater like Cam. We don't have that.

Edited by Khaki Lackey
  • Pie 1

49 minutes ago, rayzor said:

One of the things that we have heard is that Canales is going to be putting a heavy emphasis on the run and that has made more than a few frustrated because "it's a passing league" and "you don't draft a QB 1st overall to have a run heavy offense".

This isn't to argue either of those points, just pointing out something interesting i saw. I heard a comment yesterday someone made talking about how Canales' offense is going to look like what was seen in Seattle and what did Seattle do? Ran...a lot. This isn't something that i really noticed much at the time and, frankly, i'm kind of surprised by this. I mean they had Russ who was at the time a very good and very dangerous QB, and they still ran a lot (too much by Russ' opinion, which is why he wanted out). Yeah, Russ wasn't drafted first overall, or even in the first round. But looking at what he was able to do probably should have been.

I checked to see just how much they ran and, well...here it is. I looked at their rush vs pass attempts and where they were ranked within the league for each. 

image.png.7a37a0cfe18332541457f09500963ec9.png

For most of that time span i'd say they were pretty successful. after Russ got there they didn't have a losing season until 2021 and even then, that's been our ceiling for a while. During that whole time of their successes they were always in the bottom half in the league as far as passing attempts go. As a rushing team, i think their best seasons were when they were a rushing top heavy team. 

is this a strategy that most of us would choose? probably not, but it can work. it doesn't matter the reasoning for being rush heavy as long as they can make it work and i think with this OL and RB room i think we can. Will it be the most exciting style of play? i don't know. but if it can keep us in games and help us win, i'm all for it.

It’s going to be interesting to watch. It seems like with the Gs and RB in round 2 that we are focusing on the run more but we did go XL, DJohnson and Sanders as well. Canales was WR/QB coach at Seattle so he wasn’t really responsible for the running game but who knows.

In order for this to be successful, you need:

1) A top tier RB like Lynch (maybe we got one in Brooks?)

2) A franchise QB on a rookie contract (got the rookie contract part down)

3) A dominate/opportunistic defense (could have that as long as Evero is here)

4) A QB able to CONSISTENTLY hit the deep shots when they are there (hasn't been evident yet)

5) A QB who can scramble and make plays with his legs (saw a glimpse of that Bryce's rookie year)

It could work. It really all just comes down to if our #1 pick can make that jump.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Having Lynch as the foundation and then Russ on a rookie contract is what made them have a great run as a contender before anything else, even with that nasty D at it's height as the rules where changing. When they stopped leaning on Lynch they lost a SB. When they leaned on Russ and what came after Lynch is what made them playoff appearance team at their best. You need both to be SB contender, SF came close but proved they don't have a good enough at one of those in the SB.

Running is important, even if it's not working and still in this modern NFL even if a bit less then it used too. But you have to be able to throw it and that is where Carolina implodes. Trying to build like Seattle has been a failure in Carolina since they went and hired Fritters. It's so incredibly stupid that that is still what they are trying to do with all the options out there to choose from. I still have no faith this round of leadership will end much different than the last. 

• Pie 1

46 minutes ago, CRA said:

It's the Foxball mindset really.  Run the ball, take deep shots.  That's what Canales has always been around.  Problem remains, he doesn't have the gambling deep shot QB.  Which is key to every O he has been around.  Baker.  Took the deep shots.  Geno.  Took the deep shots.  Wilson.  Took the deep shots.   Without that element, those offenses don't work.   Chunk pass play offense the run sets up. 

deep ball or not, run game opens up passing game. works better with deep ball, but still can work.

• Beer 1

We really need a Marshawn Lynch caliber RB if we're going to try to do this. Hey maybe Brooks can be that guy, but I'm not expecting it. Dude carried their offense in all their successful years and they were never the same after he left/retired (although the D departures also had an impact of course). Not to mention Russ was a great runner in his prime. Bryce isn't really and won't ever be. Hopefully Canales is capable of adapting to the personnel he has rather than trying to force something that won't work with our roster.

19 minutes ago, Khaki Lackey said:

Fox/Rivera/Wilks-ball yields you a .500 record. While an improvement over the current sh!tshow, I wish we would strive for better. The only time Foxball gets you to the playoffs is if your division sucks or you happen upon a worldbeater like Cam. We don't have that.

would you call Carroll's run first strategy foxball? seems like they had a lot more consistent success with it. Considering that it was Carroll's offense and Canales is a Carroll pupil, wouldn't it be considered Carollball?

we aren't a team run by fox, rivera, or wilks. different coaches. different personnel.

• Pie 2

33 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

I mean Seattle had to, it was all they could do with Wilson.

Young doesn't have as good of a deep ball and has show more willingness to go over the middle of the field but you can probably draw a lot of parallels here.

most of us watching wilson hated playing against him. he was good, but a lot of what he did was luck. he'd get into trouble, scramble around, and then just toss the ball and hope that there was a guy there who could get to it and that happened a lot. i think there are parallels there for sure. bryce scrambles and will probably just end up tossing up the ball and hoping that someone will be there. i think XL can be one of those guys who make those adjustments to the ball the way Wilson's WRs did. 

• Pie 1

Another thought is maybe this is part 1 of many to develop this offense.  Get the run game going to open up the passing game and make life easier on our QB early on.  As he progresses (in theory) you can really open up the offense.  A physical running game can really inspire a team to play more physical on offense and defense which is what Dan Morgan wants.  Remember the Ravens, Niners, and Dolphins has top offenses and also top running games.  

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

most of us watching wilson hated playing against him. he was good, but a lot of what he did was luck. he'd get into trouble, scramble around, and then just toss the ball and hope that there was a guy there who could get to it and that happened a lot. i think there are parallels there for sure. bryce scrambles and will probably just end up tossing up the ball and hoping that someone will be there. i think XL can be one of those guys who make those adjustments to the ball the way Wilson's WRs did. 

his scrambling ability, especially early in his career, was legendary.  The way he could get himself out of trouble and still make a play was poetic.  I dont see bryce having anything close to that type of skill set.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

I think some of you are reading way too much into this emphasis on the run.

Running the ball is good. Running the ball is old school football. But it's a passing league. And the other layer to wanting to run the ball at all costs is your run game is only as good as your passing game. Just a heads up for folks. Defenses will be ready to stop our run game from the jump until Bryce Young proves he can open up the entire field with his arm.