• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

College Athletes can now be paid directly by schools to play

The athletes should be getting a percentage of the revenue they generate for the schools IMO. Always should have.

But this is going to gut college athletics as we knew them. There's probably gonna be low tier schools that just drop athletics altogether. A LOT of schools are probably gonna start purging their non-revenue sports. It's a business now and they're gonna have to run the athletics department as such.

• Pie 7

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The athletes should be getting a percentage of the revenue they generate for the schools IMO. Always should have.

But this is going to gut college athletics as we knew them. There's probably gonna be low tier schools that just drop athletics altogether. A LOT of schools are probably gonna start purging their non-revenue sports. It's a business now and they're gonna have to run the athletics department as such.

Now that we're paying athletes I think it's time to do away with the sham of student athlete for many. They're employees now. No need for minimum SAT scored or GPAs unless it's a legitimate scholarship. I think many are going to learn a very harsh lesson in the reality of business. 

• Pie 3

14 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Now that we're paying athletes I think it's time to do away with the sham of student athlete for many. They're employees now. No need for minimum SAT scored or GPAs unless it's a legitimate scholarship. I think many are going to learn a very harsh lesson in the reality of business. 

Was about to say the same. That will be the next shoe to drop.

Paid employees the same as university staff and faculty.

Just there to entertain the real students.

• Pie 1

27 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

Yeah, I mean the minimums were already BARE minimums.

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

A LOT of schools are probably gonna start purging their non-revenue sports.

This might be controversial but I hope they actually do start doing that. 

NIL deals will destroy all sports eventually.

There needs to me some serious legislation governing it before it becomes more of a problem than it already is.

I think we will see the day when NIL deals are started in high school if this keeps up.

59 minutes ago, CmC2k said:

This might be controversial but I hope they actually do start doing that. 

I mean, I hate it for the kids. That was one of the good things about college athletics. It nurtured a lot of Olympic sports, etc. by offering the carrot of a scholarship.

Honestly, they probably need to manage the non-revenue sports differently. Just leave them under the old system. The old system was designed when all college sports were non-revenue then football and men's basketball exploded. Basketball has tailed off but football has exploded even more.

1 hour ago, cardiackat88. said:

NIL deals will destroy all sports eventually.

There needs to me some serious legislation governing it before it becomes more of a problem than it already is.

I think we will see the day when NIL deals are started in high school if this keeps up.

This isn’t NIL. This is schools saying “you play QB? You get $xxxx”). Pure pay 4 play just like the NFL.

I'm torn. It was great for the kids that got the crumbs that fell through the cracks but I also hate the NCAA and how they have wielded their power for decades. 

Most of those schools' finances baffle me anyways. They just seem like they are poorly set up to do this across the board. The NIL angle looked like a clown show to me but I also don't tune into anything at that level until it's directly draft related.  

• Pie 1

The If they have to pay the guys that generate the revenue, how do they support the parasitic programs? 

You'd have to go purely by the numbers to keep the most self sufficient sports programs and as many of the lesser revenue producing programs as allowable. By the real numbers not some manufactured hierarchy. 

Guess who loses that one.

Will people allow them to lose? No there would be hell to pay. So here we go.