• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Yahoo!: Who's that guy? Youthful Panthers hard to predict

GRWatcher

At the risk of offending p55.

I think p55 has been talking his theory so long, that he believes it, heart and soul.

I don't think going young was anything but cutting weight, and moving forward with guys they believe in. Yes, they they are so clearing a lot of dead money. Enables them to have a very managable team salery when the new cba is done.

Jake...had to go.

Moose... love ya, but no longer a viable starter.

Hoover... love ya, but the writing had been on the wall for years.

Dline...honestly, has needed an overhaul for several seasons, and as you can see, its not the doom and gloom that many including p55 predicted.

Harris....give me a younger up and coming safety that can cover any day.

Once there is a new cba in place, I expect richardson to give hurney the green light on getting the core guys their extensions. Whether or not fox returns, doesn't really matter...this is foxs team as long as he wants it.

As far as free agents, there weren't any worth signing in my opinion. Not for the panthers.

Am sure I'll get abused for this post... so be it.

I think p55 has been talking his theory so long, that he believes it, heart and soul.

I don't think going young was anything but cutting weight, and moving forward with guys they believe in. Yes, they they are so clearing a lot of dead money. Enables them to have a very managable team salery when the new cba is done.

Jake...had to go.

Dline...honestly, has needed an overhaul for several seasons, and as you can see, its not the doom and gloom that many including p55 predicted.

Once there is a new cba in place, I expect richardson to give hurney the green light on getting the core guys their extensions. Whether or not fox returns, doesn't really matter...this is foxs team as long as he wants it.

As far as free agents, there weren't any worth signing in my opinion. Not for the panthers.

nah, I agree with you.. the only real weak spot that would help our new QB would be a solid #2.. and Marshall would have been a great pickup.. thats the only part I disagree with you on, being any FAs available...

Jake...had to go.

No offense taken. My posts in the offseason reflected my feeling then based on where we were and my bias toward keeping veterans over rookies and proven entities over possibilities. (Jake excluded)

Do I feel the same way now? For me the jury is still out. Some things like the D line has been surprisingly solid while the offense has been surprisingly bad so far.

Do I agree that there were no free agents available for us, absolutely not. But once we went on a cheap youth oriented movement, we weren't going to go in that direction. And that was the team philosophy.

How have things worked out at this point? The jury is still out. Do I wish that some of the veterans were here. Talk to me in a few months when we have a better feel with how things are going and we see the injury situation. Remember my bigggest concern wasn't even the guys we were replacing but all the backups we were replacing as well. Something like a total of 18 guys. Depth is still a big concern in my mind.

But this is all in good fun and everyone has a right to voice their opinions.

Y'all listen to P55. He predicted all offseason about how terrible our D Line would be without Kemo, Lewis and Pep.

well, the same reason we shouldn't get too down on the offense is why we shouldn't get too high on the DL. It is very early. They will definately get the chance to face a proven top ground game Saturday night.

I'm 43 and I love this youth movement. It was time to infuse this team with some youthful energy and to create more position competition. Plus, we have more overall team speed now, and that's always a good thing.

I have never thought of this as a rebuilding year either. We have Smitty, three veteran TE's, two veteran RB's and a very experienced O-line in place already, and Matt Moore is entering his 4th season as a pro. This team may be young on defense, but there won't be one single rookie starting on that side of the ball, unless Hardy turns out to be too good not to start. This is not a team starting from scratch, by any stretch.

I'm always going to support replacing mediocrity with an unproven talent. Sure, the older steady veteran may be a proven commodity, but a proven commodity of what, a league standard or overall depressing averageness. The same people who bitch about this teams commitment to being average are the same ones whining about us shedding some "average" weight. The one guy we shed who was above average did not want to be here so by his work ethic he had become average himself.

When you replace these players with young hungry rookies, its a crap shoot. Sure, they might suck, it's almost guaranteed that they will have some growing pains, but you might find a stud. By going young in so many places, the odds of finding some studs increases and with money to spend in the coming seasons by having shed mediocrity you can spend in FA to replace your duds who didn't become studs.

Its the same philosophy as people who don't trade in their car for a new one when they have the financial means to do so, sure your 92 Saturn still gets you from A to B but the radio only works when you make right hands turns and the back windows don't roll down anymore but I'll be damned, I'm going to drive it till it breaks.

Will be interesting to see how we hold up down the stretch this season. Theoretically, with all these fresh legs on the team, we should be moving up the later and more worn out the other veteran heavy teams get.

Will be interesting to see how we hold up down the stretch this season. Theoretically, with all these fresh legs on the team, we should be moving up the later and more worn out the other veteran heavy teams get.

Historically, John Fox's teams have been pretty good in December anyway, so I feel like they will finish strong. I just hope the offense and ST's can improve quickly enough for them to be playing for something by then.

Archived