• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Thank God Tavon never made it to pick 14

DaveThePanther2008

First, comparing Tavon to Joe Adams just shows you know nothing about Tavon and pretty much decided they were both small and returned kicks at one point in college, so they are obviously the same?   Tavon was a monster in college, not only returning, but even more so in receiving and even rushing.   He plays hard and goes for the extra yard.  He's also the quickest player that I and a lot of experts have seen on the field.  Many, many ankles were broken by him in college, and on a play by play basis.

He's a rookie and suffers from the team he's on.  I still think if he was here and we used him right he would be nasty for Cam, but I loved the Star pick and wouldn't trade it.

First, comparing Tavon to Joe Adams just shows you know nothing about Tavon and pretty much decided they were both small and returned kicks at one point in college, so they are obviously the same? Tavon was a monster in college, not only returning, but even more so in receiving and even rushing. He plays hard and goes for the extra yard. He's also the quickest player that I and a lot of experts have seen on the field. Many, many ankles were broken by him in college, and on a play by play basis.

He's a rookie and suffers from the team he's on. I still think if he was here and we used him right he would be nasty for Cam, but I loved the Star pick and wouldn't trade it.

I agree 100%

I don't think he will be a great reciever but calling a kid bad after less than 1/2 of his rookie year is just dumb.  The kid came from a spead offense and is trying to learn and NFL offense.  Its going to take some time.  And he came from WVU, my dog got a full ride  to WVU for academics.  I ask him how it was up there and he said ruff.

lol @ you comparing him to Joe Adams...

What a moron.

Austin has had only 41 targets with 24 catches.

He's second among rookies in receptions.

You're blaming him for poor coaching and coordination. Brilliant.

Do you even remember Steve Smith's rookie year? Because of inadequate coaching, he was relegated to a returner.

Okay, you don't have a high opinion of Austin. Just don't have hurt feelings when you find out your opinion is worthless.

Star

Eifert

Rhodes

I think those were our top three. I tend to believe Allen would've been our third pick (had we possessed a third rounder). We'll never truly know.

i think you're right about all that. 3rd round pick could have been a OL of some kind, but i don't know who they might have seen as being better for the team than allen would have been.

I think Tavon will catch on and can be decent but definitely not earth shattering.  I was called a fool and an idiot in the draft forum for saying that if we drafted him he would be at best the 3rd option on the team this year.  Not saying I am a draft guru or knowlegeable by any means but I am a skeptic when presented with too much hype.

That said, I dont think any of these first round receivers have had a great impact this year. 

It's simple, Tavon needs a talented coaching staff to use him correctly.  You can't draft him and not design plays for him or use his stengths and expect things to work.  I agree he's not the typical WR, but he has potential game-changing talent, like a Percy Harvin or maybe DeSean Jackson.  That is why he was high on the board especially after everyone seen what Harvin could do the year before, before he got hurt (was possibly MVP candidate at that point).

I'm not a fan of the pick, not because I don't like him as a player, just don't like the risk associated with drafting an undersized guy that high.

In the top half of the first round I prefer "prototype" like players.  After that I'm cool with taking chances.

And the only thing that you're basing this on is a hunch. It's certainly not his production---his ability to hang on to the ball (7 drops in 20 something attempts), and, more importantly, get open.  He has even disappointed in the return game (running backwards).

This is big big boy football. Austin was a novel idea, but he doesn't have that  ge ne sais quoi of a D-Jax who came firing out of the gate.   

Yeah, the football gods were smiling down upon us that night...

Let's be for real: G-man was never going to pick Austin. If we would have gone receiver, it would have been DeAndre Hopkins.

Archived