• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Head of Officiating Says Wallace Catch Not a Catch

csx

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/11/30/blandino-refs-need-to-be-more-consistent-on-catch-rulings/

I couldn't believe they didn't overturn that call. They define what catch is and isn't on a game by game basis it seems. If this has been posted please delete. I did not see it on the page or via search.

Between tgat call and the catch on the sideline that wasn't...we got hosed on both if our challenges

When it happened, I didn't think Wallce hadcomplete control and that it wasn't a catch. However,after watching the review I wasn't sure,so I figured it was one of those inconclusive situations. Guess not.

There was never a debate that the ball came out and he didn't maintain possession as he hit the ground.

It was like the refs forgot that was a rule. Bc they disregarded it on two challenges

As this happened, I was in disbelief that it was still a catch after the replay. I had second guessed everything I have learned from watching the NFL all these year and thought, perhaps it only needs to stay in the possession of the receiver all the way to the ground if the play is in the end zone.. However, that would be a stupid ruling that would need to be ratified in the offseason. A catch should be a catch no matter where it happens on the field, or vice versa.,. 

In order of from worst overall officiating in the three major sports to the best:

1. NBA

2. NFL

3. MLB

NBA at times is unwatchable because officiating is so inconsistent.

NFL I am increasingly convinced that officials don't even understand the rules and clearly most announcers don't

MLB is not perfect but get it right most of the time.

This is really true, especially the NBA.  I feel the NFL crews are often consistent in the way they call a game (as in they'll make the same mistake repeatedly) but in the NBA it's a shitshow, with plays going different ways depending on who is involved and when in the game it is and all manner of crazy poo beyond just "letting them play."

edit: actually, our game vs mia is a great example.

yeah it was the wrong call, but they made the wrong call consistently.  so, it's possible it coulda benefited us. it shows how the refs dont know the rules, but, at least there's consistent application of lack of knowing the rules, lol

If you can't get instant right, then it's pointless having it. I say get rid of it because ultimately the human element still seems to screw up these close calls anyways. Replay is pointless the way it is consistently failing.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

Yep...shouldn't have been a catch. 

Funny thing is, you had folks on here who were agreeing with the call made by the refs.  Should've been an easy call for the refs, but they missed it...even with the replay.  Oh well, we were still able to win the game.

Archived