• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers' Dave Gettleman has guts...

CanadianCat

I have yet to find a critic who can detail, in relation to the cap (dead money, stupid contracts) , the future of the franchise, etc. what Gettlemen should be doing in a logical, cost-effective manner. Cut Godfrey? Since he is a June 1 cut, I assume, that money will probably go to rookie contracts on June 2. Sign Hardy long term? I am not sure that he wants to do that while his stock is at its highest point. Rework CJ's deal? There is just not enough fat to trim. Hurney's contracts were stupidly constructed. We get no help if a player is cut and is picked up elsewhere. We even have to pay Gross guaranteed money for retiring. Admittedly, that was what Gettlemen had to do to get his contract down last year to a reasonable figure, but that is what Hurney did--put the front office in "no win" situations. If you spent 20 minutes looking at these deals and reading about them, you would know what the problem is--it ain't Gettlemen.

Gettlemen tagged Hardy to preserve the core. Now he has to find about 5 starters with $8 million in his wallet. Many of you are suggesting a spending spree to resolve that problem. ??? Get mad at Hurney for being an idiot. Get mad at Richardson for giving an idiot the company credit card. But it just shows a complete lack of awareness to blame Gettlemen.

Well he could have kept youknowwho instead of paying him to go away. I'm sure he had prior knowledge to the Cam surgery, so why let him go with nobody left to mentor the new wrs?

You all should have known this day was coming......he has to do this thing now for long term success. We are so twisted up with bad contracts and big contracts coming in the near future that he had to act..Putting it off will not solve this problem.Would you rather be worse next year or suck for the next ten. Just know that next season will be hard to stomach

...but it is for the best.Just get a hobby to carry you through until we are out the other side.

Well he could have kept youknowwho instead of paying him to go away. I'm sure he had prior knowledge to the Cam surgery, so why let him go with nobody left to mentor the new wrs?

Maybe that is what they didn't want (you know who mentoring WRs)  He has had about 15 rookies to mentor since 2002 and they haven't fared too well.

I agree that it sure looks dark now.  4 months?  That is July before he gets back.

Great article and i agree with it. He is not here to win a popularity contest, he's here to makes the Panthers relevant in a way that would mirror the Pats. We all complained while the team was being run by the Hurney model. We all can see how the Patriots never get too attached to anybody aside from their core and Tom Brady. The rest of their team is expendable and this is why they're relevant EVERY YEAR. I'd much rather sacrifice one season if it meant 10 good ones then to go all in on one season and have 5 bad or mediocre ones.

Sent from my LG-LS840 using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

People need to relax, I bet everyone freaking out will be singing the praises of the Panthers FO by the end of the season.

Your overreactions are keeping me entertained at work though. Thanks.

As soon as an FA WR signs with another team it's the same 20 people blowing up every thread, insulting GMan, and than patting each other on the back for their terrible jokes they think is funny.

Archived