• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fans have spoken time and time again, winning is ALL that matters. Why cant owners get this?!

PanthersUnited

Are you suggesting doing it the wrong way?

It depends on what you define as "the wrong way."

Am I endorsing cheating? No, this isnt what I'm suggesting.

But if you think relegating yourself to constructing a team built out of only glorious knights who have never fallen down is somehow the "right" way, then lol at you and everyone else who proudly flies the "LOSING WITH DIGNITY" banner.

Here in Pantherland, we punish players who taint "the image" whether theyre guilty or not.

doing it the right way has netted the Panthers 0 championships and the Patriots, in contrast, 4.

So you are saying if we want to win Championships, we have to stretch the rules like the Pats? I guess if you can live with yourself, go for it. Me? Cheating, or stretching the rules is for folks with questionable ethics.

Also, many think that it should be Panthers 1 Pats 3. That they beat us because they cheated. So the team you want to emulate, beat the team you root for, because they stretched the rules.

There are more teams without a Championship than teams with one. So we are not the only team searching for that magic formula to get us that elusive win. Maybe more teams should be willing to do "Whatever" is necessary to win. But then, when everyone is cheating, what will become of the NFL?

I would also like to add. Now that we have an actual "Football" guy running the show. Just maybe we can get there. Without having to stoop to the Pats level. I want to win. But, I also like to look in the mirror and not be ashamed.

Are you suggesting doing it the wrong way?

Is the "wrong way" doing good by and doing what is best for a player or bending to media demands even if they don't have all the information?

I don't think anyone is saying go and recruit the federal penitentiaries for football players. But at the same time, what if a player is unfairly scrutinized or accused of actions that are either untrue or sensationalized?

Ray Lewis may have murdered some guys. He has a statue, a Super Bowl ring, and a great job as an analyst on ESPN.

Then again, ESPN is one of the entities tooting the horn of Panthers tone deafness because we kept Greg Hardy on our active roster.

I am resigned to the fact that Hardy is done here. We will be okay. But just because someone makes up an accusation against you doesn't mean you can no longer win with a player you respect.

Anyways, I guess this thread was made in response to the Hardy build up. Like most decisions that are made behind the doors of the executive office, there's probably several reasons not to keep Hardy. The biggest of which happens to be his off the field bullshit. Whether or not he's guilty, the fact that this has even become an issue reeks of his irresponsibility. His association with Holder ended up costing the team millions of dollars we could have otherwise used to help other positions of need. It made the entire organization look like a haven for wife beaters because nobody fact checks these news sources when they take things out of context or just outright lie, and perception is reality. It cost the team when he had to wreck his bike and hurt himself a few years ago. He's too much of a loose cannon to help this team.

You have to take into account someone's ability to maintain composure when bringing them on board. That doesn't mean you just obsessive compulsively draft players that are off field saints and have no skill. You just have to reasonably keep it in mind. And some things happen that are just unforeseen.

I see both sides of the argument here and I really struggle to find myself a side that I agree with more than the other.

On one hand, I love the fact that the franchise prides itself on high quality guys. That is a very admirable trait in any organization in any line of business. I think it is great that they have a standard and way of doing things and expect players to fit.

With that said, I'm also disappointed in the lack of backbone and hypocrisy in this organization. Hardy, as crazy as he may be, is one of our guys. Clearly a guy who needs help (not financially but supportive). He needs a unit with strong leadership to aid in his maturation. An organization with high moral standards would punish the player and then do everything in their power to see that he is given help.

With the above said, that may have taken place and we just aren't privy to it. Maybe Hardy alienated himself with his reaction to how all this went down, or maybe the team knows more about the situation than we do. I really hope that is the case.

The franchise could do a lot for themselves in the eyes of their fan base by making a statement on the matter, but we all know that won't happen with Richardsons and Gettlemans mum-media policy.

In the end, if he is cleared in his trial, some other team will reap the benefits of a pass rusher who was well developed under this coaching staff and this franchise will be left with the moral badge of honor for "doing the right thing." The other franchise will not find any fall out from the media as the narrative on his case will then have changed to "Hardy found innocent, cleared to play."

And before anyone questions it, hitting a woman is deplorable. If he's found guilty, I hope he never plays again and gets the help he needs.

It depends on what you define as "the wrong way."

Am I endorsing cheating? No, this isnt what I'm suggesting.

But if you think relegating yourself to constructing a team built out of only glorious knights who have never fallen down is somehow the "right" way, then lol at you and everyone else who proudly flies the "LOSING WITH DIGNITY" banner.

Here in Pantherland, we punish players who taint "the image" whether theyre guilty or not.

I am not sure that you are drawing a line between what you call unethical-- would not do, and what you would do.  I think you are talking about players with character concerns.  Here is what seems to be missed.  There are more losing teams with questionable players than winners.  If you only look at the rosters of teams that win and find an isolated example here and there and feel that supports the recruitment of unethical players, I can show you 10 more rosters that prove otherwise.  I bet the Browns felt like they were stealing when they drafted Manziel and Gordon. 

I don't think anyone is looking to wave a "Losing with Dignity" banner, but we do not want to cheer for thugs, cheats,and criminals either.  There are children who aspire to be like these pros.  They buy their jerseys and pretend to be them on the playground.  That is the big picture.  But here is a news flash--you can win with people like Thomas Davis, Luke Kuechly, Ryan Kalil, Greg Olsen, Philly Brown, Trai Turner, Star Lotulelei, KK Short, Tres Boston, Bene Benwikere, CJ Johnson, and Colin Jones.  And there are some safe bets, people who were just growing up without hurting anyone, people like Cam Newton.  You can win with class. In fact, most successful teams are successful because the high character keeps the low character in check.  Why bring a cancer into the fold? Innocent or not, Hardy has a reputation of partying with assault rifles and crack hoes.  That is not the kind of players I would support, I don't care if they won.  But you assume you need thugs and criminals to win.  I don't.

Amen.

Any dude who thinks it's okay to hit/abuse women/children better pray they don't do it in front of me, cause i have no problems going to jail for taking their worthless lives.

^This guy thinks murder is less deplorable than hitting a woman lol.

Archived