• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Not Set At Wide Receiver

Jeremy Igo

It's why I would prefer Harry Douglas, I always thought he was buried behind Jones and Roddy White and was always solid

Harry Douglas has always been mediocre and and hes going to be 31 this season. 

he was there before Julio. Theres a reason they drafted Julio.

Everyone wanting us to get another WR I just have one question.  Where is he going to play?  Greg Olsen will be on the field on almost every play.  Kelvin will see most of the snaps on offense.  They are not going to cut Brown or Ginn now.  Usually 4 or 5 receivers are active on gameday.  Cotchery would cost us money to cut right now and as much as people like to say he sucks he doesn't suck he is just not great and doesn't have great speed to stretch a defense.  I am not saying they won't get another receiver in FA or the draft.  I think they will, but maybe not a big time #2 receiver that everyone thinks we need so bad.  It would not surprise me if the only other receiver they get is like a 4th or 5th round draft pick like a Kenny Bell or Stefon Diggs or Tre McBride.  And they might not be active all year unless someone get injured.

If we bring in a vet, I think it will be someone with questions marks that is willing to take a 1-2 year deal for small money. I would love to draft a WR in the first three rounds. If we got a legitimate Joker Tight End, I would be cool with that instead of a WR.

Kelving is our big guy. Philly is our little guy. Ginn is our fast guy. If we draft a WR or sign a UFA, what type of guy do you want in the mix? I'd want a route runner. Not a slow old guy but crisp routes, good hands. 

Now that Ted Ginn has been signed and Brenton Bersin re-signed I thought it would be helpful to take a look at the Carolina Panthers roster as far as wide receivers are concerned. 

Kelvin Benjamin - 6'5 240lbs 

Second year player. Huge target. Had a solid year as a rookie aside from more drops than the Panthers wish he had. Has solid #1 receiver potential. 

Ted Ginn Jr - 5'11 185lbs

Speedy nine season veteran return man and receiver. A nice deep threat and end around runner. Capable of stretching the defense. a 3rd or 4th receiver option

Brenton Bersin 6'3 210

Local dark horse receiver that beat the odds and made it to the pros. Had key first down receptions in 2014 that Panthers fans seem to have forgotten about. 3rd receiver at best. 

Jerricho Cotchery 6'1 205lbs

Twelve year veteran. Great leadership and locker room presence. Questions linger on how much he has left in the tank. A solid second receiver earlier in his career. No better than a third now. 

De'Andre Presley 5'10 190lbs

App State QB that has seen time at corner and receiver. A long shot to make the Panthers squad this season. 

Corey Brown 5'11 180

A lot like Ted Ginn, but less punt returner and more receiver. Proved himself late in the season as a deep threat. A long term 3rd or 4th. 

Looking over this roster it becomes clear that the Carolina Panthers are missing a true number two receiver. A guy that can take the pressure off of Kelvin Benjamin and force more single coverage. 

Last year, the Panthers learned a lesson at the receiver position. They had too many 3rd and 4th receivers, and not a legitimate 2nd. Jason Avant, Jerricho Cotchery, Brenton Bersin.... all three basically the same. The result? No one getting open, Cam Newton being sacked. Looking at this year's roster.... don't they have the same problem? At least for now, it appears they do. 

However, look for the Panthers this season remedy the situation before the season begins. This current roster is not complete. Two, or possibly even three of names on it now will not be on it come September. The Panthers will try to fill the number 2 receiver void through the draft (probably) or free agency (less likely). 

This post has been promoted to an article

If we can get another good pass catching TE ala Shockey I'd be happy with this WR group.

Anyone remember how comfortable Cam looked in a true 2 TE set?

I don't see Parker, White, or Cooper falling.  Strong would be the obvious choice if available but I don't know if anyone past him matches up value wise compared to what may be available at other positions. 

I think there are some teams that will reach for Perriman and Devin Smith though but that wouldn't be DG.   

Who knows what will happen.  All I know is I wouldn't be surprised if they went WR, OT, or DE in the first.  RB or LB would definitely surprise me.

Everyone wanting us to get another WR I just have one question. Where is he going to play? Greg Olsen will be on the field on almost every play. Kelvin will see most of the snaps on offense. They are not going to cut Brown or Ginn now. Usually 4 or 5 receivers are active on gameday. Cotchery would cost us money to cut right now and as much as people like to say he sucks he doesn't suck he is just not great and doesn't have great speed to stretch a defense. I am not saying they won't get another receiver in FA or the draft. I think they will, but maybe not a big time #2 receiver that everyone thinks we need so bad. It would not surprise me if the only other receiver they get is like a 4th or 5th round draft pick like a Kenny Bell or Stefon Diggs or Tre McBride. And they might not be active all year unless someone get injured.

If the guy is a true number 2.. He will play over Brown and Ginn who are 3/4 WR at best.. And Dave Gettlemen said himself that Cotchery was a dollar store signing. . So he is a sure thing to be on the roster. .

Neither is Brown for that matter..

If we bring in a vet, I think it will be someone with questions marks that is willing to take a 1-2 year deal for small money. I would love to draft a WR in the first three rounds. If we got a legitimate Joker Tight End, I would be cool with that instead of a WR.

Kelving is our big guy. Philly is our little guy. Ginn is our fast guy. If we draft a WR or sign a UFA, what type of guy do you want in the mix? I'd want a route runner. Not a slow old guy but crisp routes, good hands.

A guy who can do it all and Challenge KB for the number 1 spot..

If the guy is a true number 2.. He will play over Brown and Ginn who are 3/4 WR at best.. And Dave Gettlemen said himself that Cotchery was a dollar store signing. . So he is a sure thing to be on the roster. .

Neither is Brown for that matter..

The panthers can afford that?  And get help in the secondary and get another D-lineman or 2 and get a 2nd TE?  All of that with maybe $10 million in cap room.  Hey I am all for it if they can I just don't want to go back to Hurney economics and spend every dollar you can now and fug the future up with contracts of Cam and Luke and Norman and at least 1 of either KK or Star coming up.

Archived