• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers claim OT Jonathan Martin

jamos14

I'm not a big fan, but they do at least know more about football than you do.

This is a good, low risk, high reward signing.

The PFF guys know as much football as the above average fan, there ratings and grade system makes no sense.

Imo this is a we are desperate, have no money, he's cheap, hoping for the best, no reward signing.

Good analysis.

They're checking out another guy too (visited yesterday).

Saw that.... great find!  

Not familiar w/ him, other than he was a former 2nd round pick and was a back up on the Jets last year.  Their OL was pretty horrible last year too, so if he couldn't crack the lineup, then he is simply just depth.....which I'm okay with.

Would rather stock the cupboards heading into the draft and this summer, and have to cut folks instead of scrambling to add talent. 

• Pie 2

Saw that.... great find!

Not familiar w/ him, other than he was a former 2nd round pick and was a back up on the Jets last year. Their OL was pretty horrible last year too, so if he couldn't crack the lineup, then he is simply just depth.....which I'm okay with.

Would rather stock the cupboards heading into the draft and this summer, and have to cut folks instead of scrambling to add talent.

Santa Claus wishes he could see as much as Aaron Wilson does.

And I agree.

I swear, people love PFF when it supports their point, but condemn it when it doesn't.

(General observation, not directed at anyone in particular.)

I agree with those like this pickup though. The kid has the tools.

Offensive line has always been about technique and the ability for the unit to communicate and develop chemistry.

The best lines never have five first rounders out there.

Just bring in variety, then find the best fit of five guys.

I don't know about this, but I do see your opinion.

My thought is, an OL is made up of 5 guys that build chemistry, and are strong as a sum of their parts.

Oher, Remmers & Martin might not be All-Pro tackles or anything more than average tackles, but when they bookend Norwell-Kalil-Turner, the whole unit balances out their deficiencies.

I think 1 of these 3 tackles will emerge as an above average tackle this year. That gives you 4 out of 5 OL that are dependable. Norwell, Kalil, Turner and Remmers have 1/2 a season to build off of, and if they can stay healthy, I think this OL is instantly better than the crap we saw for most of last season in the trenches.

I might be a homer here, but I will wait to judge Oher before seeing him healthy and reunited with Matzko. I will also hold judgment on Martin until I see him with this team. We're getting Martin in late March, which gives him all offseason to get acclimated to the core of that line.

It wouldn't surprise me if both flop here, but knowing how changes of scenery and being fully removed from injuries can have positive affects, I'm willing to give them both the benefit of the doubt.

Regardless, I think if we roll out Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Remmers or Oher-Norwell-Kalil-Turner-Martin, it will be stronger, better and safer for Cam & the running game, than it was in 2014.

Considering the $1M pricetag for a former 2nd round pick that is only 25 years old, I'm good with it. Worst case it's depth if that horrible injury bug bites us again. Martin can step in and at least provide a band-aid.

Just my 2 pennies.

Have you ever that saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks, well Martin and Oher are those old dogs.

I've seen Martin since his Miami days, the oline got better the minute he left. Then he goes to SF with his former coach and still is complete garbage not even the gullible niners fans like him, they have a thread dedicated to him and its endless pages of bashing.

Oher has been trash for 3 straight season sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade. Tennessee line was garbage and he was there worst starter.

Last season towards the end of the season our line did improve but it was marginal at best, what really happened was that the running game got going and we went no huddle.

John Lynch (I believe)said it best when are line was forced into passing situations they folded like a cheap lawn chair, this line we have now isn't meant for comebacks or shootouts of any kind.

I swear, people love PFF when it supports their point, but condemn it when it doesn't.

(General observation, not directed at anyone in particular.)

I agree with those like this pickup though. The kid has the tools.

Offensive line has always been about technique and the ability for the unit to communicate and develop chemistry.

The best lines never have five first rounders out there.

Just bring in variety, then find the best fit of five guys.

Voth generally cites PFF with a "for what it's worth" disclaimer.

It's pretty difficult to put stats to an OL. I prefer the eyeball test.

Have you ever that saying you can't teach an old dog new tricks, well Martin and Oher are those old dogs.

I've seen Martin since his Miami days, the oline got better the minute he left. Then he goes to SF with his former coach and still is complete garbage not even the gullible niners fans like him, they have a thread dedicated to him and its endless pages of bashing.

Oher has been trash for 3 straight season sometimes you gotta call a spade a spade. Tennessee line was garbage and he was there worst starter.

Last season towards the end of the season our line did improve but it was marginal at best, what really happened was that the running game got going and we went no huddle.

John Lynch (I believe)said it best when are line was forced into passing situations they folded like a cheap lawn chair, this line we have now isn't meant for comebacks or shootouts of any kind.

And again, instead of laying out a plan, and explaining it in full detail, you just bitch.

You do what your are.

• Pie 2

Except old dogs learn new tricks in the NFL all the damn time.

Nobody thought Elway would ever get another chance at a Super Bowl... until Mike Shanahan became his coach.

Nobody thought Jim Plunkett would ever win a Super Bowl... until Dan Pastorini (the Raiders starter) got hurt in 1980 and an old, washed-up, back-up QB Plunkett had to step in and fill in for the rest of the year, won 9 of the Raiders remaining 11 games, earned a Wild Card berth in the playoffs, and won the Super Bowl.

And another point to your faulty old adage... neither Oher nor Martin are "old dogs".  They are still young.

Edited by tiger7_88

Some people amaze me!!!! Martin and oher deff aren't all pros at this point but I tell you what, Martin/Oher or Remmers/Oher sounds a hell of a lot better than Bell/chandler! I expect our OL and offense as a whole to be a hell of a lot better this season and not the swinging door icindiary trash we saw for the majority of last season....AAAAANNNDDD im gonna go on a limb and say have 2 players on the OL selected to the Pro Bowl this season...Boom

• Pie 3