• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Archetypical slot corners, slot receivers, and the 2015 Carolina Panthers

PhillyB

Fantastic Write up, one of the best I've seen on here.  I too have wondered about Shaq's number situation though, but I've just assumed that he would still be able to be used in the role mentioned.  I mean, there's no way we drafted him in the first and didn't expect him to play in that role.  But the biggest wildcard is what was mentioned with Funchess.  Originally, I was wondering why we were going after another huge target and missing speed (although, he has more speed than what was shown at the combine), but once you realize his ability to slide inside like he did at Michigan and go all over the field is absolutely devastating to defenses.  The goal is to get the matchup like PhillyB said, get Captain Munnerlynn on Funchess.  It's a mismatch that a good QB will take advantage of all day long. 

Excellent content. Wish you would have made it a blog post for longevity sake. 

​i didn't think about it at the time... i suppose it's too late for that now. i have my doubts whether anyone would bother to seek on my blog anyway, unless it made it onto the front page here, so maybe it's just as well.

Fantastic Write up, one of the best I've seen on here.  I too have wondered about Shaq's number situation though, but I've just assumed that he would still be able to be used in the role mentioned.  I mean, there's no way we drafted him in the first and didn't expect him to play in that role.  But the biggest wildcard is what was mentioned with Funchess.  Originally, I was wondering why we were going after another huge target and missing speed (although, he has more speed than what was shown at the combine), but once you realize his ability to slide inside like he did at Michigan and go all over the field is absolutely devastating to defenses.  The goal is to get the matchup like PhillyB said, get Captain Munnerlynn on Funchess.  It's a mismatch that a good QB will take advantage of all day long. 

​the problem we had last year is we had a mismatch with kelvin benjamin, but if you put him up against slot corners, who was going to play outside? cotchery? berson? corey brown, sure, but he was still coming into his own. defenses could just bracket benjamin and let the defensive line do the rest of the work.

now we have two big receivers. putting bejamin in the slot to create a mismatch means you've still got to contend with funchess/brown outside, and of course olsen.

moving up to grab funchess may be the best move this franchise has made in the gettleman era so far, even better than benwikere, if it pay these kinds of dividends. 

This is why I still check out the site in the off season, sure the poop talk and the usual banter is entertaining, but these posts make me consider a paid subscription ( just to support open posts like this). Not only does the OP break out formations by diagram but adds the flexibility we have with new players.

besides just having this type of posting in a blog- maybe have a new section on HOW the fug the game is played and more importantly how the Panthers play it. Imagine if the average fan knew the packages and could spot a switch in personnel in those packages for adjustments during the game.

I'm so psyched for the D this year and the OP nailed it to why- different looks and plug and play positions ( Shaq will flourish in the this D). We'll be flying around the field...

Well done PB, Keep it coming

Great post.  It's entries like these that have me loving the Huddle.  I'm learning so much about the Panthers and the game that I never appreciated as a casual fan. 

Safe travels!

Great post and excellent commentary on why the Huddle is such a great forum. OP has more in depth analysis and rationale on football than BR will have on its entire site in July.

If we intend to use Shaq in the Haruki role, why did we give him a linebacker's number instead of the 40s, which now can be used at both safety and linebacker?

That's the hangup on the Shaq excitement. In theory he fits the Colin Jones role you have described perfectly, but everything Rivera and Gettleman have said suggests he is a Klein/Glanton/Blackburn replacement.

​I thought the same thing but in reality, you can still place him anywhere on the field, his number can't restrict that.

And I'm not sure why anyone ever would have thought Haruki was ever going to be that versatile, that would have been a reach at best.

​I thought the same thing but in reality, you can still place him anywhere on the field, his number can't restrict that.

And I'm not sure why anyone ever would have thought Haruki was ever going to be that versatile, that would have been a reach at best.

​I still can't believe we signed Haruki Nakamura, let a lone had him starting. Good Lord, just how bad was our defensive back field for that to have even been the out come. 

Nakamura, Godfrey, that guy from SF (forgot his name), Sherrod Martin, who were our safeties that year as Norman was in his rookie year at the time. 

Archived