• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Despite recent trade, Panthers still in need of receiver help

Jeremy Igo

people play that game every year....

there are 32 teams each carrying 60 plus players right now....there are tons of players that could be had AT A COST better than the likes of Bersin.  All depends on if you are willing to pay.

I say it is worth overpaying for someone and taking on more than you would like in that particular player......b/c big picture it is about Cam and things are setting up for him to get hurt.  No WRs plus a stacked box = no traditional offense which means Cam will be forced to be the video game guy to generate anything 

name the players, dude. you can't play this game every year like you did with OT's.

there is only so much talent to go around. talent doesn't grow on trees. thats why when someone like KB goes down our fanbase literally wanted to commit suicide. Same with other teams around the league. talent is rare

people play that game every year....

there are 32 teams each carrying 60 plus players right now....there are tons of players that could be had AT A COST better than the likes of Bersin.  All depends on if you are willing to pay.

I say it is worth overpaying for someone and taking on more than you would like in that particular player......b/c big picture it is about Cam and things are setting up for him to get hurt.  No WRs plus a stacked box = no traditional offense which means Cam will be forced to be the video game guy to generate anything 

The "name some" crowd is always my favorite.

Stevie Johnson, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Kenny Stills, Mike Wallace, Michael Crabtree are all players that were available at some point in the offseason. Every one of these guys would've been worth a look imo and would've been a solution to our problem right now. Instead here we sit desperate (anyone with eyes can see that) for a WR.

As for guys available now I'd take a chance on Denarius Moore, Kenbrell Thompkins and I'd for sure be calling down to Arizona and see if they still want to trade Michael Floyd.

well, indianapolis is considered one of the deepest teams in the league at wideout.  yet, if the colts lost andre johnson for the season and ty hilton had an injured hamstring their top two wideouts would be a first round rookie in dorsett and a slot guy in donte moncrief with vincent brown and duron carter being exchangeable between the 3/4 spots.  that's almost as shitty as our 2014 corps.

even the teams with awesome position groups would have problems if they lost their top two.  there just aren't a ton of teams out there that are stacked 4-5 deep like everyone thinks.

• Pie 2

The "name some" crowd is always my favorite.

Stevie Johnson, Andre Johnson, Brandon Marshall, Kenny Stills, Mike Wallace, Michael Crabtree are all players that were available at some point in the offseason. Every one of these guys would've been worth a look imo and would've been a solution to our problem right now. Instead here we sit desperate (anyone with eyes can see that) for a WR.

As for guys available now I'd take a chance on Denarius Moore, Kenbrell Thompkins and I'd for sure be calling down to Arizona and see if they still want to trade Michael Floyd.

So if we picked up one of those guys and KB never got hurt, people would be bitching at DG for drafting a WR in Funchess and not playing him so old ass Andre Johnson could play. We all know this fanbase and know what I am saying is true. 

So if we picked up one of those guys and KB never got hurt, people would be bitching at DG for drafting a WR in Funchess and not playing him so old ass Andre Johnson could play. We all know this fanbase and know what I am saying is true. 

Nobody worth listening to would be complaining abiut having depth at the WR position.

AJ wouldn't have taken reps away from KB. They could've had AJ move to the slot and had Funchess slowly work his way in. I really don't see how having depth at a position like WR is a bad thing. People are expecting way too much out of Funchess right now, DF isn't going to bully his way to 1000 yards like KB. I'm actually worried that due to the lack of depth Devin is going to be in over his head this year and it may hurt his development. As it stands right now he's the one going to be going up against the other teams #1 CB.

Last year we all watched as Brenton Bersin killed not one but TWO promising drives in the 3rd quarter in the playoffs against Seattle. Depth isn't a bad thing! For the record I'm not blaming BB, I'm blaming the coaching staff for putting him in a position he was never going to succeed in. That's why I don't want him making the team this year, I don't trust this coaching staff.

Edited by *FreeFua*
  • Pie 1

well, indianapolis is considered one of the deepest teams in the league at wideout.  yet, if the colts lost andre johnson for the season and ty hilton had an injured hamstring their top two wideouts would be a first round rookie in dorsett and a slot guy in donte moncrief with vincent brown and duron carter being exchangeable between the 3/4 spots.  that's almost as shitty as our 2014 corps.

even the teams with awesome position groups would have problems if they lost their top two.  there just aren't a ton of teams out there that are stacked 4-5 deep like everyone thinks.

That receiving corps is no where near as "shitty" as our 2014 corps. It has waaaaaaay mor upside.

No one is saying there are a "ton" of teams that are stacked, just several of them (some being real competitors) that would at least be able to have a semblance of a passing game based on their upside alone.  After KB and Funchess, there is no real upside. Some analysts even believe our WR is suspect even with a healthy Funchess.

Why argue against upgrading a "shitty" corps? I will never know.

Edit: let me put it this way, better to be in that number of teams, however big it is, than not.

Edited by top dawg

Looking at young cheap but somewhat upgrades:

-Matt Hazel or Cobi Hamilton could be an odd man out in Miami

-Sleeper cut: Jared Abbrederis in GB

Justin Hunter and Robert Woods would be two names that have produced with contracts that aren't incredibly substantial.  Both minorly injured atm but would definitely be upgrades. 

• Pie 1

Looking at young cheap but somewhat upgrades:

-Matt Hazel or Cobi Hamilton could be an odd man out in Miami

-Sleeper cut: Jared Abbrederis in GB

Justin Hunter and Robert Woods would be two names that have produced with contracts that aren't incredibly substantial.  Both minorly injured atm but would definitely be upgrades. 

Don't you dare suggest any more names in this thread, people will shoot them down because they don't believe that they have any value and are a bunch of scrubs.  Lord knows that it is just impossible and illogical that they would be a better fit for the Panthers and possibly---if not likely---upgrade our group.

Hunter intrigues me...

However, due to his off field incident back in July I doubt he'd be on Gettleman's radar. He's obviously been somewhat of a bust so far but like Ted Ginn, I think Hunter would really benefit from Cam's strong arm.