• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bulletin Board Material: 2-0? ESPN is not buying it

ncmonzta

Carolina Panthers

63.1 percent playoff odds, up from 33.3 percent

Carolina's first two wins have not been extraordinary, but they weren't close either. The Panthers controlled both games with their defense, which ranks No. 3 in DVOA through two games. In 120 minutes of football, the Panthers have not trailed, but their only lead of two touchdowns lasted just 2:22.

It's also tough to judge whether Carolina's two victories came over easier opponents than Atlanta's two victories. Going into the season, it certainly looked as though the Eagles and Giants were better teams than the Jaguars and Texans. But if Blake Bortles really has taken a step forward, the Panthers look pretty impressive for holding him under 200 yards with two picks. One obvious concern: the offense, which doesn't really look any better than we thought it would before the season. Jonathan Stewart is averaging only 3.4 yards per carry and the passing game definitely misses Kelvin Benjamin.

Much like Atlanta, the Panthers are a mediocre team with an easy schedule. But their easy schedule isn't quite as easy as Atlanta's -- and Tony Romo might be back by the time Carolina travels to Dallas in Week 12.

For real? No, but like Atlanta, the schedule keeps them in the playoff hunt. Our simulation says the two NFC teams with the highest chance of a wild-card spot are Carolina and Atlanta.

From Espn Insider. http://espn.go.com/nfl/insider/story/_/id/13728467/analyzing-which-2-0-teams-real-contenders-nfl .

Haters gonna hate

You  win in the NFL with defense. NOT flashy running backs and receivers. That has been proven over and over and over. Look at a lot of the past Super Bowl teams. Great defenses with mediocre to decent offenses. We are better than Atlanta because our defense. I don't give a poo about strength of schedule. Cam has become a great leader on offense and doing what we need him to do. We are controlling the time of possession and playing great defense. That's how you win in the NFL. not by how many flashy offensive players you have.

If it makes them feel better, if I had the choice I wouldn't by ESPN either. This team is good. Not great, not elite, but it's a team that can sustain and knows how it can win ballgames. It's not sexy - to outsiders, although it really is fun football - so I don't expect them to buy it, nor do I really want them to.

It will be so much sweeter when "SOMEHOW" we lucked into a 12-4 / 11-5 record. Keep pounding, BSPN, keep pounding.

63.1 percent playoff odds, up from 33.3 percent

Carolina's first two wins have not been extraordinary, but they weren't close either. The Panthers controlled both games with their defense, which ranks No. 3 in DVOA through two games. In 120 minutes of football, the Panthers have not trailed, but their only lead of two touchdowns lasted just 2:22.

WRONG!!!!!

We have trailed. 3-0 against Texans. 

Exactly.  You beat me to it.   If they can't get even that simple fact correct, it shows you how much the rest of their analysis is worth.

We trailed for 3 drives against Houston - about 7 minutes of the game.  Here's the relevant section of my gamebook spreadsheet:

time_trailing.thumb.png.6d099e9d1a741021

Time and drives when the score was tied (including 0 - 0) don't show up above.

Archived