• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Just rewatched week 6 contest

Pantherxtreme

Just now, Smithers said:

Allen has been decent against the run as well.  We just need to get to the QB. It will be a long day if Wilson has plenty of time and a clean pocket.  Same thing with the remaining QB's in the playoffs...Rogers, Palmer, Brady, Big Ben, etc.  Not saying we still can't win those games without getting pressure, it just puts more pressure on Cam and the offense.

I personally think with the week to rest will be HUGE for Allen at his age, remember, the bye week during the season he just got here, was trying to learn the playbook, AND was banged up.  Personally, I'd keep him out there for the vet presence, but balance him with Ealy on the other side who has the ability to do all the things that CJ does but better.  The only concern you get with Ealy is the penalty concern but that kid will never learn if not given the opportunity.

I think you'll see Delaire in there only when it's an obvious passing down (3rd downs mostly). He has all of the motor and speed in the world, but still needs to work on discipline.  I do hope he gets a jersey Sunday and is able to fulfill that role. I wonder who the 3-4 players that the coaching staff has to decide between are? Would you sacrifice a ST player or a Bersin type player to get an additional DL player in the rotation.

Having speed on the edge makes Russell have to step up in the pocket which is not a strength of his, and more of a weakness. And with Star and KK able to get push, that is a good recipe for success. I noticed Delaire getting pressure as well but haven't noticed him in the second half of the season nearly as much. He was so good with his hands and feet I hate that his opportunities have diminished. 

7 minutes ago, Peppers90 NC said:

Having speed on the edge makes Russell have to step up in the pocket which is not a strength of his, and more of a weakness. And with Star and KK able to get push, that is a good recipe for success. I noticed Delaire getting pressure as well but haven't noticed him in the second half of the season nearly as much. He was so good with his hands and feet I hate that his opportunities have diminished. 

Having speed on the edge, without control makes Russell just dip his shoulder, roll out and have acres of green in front of him.  Not to mention the fact that he throws a prettier ball on the run than I have ever seen.

That QB can absolutely kill you with those long "lucky" plays.....I'm not one to call them that, as the sample size is now far too big to call it lucky.  He, and that team, are just really good at extending broken pass plays.

The big difference this game, and why pass rush will be all the more critical, is in the Seahawks' passing game. Baldwin has been on fire lately. And on our end, the last time we played Seattle, we had the trio of Norman, Bene and Tillman. Now we're down to Norman, a 4th stringer who was retired at the beginning of the year, and Colin Jones. That sounds like a feast if Wilson has time to pass from a clean pocket or improvise. Pass rush is absolutely going to be the thing that wins this game for us, and I'm inclined to agree with Fuzz et al that more important than speed is securing the edge. The goal shouldn't be sacks from our ends, but rather constant pressure to rush his throws, and ensuring that Russel stays in, and ideally has to step up into the pocket, and into the hands of KK and Star.

9 minutes ago, Captroop said:

The big difference this game, and why pass rush will be all the more critical, is in the Seahawks' passing game. Baldwin has been on fire lately. And on our end, the last time we played Seattle, we had the trio of Norman, Bene and Tillman. Now we're down to Norman, a 4th stringer who was retired at the beginning of the year, and Colin Jones. That sounds like a feast if Wilson has time to pass from a clean pocket or improvise. Pass rush is absolutely going to be the thing that wins this game for us, and I'm inclined to agree with Fuzz et al that more important than speed is securing the edge. The goal shouldn't be sacks from our ends, but rather constant pressure to rush his throws, and ensuring that Russel stays in, and ideally has to step up into the pocket, and into the hands of KK and Star.

This is the way that I would want to handle him as well, but I just think that you can't.  Russell typically doesn't "climb the pocket" like most QB's, it's not his game, and he's short.  The closer to the line he gets the harder to see downfield.

Honestly, much like Cam, it's just really hard to contain him.  You are correct, we don't need sacks from the ends, some from KK would be awesome, but we do need to move him off his spot, while keeping him in the pocket.  Not an easy task.

One good thing, and hopefully the coaches were doing it.....but I would have bet a $100 to a broken jar of goat piss that we would be facing the Hawks or the Packers this weekend....both Russell and Rodgers play a similar game outside of the pocket, so hopefully they have had 2 weeks to gameplan that stuff.

6 hours ago, lightsout said:

I'd be willing to bet folding money that Rivera has kept Ealy and Delaire out for the specific purpose of playoff pressure. Keep them healthy and fresh, because if either goes down in regular season, we're in trouble. Addison, Ealy, and Delaire are our speed rushers and having them fresh at this point is huge.

Give Delaire a jersey, if you have to pick a position to take one away, make it receiver or RB. If it's RB, sorry Fozzy, but CAP is running better. If it's WR, I'm assuming Bersin (if he's active). Then again, Bersin does have that tendency to pick up big 3rd downs.

Whatever. Dress whoever helps us win.

I hope you are right.

But I don't have faith in that at all.  Ron pretty much is as straight forward as any NFL coach I have seen.

What I hope is self scouting this off week slapped him in the face and he realized he killed his own pass rush.

Minn's gameplan looked pretty legit though, contain Russel's escapability by not over-selling the edges, get above average/decent penetration up the middle and shut down the run, you know, like the last time CAROLINA beat them.

I'd be very surprise to see Wilson score consistently on this D. Might get a flukey TD somewhere in there, but not having Graham and possibly L.Wilson I think seals it.

1 hour ago, thefuzz said:

Having speed on the edge, without control makes Russell just dip his shoulder, roll out and have acres of green in front of him.  Not to mention the fact that he throws a prettier ball on the run than I have ever seen.

That QB can absolutely kill you with those long "lucky" plays.....I'm not one to call them that, as the sample size is now far too big to call it lucky.  He, and that team, are just really good at extending broken pass plays.

I agree 100%, but by speed I mean if they get there at the same time he finishes his dropback, his only move is to step up. If you look at Short's sacks that game, that is how they happened. You need push and speed plus discipline, definitely not arguing that and that is hard to do consistently throughout a game.

Doubtful Delaire will even get a jersey. I actually expect Wes Horton to get promoted to the active roster and be given a jersey.  He is a better run defender and sets the edge better than Delaire.  Setting the edge and not over pursuing is probably the most important thing to do against Wilson to keep him from getting outside.  He can do damage in the pocket too but he's terrifying when he can get outside.

Archived