• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Roman Harper

unicar15

The guy has been a rock for us this year. By all accounts he was a huge presence in the locker room with his mentorship of the young guys in the secondary. But he's a free agent and there is a capable young safety behind him in Tre Boston who could be a starter next year. What do you do with Roman Harper? 

3 minutes ago, uscgamecocks said:

Tre needs to play without committing multiple huge penalties before I can trust him as a starter.  Giving free yardage to that pathetic offense - or putting our pathetic offensive line any closer to our own end zone - was something we could not afford last night.

who knows if they were actually penalties since the only replays we saw were oher and remmers getting beat. I'm skeptical 

5 minutes ago, uscgamecocks said:

Tre needs to play without committing multiple huge penalties before I can trust him as a starter.  Giving free yardage to that pathetic offense - or putting our pathetic offensive line any closer to our own end zone - was something we could not afford last night.

Until last night, Boston hadn't ever committed a penalty. Your comment makes no sense. 

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/B/BostTr00/penalties/

For contrast and to see what a penalized player looks like, Teddy Williams and his penalties: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/W/WillTe00/penalties/

I appreciate what Roman Harper brought to the team during his tenure, but I think Tre is ready for the full time gig next season. Harper's job was to get Tre and the young secondary ready for the NFL, and he did a great job at that. Hes too much of a liability now and Tre is too good for us to bring Roman back.

Sign the one day deal and retire a Saint.

36 minutes ago, BIGH2001 said:

who knows if they were actually penalties since the only replays we saw were oher and remmers getting beat. I'm skeptical 

They did show atleast the unsportsmanlike penalty, he slapped the ball out of the guys hand after the play.  Ticky tack, yes, but also a penalty.  As for the other penalties, it's no surprise they didn't show anything, didn't wanna show the NFL in a bad light after their blatant fug up on the first challenge.

Harper's best days are behind him and I don't know that Boston is the answer.  This has nothing to do with the Super Bowl either.  Harper was a liability in pass coverage all year.  However, he was a stopgap and the best option that we had.  Boston still looks like the same player from college ... for every good play there is one that leaves you scratching your head.  Don't like the attitude either. 

It is a necessary upgrade during the offseason and depending on how the situation with Josh works out, it may be our biggest need on defense ... followed closely by DE. 

44 minutes ago, Qu1million said:

Officials played a major part, used to that though....sucks, can't let them determine a game 

Only way to do that is blow a team out. Not going to happen when your a freshman at the Superbowl. The Refs for what ever reason are destroying this league. 

36 minutes ago, Snake said:

Only way to do that is blow a team out. Not going to happen when your a freshman at the Superbowl. The Refs for what ever reason are destroying this league. 

Didn't have a chance to blow them out with the atrosious O plan Shula came up with smh 

46 minutes ago, Snake said:

Sadly the NFL is becoming a big joke as NASCAR did. The fun is being sucked from the game and each year the refs get worse. 

1 hour ago, Squirrel said:

Funny a lot of people here was pissed off when he signed here.  Good mentor but on the field he was hit or miss.  But overall a good pickup. 

He seemed a lot more solid this year than last (although the stats don't necessarily support this). I say we keep him around if he want's to play (cheap). Worse case scenario, he can add depth and continue to be a mentor.

Archived