• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers will target offense in round one

Jeremy Igo

I don't like going RB in round 1. I don't feel the position is worth the value, unless you are for sure getting an AP type of guy. I especially don't like Derrick Henry. Trent Richardson had the same type of hype.

Edit: I also don't agree that the area we drafted for was an area of great need for the past three years.

In 2013 (Star Lotulelei), most people didn't expect us to go for DT because we had just drafted a couple DTs the previous two years, (Sione Fua I remember, I don't remember the other), and people expected us to let them play a bit more before throwing in the towel on them.

2014, (Kelvin Benjamin) was an area of need, I grant you, but I think it coincided with the BPA.

2015, (Shaq Thompson) was certainly not an area of need. We drafted Shaq to eventually replace TD, I think, but it was by no means a glaring need. 

Championship teams are built by drafting BPA, with the exception of the QB spot, (not gonna draft a QB before round 4, as it makes no sense given that we have our franchise QB). If two players that are close together in overall value are both available, then maybe you take the guy you have rated a tad lower if he also fills a need. Overall though, you don't reach on prospects over the top of players your scout team has rated higher just because they fill a need.

• Pie 2

35 minutes ago, Growl said:

Hope we don't take Dodd or Lawson, Daquan Bowers was also a DE at Clemson

Every school has guys who don't work out.  It only scares me when it's repeatedly guys at the same position playing in the same system.  That's when it becomes a major question mark.  But, then again, that happened with Cal QBs then you get Aaron Rodgers.

12 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Every school has guys who don't work out.  It only scares me when it's repeatedly guys at the same position playing in the same system.  That's when it becomes a major question mark.  But, then again, that happened with Cal QBs then you get Aaron Rodgers.

Especially since Bowers problems were like all medical. His knees were done before he even stepped foot on an NFL field.

I'm crossing my fingers someone drafts Henry before it's our turn to pick.

We have picked a RB in what? 4 straight drafts all which have barely contributed. If we do draft a RB let it be someone like Kieth Marshall or Kenyan Drake a speed back who can return kicks.

4 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

We have picked a RB in what? 4 straight drafts all which have barely contributed. If we do draft a RB let it be someone like Kieth Marshall or Kenyan Drake a speed back who can return kicks.

Three drafts.  Two 6th rounders and a 5th rounder.  

Might be time to make a real investment instead of taking a late round flier.

5 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Drake would be a great pick for us in the 4th if he is still there. 

4 hours ago, Snake said:

Lol we drafted Kuechly because of Beason's injury. It was widely discussed and that's not bpa. We could never be bpa with Hurney because we didn't draft well enough or bring in quality FAs. 

Well there is no such thing as BPA without need and system fit but Hurneys first round picks where BPA because they all turned out to be the best at their position, aka Kalil, Kuechly, Cam, Stewart, etc. 

I think there will be a DE, DT, or CB that drops in our lap who we have rated much higher than either of the Henrys.

Boom, D it is

Seems like we had one of the highest scoring offenses already

Edited by stirs

1 hour ago, The_Rainmaker said:

Well there is no such thing as BPA without need and system fit but Hurneys first round picks where BPA because they all turned out to be the best at their position, aka Kalil, Kuechly, Cam, Stewart, etc. 

This is where people get confused and I get it.  What you just said was drafting by need.  We needed all those positions and drafted them because we didn't play in FA. BPA means a guy that is graded highest by our team is drafted. The tricky part is we don't know who is rated the highest. Doubling down on DT was definitely a bpa because other players were there we needed.