• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Football Outsiders Draft Grade: Panthers DEAD Last

Saca312

"Comments: Brown liked the Panthers’ selection of quarterback Cam Newton, and thought the third-round additions of Terrell McClain and Sione Fua will improve the defensive tackle situation. Cole gave general manager Marty Hurney a “D” for the disaster potential of the Newton pick."

This is a prime example of why draft grades are straight trash. Garbage. 

Also, they rank the Jags near the top every year, and how has that turned out for them?

In summary, draft grades are retarded. Draft grades being retarded means that people who freak out over drafting Bradberry are retarded. 

Sports writers who never made it as GMs, scouts, nor coaches have no credibility. They're just guessing based on limited information. If they were true experts then they'd be working for a NFL team and making more money. That being said, I don't like the DBs we have, and I know next to nothing about the CBs we've added. It appears to me that we're loading the front 7 to hide our mediocre DBs. That's our system. Nothing wrong with that. We can't afford a great front 7 and great DBs. No team can in the long run.  

1 hour ago, pantherj said:

Sports writers who never made it as GMs, scouts, nor coaches have no credibility. They're just guessing based on limited information. If they were true experts then they'd be working for a NFL team and making more money. That being said, I don't like the DBs we have, and I know next to nothing about the CBs we've added. It appears to me that we're loading the front 7 to hide our mediocre DBs. That's our system. Nothing wrong with that. We can't afford a great front 7 and great DBs. No team can in the long run.  

exactly, but what if your wrong and our CB and DB's we have added are actually good? Dominate top 5 Defense to go along with Cam... like those odds.

46 minutes ago, luke nukem said:

exactly, but what if your wrong and our CB and DB's we have added are actually good? Dominate top 5 Defense to go along with Cam... like those odds.

If any area I think is weak turns out to be good that's a huge win. I don't know the odds, but I want our picks to be Josh Norman 2.0s.

The difference between their grades and Gettleman evaluations is first of all we pick guys who fit our scheme which might not be as highly rated as other guys who are talented but don't fit our scheme. Secondly we pick athletic big guys who get downgraded because they are raw or not NFL ready right now. But we pick them because we have a great coaching staff who can get them ready and the patience not to throw them in there until they are ready.

We pick guys who fit our scheme and plan for the long haul. So flash and being NFL ready aren't big factors for us but are for the media guys judging us. Hence the schism.

15 hours ago, RelaxImaPro said:

Still waiting on all the haters that dogged his 2014 draft to go back and re grade it.  Including the UDFAs that had to be the best draft in the league that year and top to bottom and one of the best recently outside of the Seahawks a few years ago.

poo, KB, Ealy, Trai, Norwell and Bene would all go in the 1st round in a redraft.  Bene is a very good corner when playing on the outside instead of the slot (still decent in the slot).  Ealy is the weakest of that bunch, but even he has shown tons of flashes and is probably the best DE from that class until Clowney shows something.  I think he's gonna make the jump this year.

Then you throw in UDFA Philly Brown who is a starting caliber WR and Tre Boston.  2014 was straight money.

i think SI or some other site published a 2014 re-draft and i think three of our selections were graded as first rounders

I don't think Norwell, Bene, and Ealy would be first round picks in a re draft.  There is a lot of players to chose from and only 32 spots. Maybe one of them but certainly not all.

Archived