• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

If you watched the games, and you believe Stewart is the reason why the running game sucks...please explain yourself.

Wundrbread33

Stew makes our running game go but it would go much better behind a better o-line and with better play calling. I've said this in the past, we have an good pass blocking o-line (minus Remmers) and a poor blocking run o-line. Our o-line very seldom create running lanes and very seldom control the LOS. We do need another RB to pair with Stew and it's not CAP, although I would keep Fozzy as a number 3.

1 hour ago, E CaT PanTHer 2 said:

stew only averaged 3.8 yards a carry. dude is washed up

Of the other 31 starting running backs in the league, how many do you believe would have honestly rushed for more last year?

Concerning the injury history:

16,16,14,16,9,6,13,13,13 < games played for his career

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11247/jonathan-stewart

So for the last 3 years he has missed 3 games each year. 

So lets replace him with a guy that missed 6 last year;

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/559752/leonard-fournette

Let me settle this once and for all. Its not Stewart or the Oline that contribute to poor rushing stats its the scheme. When you play out of the gun as much as we have with Cam you are not going to rush well. Look at any good rushing team and you will see the QB in a single back or two back formation. That a because it gives the line and RB time to make and find holes. With that said if you have ever seen Cam in the single he look uncomfortable and its probably why we don't use it. So we need to either be Greenbay with a good short game or Cam needs to practice snapping out of the traditional stance.

Stewart is fine.  But he's closing in on the end of his career as a #1 back.  He is injured a lot, but doesn't always miss games because of it (however, I do think his effectiveness is impacted though).  So using games played is not really a good barometer of his health (we all know he's a tough SOB).  And there clearly are extenuating circumstances for his ypc (such as OL, no legitimate lead blocker, questionable play calling, etc.).

Nevertheless, he is still a good back for us, and can play a good amount of snaps.  I do think, though, that if we brought in another back to legitimately split carries, he could be a very effective situational runner for us for a few more years.  We just need to reduce his burden and not overload what his body can handle.  Give him time to rest and recover.  But that would mean an extension at a significantly reduced rate, and I don't know how he would feel about that (as far as I know, he might relish the opportunity to play longer without so much wear and tear on his body, but then maybe not...it's all just guesswork for us). 

How many teams would trade more than a late round pick for Stewart? If they trade for him they get him on a year deal at a salary of 5.5 million. 

If we keep him on our roster he has an 8.2 Million cap hit for us.

I never once  saw someone say Stewart all of a sudden sucks. However is best days are behind him and whether we bite the bulllet this year and save a nice chunk of cap space in the process or wait until next year it's coming regardless. 

I say be logical, save the money. Take advantage of this deep RB class like we did when we saved the money on Norman not because he sucked but because Gettleman didn't see the value in keeping him at his cap hit, even on a 1 year franchise tag.

Stewart has the 3rd highest cap hit of all RB's. Only behind Peterson and McCoy.

4h highest cap hit for a running back and 1 spot directly behind Stewart is 6.5 Million. Almost a full 2 Million behind him. 

The savings against the cap of 4.75 million without having to designate as a June 1st cut. This way we carry 0 dead money on him in 17.

We have other positions of need as well. SS being one. Stewart's current cap hit is higher than any SS in the league.

He is grossly over paid for what he brings to the table and has been for a couple years but because of the massive dead money incurred we have never been in a position to pull the plug without it costing us more to keep him. Now things have finally changed. So he needs to take a flat out paycut or it's time to make the correct business decision and move on. 

Let's see if there's any takers on the trade market, if not then time to take a pay cut not restructure and kick money down the road. Or lastly he needs to be cut and have the money reallocated. Even if we don't spend it this year, Rolling 5 million into next year will be something we won't regret.

So it's not a personal attack on Stewart or saying he's not a decent back. However he's not an 8.2 million dollar back no matter how you shake a stick at it.

Guest Lasus83
Of the other 31 starting running backs in the league, how many do you believe would have honestly rushed for more last year?

Concerning the injury history:

http://www.espn.com/nfl/player/stats/_/id/11247/jonathan-stewart

So for the last 3 years he has missed 3 games each year. 

So lets replace him with a guy that missed 6 last year;

http://www.espn.com/college-football/player/_/id/559752/leonard-fournette

Good post. Although I don't expect people with opposite opinions to be reasonable, consider the facts

Sent from my SM-G930P using CarolinaHuddle mobile app

This was like the first year in the last 7 where we had less than 2000 total rushing yards as an offense.

Also, regardless of J-Stew, we are in the market for an RB.  Fozzy is a solid #3/Scat type but we need that next thing clearly ahead of him and fresh.  It's hard to imagine we don't come away with a RB in the first 3 rounds this year.

A good tackle and RB are huuuuge needs this offseason.  

Remmers and Tolbert run block like their suffering vertigo. Anyone even remotely interested in football could see they looked like fools out there. Just some of the worst blocking, or attempts at blocking I've ever seen in my life. If Remmers isn't cut I'll be totally stunned. His run blocking is F-. Stewart isn't what he once was, but he's light years beyond Gettleman's terrible RB draft picks who should NEVER see the field. At least Stew is still a badass between the tackles. Obviously we need another RB, but can Gettleman find one if Fournette is gone? Well that's why this is all so much fun.

Archived