• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Matt Kalil Contract Details

Bartin

4 minutes ago, stbugs said:

I think it is basically a 3-25. 12M bonus, 9M in salary the first 3 years. I assume some other option/roster bonuses since it was supposedly a 25M guarantee. The other 30 appears to be an option bonus for 2021 plus 20M in 2020 and 2021 salaries.

And if he stays healthy and fulfills his vast potential, $15M per year in 2020 and 2021 probably will be healthy salaries in the future LT market, but likely not unreasonable salaries in that market.

Some bitchers and moaners were DEMANDING that Gettleman sign Kalil to a "prove it" deal.  I wonder if those same people will now admit that's pretty much what happened?

Nah... hating Gettleman means never having to say you're sorry.

35 minutes ago, Bartin said:

I don't know exactly how the option bonus non exercise fee works, but assuming we don't get a fee and it just works as a prorated signing bonus this is a pretty highly leveraged contract.

Cap hits:

2017: $3.4M

2018: $5.9M

2019: $11.9M

2020: $14.9M

2021: $15.4M

Significant dead money charges if cut before the 2019 season.

Cap hits are napkin math and this totals to $51.5M with another $2M in total pro bowl incentives($400k/per year) and likely $1M in total workout bonuses($200k/year). Add 0.2M per year for more accurate cap hits. I don't know where the other $1M is that makes it $55.5M total.

Edited: for some clarity.

THINK, I understand this. At signing we handed him a 12 million dollar check (the signing bonus). Remember everyone signing bonus can be allocated evenly over 5 years. 12 divide by = 2.4 per year

Year 1 salary of 1 million plus the 2.4 prorated signing bonus = year 1 3.4 million cap hit

Cost to cut after year 1. 10.6 Million in dead money. This is the remaining unallocated signing bonus( 2.4 x 4) + his guaranteed 1 million base in 18.

Now stop right there as his where things get crazy In 2018 is when that weird bonus hits if we don't cut him before start of league year. He gets a 10 million bonus no matter what in 2018, plus his 2018 salary is guaranteed. If we keep him, we pay that 10 million bonus in 2021. If we cut him we pay that 10 million right then and there. Plus the 1 million fully guaranteed salary. This means if we cut ties next offseason we will have 20.6 million in dead money. 

Moving right along now.

Year 2 salary of 1 million plus the 2.4MM prorated signing bonus  = year 2nd year cap hit of 3.4 Million.

Cost to cut him after year 2 = 17.2 Million in dead money. Thats the 10 million in option bonus and remaining unallocated 7.2 million signing bonus.

Year 3 salary of 7 million plus the 2.44mm prortated signing bonus =9.4 Million cap hit.

Cost to cut him after year 3: 14.8 Million to cut now :10 million option bonus that is due in 2021 would accelerate and be dead money immediately just as it would any year if not cut after 1st season. plus the remaining unallocated signing bonus = 14.8 Million to cut now 

Year 4 salary of of 10 million plus 2.4 prorated signing bonus=  12.4MM Cap hit

Cost to cut after year 4 : 12.4MM. The last unalloacted 2.4 million hit and 10 million option bonus for 2021

Year 5 he will be gone or have a new contract. Year 5 would mean a 22.4 million cap hit if contract is not restructured by this point. 

So in essence if he bust this year it's a 1 year deal that will cost us 9.7 in dead money to be spread over the next 2 years or take in a lump sum in 18 if we choose. If we don't cut bait right then and there the dead money to cut him every year after is a lot more.

To recap cost to cut a after year 1 = 10.7MM in dead money

After year 2 = 17.2MM

After year 3 = 14.8MM

After year 4 = 12.4MM

Year 5 of this contract will never happen in its original form. At this point he will have been cut or extended. This contract puts a lot of pressure on him to perform out the gate this year or he knows due to the math he will get cut. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy Igo said:

MUCH less of a risk than first thought. Panthers will only pay a lot if Kalil works out long term. Won't pay much if he doesn't. 

This is what I was telling everyone when they freaked out about the initial numbers, it's all in the details and not the headlines.

this a great contract for the Panthers!

Just now, AceBoogie said:

Nobody has to apologize for a GM doing his job, he damn sure ain't apologize to us for last season. 

Well, since he didn't sneak out on the field and injure our entire Oline, don't think he owes us one

Archived