• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Russell Shepard

SeoulPanther

51 minutes ago, SeoulPanther said:

I get that as the play unfolds the QB makes a decision based on his own protection, coverage and separation. But if I'm an OC i want to target a certain number of receptions for each player especially in pre-season. Surely across an entire game that's possible? Result be damned i want to know if these guys can do it. However good hes been in practice I feel sure he can't be happy about being anonymous in the two preseason games. 

The Panthers under Shula have been super conservative in the preseason. We run base and few wrinkles. It's why 2015 came out of nowhere. With that said DA has been terrible so that doesn't help either. 

Our WR depth this year is bad, even by our low standards. Having an elite TE like Olsen mitigates it some, but KB is the only WR on our roster that would be a lock on every team in the league's WR corp. And even he has his issues.

I'm not saying this to hate. I truly hope Samuel can provide a spark, and maybe Shepard and/or Byrd can contribute in a meaningful way.  To me, Funchess looks like a guy who could be a decent WR4 on a good WR corp. I hope I'm wrong. And McCaffrey is a wildcard given his receiving ability.

Truthfully though, there are a lot of question marks. I am hoping with an offensive line that seems to be greatly improved our guys will have time to get open.

But if you were to look at it objectively, we are an Olsen injury away from the potentially the worst receiving corp in the league.

We ended up being a lot better in 2014 than I thought we would be, and Cam has proven when he's had a decent offensive line he can make chicken salad out of chicken$Hit.

But just using today as an example, the Titans receiving corp looked better across the board (outside of KB). And it wasn't because the Titans offensive line played any better. Bill Both has even referenced it, and he's on the Panthers payroll.

Archived