• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sorry not sorry - Matt Kalil is an upgrade over Chris Clark, and I don’t think it’s close

Saca312

17 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Yep. Chris Clark did pretty bad against the Eagles. Like not just one time bad flashes like Matt Kalil. Like consistently getting beat Byron Bell style.

He’s also been beat the week before. And, lowkey been bad since the Bengals.

Hopefully Matt Kalil gets the nod to start soon. While he’s bad, he’s able to sustain drives of being good while he’ll have his 1 or 2 mishaps we all remember. 

I think the biggest difference is expectations/salary.  We get madder when an $12m LT whiffs on a block than some guy who was working second shift at Office Max when he got the call.

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

Sorry not sorry...Kalil isn't better.  Push at best.  Personally, I'd give the edge to Clark.  Yeah, he got beat on Sunday.  Philly got a great front.  You seriously acting like Kalil wouldn't of been beaten equally or worse? 

Matt's good for 2-3 whiffs a game. 

Clark was whiffing consistently throughout. 

Kalil is better than clark but not Moton, and next year our two starting tackles should be Moton and Williams god willing. 

3 minutes ago, CRA said:

Sorry not sorry...Kalil isn't better.  Push at best.  Personally, I'd give the edge to Clark.  Yeah, he got beat on Sunday.  Philly got a great front.  You seriously acting like Kalil wouldn't of been beaten equally or worse? 

Where Matt Kalil beats Clark is knowing all the dirty moves he can get away with.

Just now, Cracka McNasty said:

Kalil is better than clark but not Moton, and next year our two starting tackles should be Moton and Williams god willing. 

I still think the lack of watching how bad Kalil is....and watching an equally bad OT makes a select few think Kalil is now better.  Still don't agree. 

Philly DL would have beat Kalil like a drum and his history here backs that. 

8 minutes ago, CatTower said:

Where Matt Kalil beats Clark is knowing all the dirty moves he can get away with.

When it comes to playing on the line, this is the difference between a long-term starter and a bench warmer.

Now, get a guy who can both play the position and knows all the dirty tricks he can get away with, and there's a Pro-Bowler. I'm betting that's who we are scouting heavily for in the next draft.

Moton is going to stay on the right side for now because that way we at least have an actual strong side. Running plays headed to the right, as well as rollouts, were working and that is so important. Moving Moton to left tackle and putting Clark or Kalil on the right actually gets you two weaker sides, and that didn't work.

13 minutes ago, CRA said:

I still think the lack of watching how bad Kalil is....and watching an equally bad OT makes a select few think Kalil is now better.  Still don't agree. 

Oh I definitely watch them both.

This wasn’t the only time Clark’s been beat bad consistently. Started since the Bengals.

I’d argue Matt Kalil would’ve fared better and helped give Cam a bit more time in the first three halves.

Sure, they’re both sub-par. But Matt Kalil at this point is better than Clark.

13 minutes ago, CRA said:

On the scale of recent LT's we've had to use I'd say it goes Moton>Kalil>Clark>Remmers>Bell. Kalil isn't hot garbage, he's average. Clark is slightly below average. Remmers was bad at LT and Bell shouldn't have had a job. 

4 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Oh I definitely watch them both.

This wasn’t the only time Clark’s been beat bad consistently. Started since the Bengals.

I’d argue Matt Kalil would’ve fared better and helped give Cam a bit more time in the first three halves.

Sure, they’re both sub-par. But Matt Kalil at this point is better than Clark.

Why? Based on what? Last time saw him play was awful. And he is “supposedly” injured so who knows what effect that has. Let’s compare week 7 last year to Clark this year.  

With no significant difference in play, I’m not putting the guy on the field that will cost me 7M if he gets injured. Especially since he’s out with mysterious “knee soreness” already. 

That being said, I fully expect Kalil to play when ready. 

12 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

On the scale of recent LT's we've had to use I'd say it goes Moton>Kalil>Clark>Remmers>Bell. Kalil isn't hot garbage, he's average. Clark is slightly below average. Remmers was bad at LT and Bell shouldn't have had a job. 

Matt Kalil hasn’t been a league average tackle in a loooooong time. If he were average, there wouldn’t be much issue at all with him. 2015 Michael Oher is average. 

30 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

This line of thinking I can get behind.  It's not about where Moton plays.  It's about figuring out who our two best tackles are and getting them on the field.

1 minute ago, Toomers said:

Matt Kalil hasn’t been a league average tackle in a loooooong time. If he were average, there wouldn’t be much issue at all with him. 2015 Michael Oher is average. 

Oh dang, forgot to rank Oher.

Counter argument: Oher was above average in 2015 and I'd actually rank him above Moton in my initial rankings due to his full season of consistently good play.

So it would go Oher>Moton*>Kalil>Clark>Remmers>Bell

*Based on small sample size with potential to jump up the list. 

Archived