• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

VOTE! Kyle Allen for Rookie of the Week

GRWatcher

Allen looked good in a game that really didn't matter, but hopefully he has earned an opportunity to show what he has during the upcoming preseason. 

As Norv has already noted, the Panthers need to take the backup QB position more seriously, even if Cam shows up to camp looking like his old self, there is no telling how long his arm is going to hold up.  Can't waste yet another season being unprepared.

Having a QB in our last game who could actually throw the deep ball gave us a small glimpse at how dynamic our passing game can be.  We have ZERO deep bombs all season when Cam was the QB.  We get Allen in for one game and he completes 2!  I hope to God we can get Cam back at 100 percent.  We cannot have another season where the opposing D knows our QB cannot throw the ball more than 15 yards down field.  

On 12/31/2018 at 6:14 PM, Mr. Scot said:

To succeed Brees, or get a starting job somewhere else. He's a free agent.

Would you sign him as your starter based on that game?

Bridgewater?  Hell no.  He was thoroughly outplayed by Kyle Allen.  From what I have seen, Allen needs to be the backup next year. 

Of course they give it to Baker Mayfield again. His team lost, he threw 3 interceptions, and had a QB rating of a 79.1. He would have been the last person I would have given it to in week 17 especially when both of the two other QB's did much better than he did.

On ‎12‎/‎31‎/‎2018 at 2:27 PM, Woodie said:

NOBODY thought Allen was better.  Not you, not me, not the coaches, not any other fan or self-appointed QB guru on the Huddle.  Not one person here even remotely pushed for Allen to be the backup over Heineke after watching preseason.  Allen also had several tryouts with other teams while he was sitting on his couch and not one of them thought he was worthy of even a PS spot.  In college, he lost every starting spot he had, so even in college he didn't show he was anything special.

He's always had the physical talent, but he has never put it all together.  His physical attributes are what gave him the opportunity, now he needs to show that he can play like this on a regular basis, and not just against backups on a team that is mailing it in while waiting for the playoffs to start.  He's a developmental guy that nobody saw having the kind of game he did yesterday.

Well most fans didn't know if Allen was better or not because we only saw the two qbs perform in the preseason against 2nd and 3rd string and they both played well.  However people within the organization should have known.  Allen has more physical tools, has a better arm, and has much more poise in the pocket.  

As far as being a developmental guy....I'm not so sure. All rookie QBs are to an extent, but I don't see any difference developmentally with Allen as opposed to other rookie QBs.  In fact, I think you could argue that he's a bit more developed then other qbs in his situation.  Heinicke has been in the league for a few years, and was under Turner's system last year.....who looked more developed...him or Allen?  For a guy who's been bounced around his entire football career after HS....he looked pretty developed.  I think we're actually seeing some of the positive benefit from playing under multiple coaches and coordinators in college.  If you look at Allen's qb career during college there are some things to note.  First Kevin Sumlin from Texas A&M really mismanaged qbs.  Three good QBs all transferred out of A&M during Allen's tenure there.  Including the Heisman winner this year Kyler Murray.  Kenny Hill transferred to TCU, and Allen to Houston.  There was something happening bad with QBs there...and they all left.  I think that's an indictment on that program under Sumlin....not on the skill level of the QBs there.  

Allen then went to Houston and played for one year....a gamble on Allen's part because it's was the first year after the Tom Herman era in Houston.  I think if you saw Allen play under Herman....he probably would have been a first round pick.  Instead he's going there and playing for a coach who's just starting out.  Not a recipe for statistical success.  

Also there's a bit of a dichotomy regarding college QBs and pro QBs.   In the NFL....historically traditional QBs have always had the most success.  Pocket passers that can get the ball out quick and who can take snaps under center. In college it's the inverse.  Running QBs that run the RPO's in spread formations seem to have the most success.  For a guy like Allen this means he may have more success in the Pros rather then College.  

It was funny to see the live response in the Atlanta game when Heinicke was injured and Allen came in, and then when Heincke returned. Fans were unanimous in wanting Allen to stay in because he looked much better than Heinicke. I was very concerned that if Allen started against the Saints second stringers that he would carve them up. I didn't want a Saints win due to loss in draft position. Sure enough some Huddlers all but guaranteed a Saints win. So much for that.

The million dollar question is what will Cam's shoulder be like by next season? Will it heal, or is he done?

At this point we can clearly see that Allen has a stronger arm that Heinicke, and better accuracy as well. Heinicke has an edge as far as overall athleticism, but who cares. Allen is the winner so far, but we need to see him against better competition.

Bring him back, along with Taylor, and a legit backup prospect.

Let them slug it out in TC and Pre-Season, and see who Ron chooses.  Then immediately cut him, and sign the other guy.

We are likely going to need to carry 3 QB's moving forward anyway.

5 minutes ago, thefuzz said:

Bring him back, along with Taylor, and a legit backup prospect.

Let them slug it out in TC and Pre-Season, and see who Ron chooses.  Then immediately cut him, and sign the other guy.

We are likely going to need to carry 3 QB's moving forward anyway.

I'd rather see Allen, a journey man FA, and Newton. We've seen what Taylor's got. Good kid, gutty performance, not an NFL arm.

Archived