• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bulter 5th year option ...

sml1950

Is coming to the Friday deadline.  Currently he and Poe are really the only two experienced 0 technique Tackles for the 3-4.  His college experience in the 3-4 was apparently better than as a 4-3.  Surprising that a decision hasn’t already been made public.  Could they be trying to trade him for a 5 th year option safety or other DT?  Easiest thing is to decline and see what happens.  If he matures , you can sign him next year and cut Poe.

Really thought he was a candidate to get traded to NYG. 

I'll be interested to see how he performs as a 3-4 DE, which is probably the position he is best suited to play in the NFL imo. 

Regardless us not picking up the fifth year option is smart. 

If Butler busts again this year- you move on and cut your losses. If he balls out some dumbass team will probably give him a huge contract for a one year wonder of production

I don't know if y'all remember but Vernon Butler had some legal trouble last summer shoving and throwing a drink in the face of a woman at a nightclub in Dallas that I'm not sure is resolved yet. I saw him at the airport in Dallas in late Feb, at like 10pm, by himself, and my guess is he was there taking care of some of that legal business (can't verify that of course but just my guess given the circumstance). Pair that with his mediocre to poor performance on the field, IE being a healthy scratch at the end of last season, there is a 0% chance he gets his option picked up or even re-signed by the team.

Decline 5th year option and best case he surprises us and is useful and we resign, ha, or get a comp pick. Worst case he continues to do nothing for cheap and we move on next year. Not sure what we could get for him anyways and at this point, no one is proven on the Dline moving forward with the switch to 3-4.

Forget the 5th year option, he may not even be on the team this year.

The Panthers brought in three AAF defensive tackle’s, all it takes is one of those guys outperforming Butler for him to wind up on his couch this year.

It will come down to how much cap space we have but if one of those DT’s (Barnes, Qualls, or Vaeao) impresses in preseason then I wouldn’t be surprised to see Hurney eat the $2.8M this year to get better talent on the roster. Hurney’s not attached to Butler so he’d have no problem cutting his ass.

At this point do you take the $2.8M hit for a guy who is a liability every time he’s on the field or do you add an additional $725K to that and take on a guy like Vaeao who might actually be able to contribute.

Archived