• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers hire "Director of Analytics"

KillaCamNewton

49 minutes ago, KillaCamNewton said:

the Rivera approach of just putting washed up veteran players on the field or the Gettleman approach of dumpster diving for cheap plug and play players. 

I'd be very surprised if there isn't some level of analytics involved in all of this. Even if it's that low level gut instinct kind. Sometimes high level analytics confirms your gut instinct, sometimes it doesn't. That's another value of analytics. The analyzing part. :thinking:

It also breaks tells, habits because habits are not good in sports.

Analytics are used as a supplemental tool in decision-making. No business relies 100% on analytics...there’s still very much an element of human intuition in each business model, or else Managerial roles would become obsolete and decision-making would become a purely automated process.

So introducing (or improving) another component to help make better decisions for the team is 100% a win.

6 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

i worded it weird but you get what i mean. i just feel like any stats/analytics can be misleading. i look at it like completion percentage. a QB can throw a shitty pass but if the defender slips or theres broken coverage it can still lead to a completion. just like a QB can throw one right on the money and it can bounce off the chest of Devin Funchess or the DB could make an insane play on the ball. just feel like theres way more variables involved in football than any other sport

That’s literally things that analytics look at.

22 hours ago, KillaCamNewton said:

i havent done any. thats why i'm genuinely asking how much goes into it and what they truly evaluate. im not dogging the approach im asking for someone to explain to me how you can use it in ways MLB and NBA teams use it. 

Gottcha. It came across that you were saying it wouldn't help.  The article explains what types of things the analyst does and there are several others regarding the roll of analytics in the NFL. It's not super concrete or easy to pick up on exactly how they help but I take their word that the things listed are the things they help with.  Economics is some crazy broad stuff well beyond what it seems to mean on the surface. If he went to MIT for economics he's really damn smart and that level of analytical ability can be applied to everything. 

Archived